1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cryorig announces dual heatpipe M.2 SSD cooler

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 22 May 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...anyone else reminded of this?

[​IMG]

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Maybe it's just me, but it looks a little gimmicky. My Samsung M.2 drive is currently sitting around 38 degrees, which is well short of the warning threshold of 68 degrees - and, according to HWInfo, it's never ever gone above that figure. Sounds a little like putting a spoiler on a Robin Reliant :lol:

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I had a pair of those; might still have them in a drawer somewhere actually...

But...but...shiny!

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That’s a pretty dumb design, seeing as most M.2 slots are underneath a PCI-E lane...

I much prefer the EK ones that are just a few mm high and do the trick. My drive idles in the mid 50s and is easy to peak into the 80s or 90s without a heatsink on the controller. I guess these are aimed at those like me, with older SM951 or similar drives.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

and/or on the reverse of the mobo... or sticking out of the board at a jaunty angle [asus]... or on a daughterboard [asus/asrock]...

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  7. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

People... you're going about this all wrong. You are SUPPOSED to immerse your entire motherboard in a bathtub full of mineral oil and then pump that through a car radiator!

8. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

m.2 heatsinks: just as pointless as RAMsinks.

RAMsinks came about for the single generation where DDR2 FBDIMMs in servers required heatsinking (before they were swiftly dumped for RDIMMs again), and someone went "ooh, shiny, I want those at home!" and spawned an entire worthless industry. A single m.2 drive (PM871) misused (sold as OEM, intended to have firmware reflashed to suit thermal environment + be chassis-bonded in devices) by consumers needed a heatsink when operated with the unmodified shipping firmware and used in a front-side non chassis-sinked socket, has too spawned a pointless industry of unnecessary heatsinks.

9. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've not yet seen an M.2 SSD reach temperatures that require something that overkill... if you're going to put a monstrosity like that in view of your case window then you may as well go full on and put some awful RGB lights all over it.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not if you're the person making money from selling them. :p

11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

GH, you missed a trick there; where's the announcement for the C7 RGB? Rationed for another press release?
    Got to be a better cooler than the original (or even the copper variant...) because RGB

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Bah: RGB's for the birds, innit.

13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

But, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiny....:lol:
    I am just about to rebuild my LAN rig and think it's probably time to turn off the activity leds on my DDR3 Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM /inner magpie
    Maybe it's the big birthday looming, hitting the 'half way' mark :worried:

14. sandys

sandys Multimodder

My SSDs throttle but they do get used. Its the controller chip that over heats, I just stuck an old GPU ram sink on it I had in my box o' shite kept it in check, it isn't pretty but it used to sit in PCIe slot between 3x 290s, temps were insane. :D

That would look a lot better but not sure it would fit in that case (PCIe slot) An asus hyper m.2 x16 card would make more sense and probably available for similar money with active cooling and a couple or drives if you have lane bifurcation support and spare PCIe slots.

Last edited: 24 May 2018
  15. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

That’s exactly what’s on mine! An old VRAM heatsink with a bit of thermal tape. :D

Works like a charm.

Tags: Add Tags