1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple cancels Irish data centre plan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 11 May 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Why was it held up in the courts? (I CBA to Google it.) :)

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Planning permission granted in 2016.
    Followed pretty much immediately by residents appealing the planning permission through the Courts.
    Court ruled in favour of building it in Oct 2017.
    The residents appealed that ruling, while at the same time the Irish government went to Apple and promised to change the law (specifically to allow data centres to be classified as strategic infrastructure which would allow them to go through a simplified planning permission process).

The timetables are pretty normal for legal cases tbh, hard to speak of hold ups really.

Corky42 likes this.
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So would it be fair to say it got held up because residents objected?

Not saying it's wrong to object BTW just in case someones offended.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Idiots. There is absolutely nothing in Athenry. It's a desolate **** hole. Apple would have brought a great economic boost to that area.

From the grapevine, the planning permission objections did not even come from locals but people outside the area. The site was around Derrydonnell and the objectors were in LisheenKyle. It might seem quite close but in rural Ireland that's worlds away.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lis...63b0fca4766!2m2!1d-8.6921375!2d53.3596054!3e0

6. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Dummy out of the pram over Tax bill?

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Possibly. Busy bodies most likely, or perhaps a pay off by people with a vested interest in the project failing or relocating.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It does seem a pretty rural area, if i lived there I'm not sure I'd want a great big honking multistory data center plonked down. I'm surprised they didn't choose a site closer to offices or a city center although maybe that's to do with Athenry being closer to the west coast, IDK.

EDIT: I've just seen what the plans for it to look like, it doesn't seem to be a multistory afair, in fact it seems rather nice, a row of single story buildings with loads of trees around them so they're not a blot on the landscape, all rather swish really.

Last edited: 12 May 2018
  9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Maybe they thought the bloody foreigners in Galway would take the jobs and commute resulting in Athenry getting nothing but traffic out of it:hehe:

(and yes, that was a cheap joke about people in rural areas being so extremely backwards that they view someone from a small town a couple miles away the same way as racists in cities view someone from the other side of the planet).

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Never underestimated the power and irrationality of NIMBYism...

The same people kicking off about this are probably the same ones complaining that the area is a shithole with no jobs...

Tags: Add Tags