1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple launches £226m Chinese clean energy fund

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Jul 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Jul 2018
  2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I find myself wondering, are Apple really doing this to help the Chinese reduce greenhouse gas emissions, or is it more to do with generating some favourable publicity? My cynical head says the latter.

3. Brijac

Brijac What's a Dremel?

Mistofelees, might very well be a PR stunt. Like the one Elon tried to pull with child rescuing...

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  4. Zak33

Zak33 Staff Lover of bit-tech Administrator

226 million, is peanuts to them. Loose change

As a part of it's operating expenses, even spread out just over 4 quarters, its' 57 mill per quarter from a total expense of 7.65 Billion per quarter, and thats not taking into account the power it makes them and saves them

"Apple is providing the following guidance for its fiscal 2018 first quarter:
    • revenue between $84 billion and $87 billion
    • gross margin between 38 percent and 38.5 percent
    • operating expenses between $7.65 billion and $7.75 billion
    • other income/(expense) of $600 million
    • tax rate of 25.5 percent"

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Per the article:
    Also per the article: the money is spread over four years, not quarters, and it's not all from Apple: there are ten industry partners stumping up cash towards that total, too.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Climate change will inevitably end up hurting consumer spending, less consumer spending = bad for Apple (and everyone else who sells stuff that isn't required for survival).

So it makes perfect sense for them to invest in things like that, of course they'll happily take the positive PR that comes along with it.

7. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Except the point being made is that they aren't really investing anything meaningful. Only a portion of the $227m is actually from Apple. It's spread over multiple years making it even less (ridiculously so). And doesn't even begin to address their own involvement in environmental damage.

It'd be like one of us buying a single share of some startup company for $100 and then running around saying "Look at me, I'm investing to help a startup!". Yeah, sure, the company would accept it because hey, they need anything they can get. But it's not like we made any meaningful difference.

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Nice job apple! it's a whole lot better then not investing 226 million i guess.

9. UltraNEO*

UltraNEO* What's a Dremel?

I was thinking along the same lines... but more of a publicity stunt to entice new customers to their platform. However, speaking from experience, their customer service and the lack of respect for their customer's data has a lot to be desired for. I personally won't be switching back to Apple.

Sure their gadgets are aesthetically appealing however they're not as hard-wearing as regular PC laptops and getting spare parts online, outside it's warranty period will cost you an arm & a leg.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Imagine a world where iphone screens didn't crack when looked at from the wrong angle, the high street would be completely dead without the iphone repair shops:naughty:

11. peterparker

peterparker What's a Dremel?

It seems an advertising stunt

Tags: Add Tags