1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reviews Intel Core i9-7980XE Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 24 Sep 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Kind of surprised the extra eight cores compared to the 7900X didn't reduce the OC potential by a bigger margin.

Anyway, no doubt its a sexy cpu, but at some point financial responsibility has to kick in and £2k for a desktop CPU is far beyond that point for me.

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

As regards pricing, nay chance - doesn't exactly drop into the average consumer bang per buck category considering the current financial climate...

This is what tickled me most :lol:

[​IMG]

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Thank you AMD. They have shaken up the market and got Intel 'trying' again.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  5. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

That price though...

Thing is, a year ago this would have been a "good value" option since the only real comparison would have been against 18 core xeons, which were significantly more costly. But now, you're paying an extra £1k for the higher clocks and two extra cores. Your entire threadripper system could cost the same as the CPU alone here, which raises the point that you could feasibly build two threadripper systems for the same case, which for several of the multi-threaded workloads would destroy this one. Obviously that wouln't work in every scenario but it's certainly very possible if doing say render work, which is very easy to distribute reliably across more than one system.

IMO this is the point where having a dual socket threadripper (I'm not counting EPYC here) would be an amazing prospect.

This i9 is quite a technical achievement, but the pricing is just too far off, plus you get fewer PCIe lanes.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

So the RRP has jumped £200. That explains why my mate can't find one for less than 2300 Euro.

I'd like to see those dummy dies ditched off and a 24/32c TR now :D

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not going to happen, rumours and vague promises point to Zen refresh next year with higher clocks, then as soon as someone is capable of manufacturing it, Zen 2 die shrink with doubled cores per module.

8. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Hmm for the price of that CPU, someone could buy the EPYC 7401P and motherboard for around £1400.
    Or 2 EPYC 7301 and motherboard for less than £2000

9. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Intel just engaged Beast mode :D

10. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

To put it into perspective in terms of bang per buck -

Intel Core i9-7900X 10-core = $963 ($96.30 per core)
    Intel Core i9-7980XE 18-core = $1999 ($111.05 per core)

AMD Threadripper 1950X 16-core = $999 ($62.44 per core)

I'll say no more.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Talking about bang per buck and then just listing price per core seems a little silly as it's not just how many cores you get for your money, it's also about what those cores can do each. Otherwise, we'd be as well to include the following in your comparison:

Intel Celeron G3930 2-core = £34.99 (£17.50 per core)

:D

12. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Just as listing a non HEDT CPU and twisting what is a genuine price comparison - adult behaviour or fan boy moronic behaviour I beg to ask??

You'd actually buy an i9-7900X 10 core over a Threadripper 1950X 16 core would you?

Grow up

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Yes. But that's because I have a x299 board gathering dust in the next room. If i had to factor in the purchase of a motherboard, then probably not.

14. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Which was exactly my point, secondly by time memory prices drop at the end of next year Intel will no doubt have released yet another revision of the existing chipset.

15. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

On a new socket, don't forget. Can't use the same socket... even though it's the same socket. Logic, Intel. Money grabbing **** bags.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Even if it is the same socket, compatability is not guaranteed.

17. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That's exactly what I mean.

LGA 115* is all the same socket, as is LGA 2011 through 2066. They're all the same with different pin outputs.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

He has a valid point about IPC and you tell him to grow up. Real mature on your part.
    Yes, actually I'd still get the 7900X. I dont need 16 cores, 10 is plenty - even my 8 are plenty, and I'd take higher clock speeds and OC potential for single threaded throughput. Latency is important not the numbers game. If you spend a lot of time in CPU intensive apps, then sure the 1950X is ideal, but most of us use them for gaming and pissing about on the internet. You dont need 16 cores for that, it's pure willytug material.

19. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

IPC wasn't even mentioned in all fairness Rich - if your talking about Gaming and pissing about on the Internet being there sole use I'd not touch either or a HEDT platform.

Gaming in the here and now doesn't rely so heavily apon CPU cores in terms of numbers (the argument for IPC, overclocking and latency kicks in there), rather above a certain threshold resolution it's all about the GPU grunt.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Sep 2017
  20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nothing was mentioned. You just listed price per core without any other reasoning. He had a valid point there's other attributes.

Tags: Add Tags