1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Razer enters the smartphone market with $699 Razer Phone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 1 Nov 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Razer....... didnt **** this up? wat....

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They still could with software updates [or lack thereof], it's already an android version or two behind the other flagships [7.1.1 iirc] because they needed to make android play nice are refresh rates >60Hz.

It's lacking a headphone jack, as is the style of the time, so expect pricey rgb emblazoned dongles so you can connect your razer headset to your razer phone.

4. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

A usb c to 3.5mm headphone jack adaptor is included with the phone.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Am I the only person that refuses to buy a smartphone without a 3.5mm jack? I just can't be dealing with Bluetooth headphones. None last long enough for long flights, they're another thing you need to remember to charge, and I've already seen people dropping pods on the London underground. Shame as the big battery and cheaper-than-iphone price might have persuaded me given Pixel's screen gremlins.

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm always sceptical of Razer now-a-days with their shoddy quality. Don't know if that's the case with the phone but the specs are damn impressive and the price isn't ridiculous if you consider what other high-end phones on the market go for. I'd like to get my hands on one of these to see how it performs.

*goes back to his crappy iPhone 5S with no working home button*

7. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

100% this. I way looking forward to getting a Pixel 2 until they got rid of the jack.

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Guys it comes with a USB to a decent mobile DAC.
    Its more than just an adaptor.

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I stick earphones in when I go to bed so I need a 3.5mm jack. The dongle is useless in this case because I also charge my phone over night.

10. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Somewhat underwhelmed by this announcement, yes the screen sounds like it will be nice for games but I feel like they could have gone even further to make it stand out from the crowd - for example if you have played any games on iOS that use the Touch3D screen its a brilliant addition (especially for shooters where you can aim and then press to shoot) - implementing and working with software developers for that wouldve been a big plus. Haptic feedback so you get a gamepad type rumble? A collapsible game controller like the gamevice? Collaboration with one or more of the cloud gaming services like Liquidsky?

Its already been said but its clear the software will be key here, not just the OS but specific support from the developers, id expect most of Razers key demographic would be expecting AAA type games rather than the more common mobile games so it will be interesting to see if they are able to deliver

11. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Quick note. I've been hands on and the screen is buttery smooth and wonderful to use.

GravitySmacked likes this.
  12. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've read a few previews and watched a couple of videos and I have to say I've come away impressed, not bad for a first attempt, not bad at all. Echo the frustration about no headphone jack though, seems a dumb move on a phone aimed at a gaming audience.

13. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

Interested but also not. I have a reasonably powerful phone but play on my switch everyday on my commute.
    It has the games but also it is ready to play with no fuss. It also has controls that don't obscure the screen and feels natural.

If it was like a more powerful GPD pocket (think 7inch Quad-Core netbook with 8gb ram) with Windows 10 (with the proposed x86 on arm magic) and my stream library. I'd be very interested. If it happened to also be a reasonable phone is be ecstatic but i don't think the software is there yet.

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The high refresh rate screen is a nice feature, but a 'gaming' phone without physical controls is like a desktop PC shipping with a touchscreen only: missing the primary input method.
    Switched to bluetooth headphones yeras ago, haven't even touched a headphone jack on a phone since then. No way would I ever go back to tethered headphones when out and about. If I want to do any serious listening, then the first thing I'm going to do is switch to a device that isn't a phone, not try and tart up a phone into a respectable audio output device.

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Don't really use headphones unless on pc for gaming (but would of expected it on a gaming geared phone )

I have pixel 2 (HTC none XL) very fast to use, battery seems to last actual 6-7 hours considering the not not very big battery (most phones only last 2-4 hours unless they are over 3500mAh) and squeezy feature actually is nice to use norm use it to call numbers (could do with better auto backlight seems to jump up a level to high)

16. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I haven't used wired headphones on my phone for 18 months now. I'm currently using B&O H7s and get nearly 18 hours playback from the swappable battery with spare batteries available for under a tenner and easy to change. Call quality is pretty exceptional at both ends except outside in high winds.

Even a year ago the lack of a headphone jack would have been enough for me to not buy a phone without one but now I wouldn't miss it.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It could all be fixed if headphone companies started making USB-C headphones, or a svelte dongle that was built in.

But having said that, my Airpods rock the socks. I've only had them a few weeks and they've transformed the way I listen to music and podcasts, but that's because they work so well with iOS. I doubt Android could replicate the experience, but I'm surprised no one has tried.

This. 120Hz isn't compelling, low input lag is compelling. MOST smartphone touchscreens are 80-100+ms, which is toooo long. When @ ASUS we had PadFones down to 65ms, which was noticeably better, but it introduced all sorts of errors with the controller and Android, so it was slowed down in the generation after. Few are capable of a PC-like reactive speed.

But, please tell me what Android games are that compelling?? I've never seen a serious gaming experience on phone. It's just mounds of casual crap from whoeverdeveloper. Give me a FULL Civ experience and I'd take note.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Number of devices I could use USB Type-C headphones with: my phone makes one. Oh, wait, my new laptop: two. Number of devices I could use 3.5mm headphones with: about twelve, including my phone and my laptop.

Checkmate, USB Type-C.

MLyons likes this.
  19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

BUT YOU WERE MEANT TO SAVE US ALL TYPE-C.

That's why I also said a svelte adapter, not one with a floppy cable. Moving the DAC from inside the phone to outside has its benefits.

20. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

They could sell a protective case that includes a DAC with usb-c AND a 3.5 jack along with an extended battery, that plugs into usb-c on the phone. You know what, you could make it out of the same materials as the phone, or you know, actually ship it with the phone pre-installed. Wait. Did I just make a thicker phone. :|

/sarcasm

Tags: Add Tags