1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve blames Apple for Steam Link app ban

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 25 May 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Ya know... Microsoft got a lot of crap for shipping IE in their OS's (in Europe) yet Apple and Google can control whatever goes onto their App Stores to a point where they can eliminate competition, and even worse on IOS because you can't really side-load an App while on Android you can just fetch an APK. At least IE can be used to download another browser.

3. Gusseteer

Gusseteer What's a Dremel?

This is really disappointing. I have been waiting to try this out since Valve announced it.

Come on Apple, surely this is anti-competitive behaviour?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Different times, iirc when Microsoft got a wrap on the knuckles for that Windows had something like a 90% market share as smart phones (and Apple & Google stores) weren't really a thing.

I'm confused though, i know the article says its been banned from Apples' store but what does that have to do with Android, i know it must be correct as Mr H is nothing but accurate, however i don't understand why what Apple has decided has effected Android (Google's store). o_O

Is that part Valve's, Google's, or Apples doing.

Last edited: 25 May 2018
  5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apple's ban has nothing to do with Android - the article is very clear that it's available for Android but not iOS. To quote:

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Apologies, when i first read it i thought it said earlier version and assumed only old versions were still available because they'd banned the latest version.

7. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

TBF, I read it like that too.

Corky42 likes this.
  8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Plenty of mobile ports on steam that cost money up front but in return have their micro transactions cut out, so the rather obvious explanation seems to be that Apple is worried about the gravy train of taking a cut from in app purchases getting derailed.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Apple is sniffy about allowing anything with it's own store on their store...

Amazon had to gut the ability to buy books from the kindle app before apple would allow it on...

Maybe Apple are pissy about you [potentially] being able to buy from steam's catalogue via the app.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

To be fair so is Valve. EA only invested in Origin because they fell out with Valve over in-game purchases, plus anyone who plays Elite Dangerous will know about the Steam Tax that comes from linking your account to Steam.

I expect this is what the falling out boils down to, Apple will have assumed that anyone using the app to make a purchase (via the Steam session they are streaming) will be giving Apple a cut, whilst Valve will have scoffed and said that no, they will be giving Valve a cut.

11. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The Steam store is already available on the regular Steam app, do that’s not the issue.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There is a difference, the steam store app doesn't allow you to play mobile games that had their micro transactions cut out in the steam version on your phone, the steam link app however does.

13. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I suspect Apple's perspective is that you can't PLAY Steam games on your iPhone with the regular Steam app. From their perspective, Steam Link is a hack to get around the walls they've erected to prevent unapproved content from being executed. And since it is ONLY for games, there's no "legitimate" use, like a normal Remote Desktop client.
    Come to think of it, concern over this reaction is likely why Steam Link is a standalone application instead of part of the existing iThing and Android Steam clients.

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

You also assume Apple enforce their policies with any kind of consistency. Google and Valve sure don't.

15. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Also that. But if they want a veneer of legitimacy, they can point to non-gaming uses of Remote Desktop clients to explain the difference in treatment. And then make a big PR spiel about how iThings are the sysadmin's best friend.

Tags: Add Tags