1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guides Cable Sleeving: An Introduction to the Tools and Materials

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 23 Oct 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Earlier this year, when I got my Fractal Design Define R5 I, for the first time since I started self-building in 2003, actually put some effort into installing the cables tidily using the back-plate holes and ties provided. Going so far as to start sleeving the cables, this side of 2030, would be a step too far.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2017
  3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Having a quick look at some sleeving on e22, it has it sized as 4mm, seems rather large given the 18awg they sell is barely over 1mm. Or is it that when tensioned over the wire it thins down?

Last edited: 24 Oct 2017
  4. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

To be honest, I take the easy option now and buy pre-sleeved cables. Before these were available I used to do this a lot. The sleeving part was fine (although I used a hair dryer to heat up the shrink and later the heat gun I use for plastic tube bending); I always hated (with passion) trying to remove the pins from the power blocks. I lost count of the amount of the 2 prong tools I broke trying to get the wires to release.

I appreciate that you can get a far more customised version doing this yourself, but this was one part of modding that I never enjoyed - I did get a great feeling of satisfaction though when it was all done though - but not enough to make me want to do it again.

I only use the tools now for changing the white fittings that still come on some items (such as molex) to black ones to match with the rest of the cables.

Tags: Add Tags