1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Capacitor companies hit with price-fixing fine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 Mar 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

New business strategy: Collude in a cartel to maximise profits for years then turn in your competitors so that they are fined and you are not - competitive advantage gained!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The EU's new business model confuses me. Did they just get together to sue the pants off random corporations? What will they do with the money if anyone pays up? Do they give everyone a euro after Merkel has spent a few hours rolling around on it naked?
    Can they sue me? :worried:

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, only the ones that have been breaking the law.
    Dunno: have you been breaking the law?

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Possibly.

6. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

Yes it strikes me as peculiar that by dobbing in the others they've gotten away completely. A reduced fine; I can understand that, but reducing a fine to nothing isn't a reduction, it's a let off. Not only that, but the collusion ended over 6 years ago. When setting the fines have they adjusted for inflation? The amount doesn't seem all that much when you're splitting that many ways (assuming roughly equal fines). If it was such a naughty endeavour you'd think the additional gains from the act would be worth a comparatively small fine 6 years down the road.

Who gets the money? Not anybody that was ripped off. And who learns a lesson? Nobody. Seems a bit pointless.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Actually, everyone who was ripped off - fines go into the general taxation pot, so that's yours and mine (and everyone else in Europe.)

Tags: Add Tags