News The Amiga is the latest retro computer to get a mini remake

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 11 Aug 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

Pookeyhead likes this.
  2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Me wants

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Jesus. Speedball and Chaos Engine? Plus Team 17 onboard? Plus potential to sideload more? Erm...

If I pull my old A5 down and it works fine then I'll have to have a think, otherwise this is worth the price of entry on the above strengths alone. Assuming decent rendering on modern screens, of course.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think if they were selling it for any more than £120 then it'd be a rip off TBH. You are getting the custom controller and mouse, as well as the custom plastics and such; if you were rolling your own with a Raspberry Pi then you'd need to factor in extras like that.

I still think a Raspberry Pi and an emulation distro like Amibian or Amiberry is a much better way to go - Dan Wood did a video on Amibian donkey's years ago:

Of course there are always the purists who insist on using original hardware, or a MiSTer FPGA at the very least... :worried: *ahem*... shut up, I have no idea what you're talking about...

I definitely see the appeal of an out-of-the-box system that's preconfigured and includes licensed games, and hopefully this will be done well.

I do have to pick up on this though....

I'm sorry, I'm sorry.... what? Since when?!

The only part that's probably non-trivial is the software setup - and getting licensed versions of Workbench & Kickstart - but any average bit-tech user could easily figure out how to set up WinUAE from scratch. You don't even have to do that - Cloanto, who appear to have licensed the use of the ROMs & OS for the Amiga Mini, sell an 'out of the box' Amiga emulator package that's preconfigured! The 'Plus' version even includes games!

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Speedball 2 is the only reason i'd buy that, but I found it for the pc years ago.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2021
  6. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

I tend to view these sot of ARM-in-a-box "mini" systems as elaborate shelf decorations. But if they look good enough...

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Does the keyboard work?

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nope, it's a solid lump as this is a "mini".

9. jinq-sea

So how do you type codes in to Cannon Fodder? :eek:

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

On TheC64 Mini (not TheC64, which is a full-size version with functional keyboard) you can connect a USB keyboard. And then have no idea what you're doing, 'cos none of the keys have Commodore markings on em, naturally.

But yeah, emulating an Amiga's easy these days. Moore's Law, innit. That said, emulating a Commodore 64's even easier yet Retro Games Limited still managed to screw that up - despite using the pretty good open-source VICE emulator (and quietly forgetting to publish the source code as required by the GPL...)

11. jinq-sea

Ah yes. RUN / STOP. That's hard to find on a modern board.

monty-pup likes this.
  12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I want one. I REALLY want one, but I won't buy one. Ya not doing me like that.

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

This pleases me on a deep level. (I miss my A4000 with its Cyberstorm 060 board).

Tags: Add Tags