bit-tech.net Forums

bit-tech.net Forums (http://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php)
-   General (http://forums.bit-tech.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Education We Like to Ride Bicycles (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=151192)

RTT 8th May 2008 14:49

We Like to Ride Bicycles

There have been a number of bicycle related threads here recently, so we might as well go for a dedicated thread as quite a few of us are really quite into the subject and can offer pretty good advice.

So, use this for all bike related questions and discussion :thumb: We could probably create a bunch of useful links (stores, etc?) if people would find it useful...

steveo_mcg 8th May 2008 14:58

How about a cycling tab, much as we have a motors one?

Ramble 8th May 2008 17:36

Nah, change it from motors of vehicles.

Mountain biking, the sport of buying the best most expensive parts and then trying to break them.

Jipa 8th May 2008 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramble (Post 1726264)
Mountain biking, the sport of buying the best most expensive parts and then trying to break them.

Or: the sport of finding the smoothest paths and then taking some other route.

I made this up after coming down from a hill along what had to be the path with the most and the largest rocks of the whole goddamn hill. The path I followed up was smooth and would have been about twice as fast way of coming back down.

dsjonboy 9th May 2008 01:43

Good idea for a thread. I think we can see cycling becoming a lot more popular in the next 10 years as roads get more congested and cost of driving is going through the roof.

notatoad 9th May 2008 04:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo_mcg (Post 1726122)
How about a cycling tab, much as we have a motors one?

:thumb:

if this is the bikes thread, i guess i'll ask my bikes question here: what fork should i buy? my old marzocchi z4 has blown its seals so many times i have given up all hope for it. i don't do a lot of big drops or jumping or anything so it doesn't need to take that much of a beating, but i'm not after something super-lightweigh either. i've been looking at the marzocchi marathon. 100mm of travel would be nice. i can probably spend up to about $600, but i'd rather go about 400.

also, if anybody is in the canmore/banff area this summer, send me a PM and we'll go for a ride. there's some really great trails here.

Gravemind123 9th May 2008 04:20

Given the rising price of gas in the US(just spent 10% of my paycheck on one tank of gas), you may see many more people interested in bike riding, I know it's time for me to get mine all cleaned up for spring so I can ride it to school.

Malvolio 9th May 2008 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertoad (Post 1726577)
also, if anybody is in the canmore/banff area this summer, send me a PM and we'll go for a ride. there's some really great trails here.

Hey, I didn't know you were down there?! My family goes camping over at Two Jack all the time. Plus I'm thinking of moving down to canmore. Whats it like? How are housing prices doing? How about renting? Anything interesting for like $800? Or should I be more realistic?

As far as biking goes, I just got a new Acid, and will post pics soon!

Brett89 9th May 2008 06:57

I've got a Peugeot PB16, probably mfg'd in the late 80s, it's pink, and for the time i'd assume light, it's aluminum. I love that thing, leaning into the corners, great fun, but oh the gravel.

Jamie 9th May 2008 07:02

Perhaps we should have a 'Show us your bike' thread.

Brett89 9th May 2008 07:46

I'd post in it, some of them may even be relevant to the thread!

notatoad 9th May 2008 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malfoleo (Post 1726602)
Hey, I didn't know you were down there?! My family goes camping over at Two Jack all the time. Plus I'm thinking of moving down to canmore. Whats it like? How are housing prices doing? How about renting? Anything interesting for like $800? Or should I be more realistic?

As far as biking goes, I just got a new Acid, and will post pics soon!

housing prices are dropping, but you still aren't going to get anything for less than $650k. you should be able to get a basement suite for around $800 though. the rental market is pretty good.

@jamie - i love the new av.

RTT 9th May 2008 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by supertoad (Post 1726577)
:thumb:

if this is the bikes thread, i guess i'll ask my bikes question here: what fork should i buy? my old marzocchi z4 has blown its seals so many times i have given up all hope for it. i don't do a lot of big drops or jumping or anything so it doesn't need to take that much of a beating, but i'm not after something super-lightweigh either. i've been looking at the marzocchi marathon. 100mm of travel would be nice. i can probably spend up to about $600, but i'd rather go about 400.

The low end rockshox stuff is pretty good for the money, they do a few 100mm forks in both air & coil spring models

Fishlock 9th May 2008 11:08

Am I the only BMX rider on here?

heh- 9th May 2008 11:14

Has anyone ever ridden a ghost bike before? I am thinking of getting one, but as a newbie rider I'd like to get an opinion before spending that kind of money.

will. 9th May 2008 11:17

I used to have a BMX for getting around at uni. I must have looked a numpty. Tall people look silly riding them :p

Jamie 9th May 2008 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by heh- (Post 1726771)
Has anyone ever ridden a ghost bike before? I am thinking of getting one, but as a newbie rider I'd like to get an opinion before spending that kind of money.

You can't fault that bike on the specs but I'd read some rider opinions before purchasing. A bike could have all the best components but if the geometry is wrong for your size/build then it'll be a horrible ride.

RTT 9th May 2008 15:51

Wiggle currently have 20% off all tyres and all hydration packs. Pretty handy since I new tyres and a bigger camelbak!

gar 9th May 2008 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishlock (Post 1726767)

& likewise
Am I the only roadie here?

willowthewhite 9th May 2008 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishlock (Post 1726767)

No I ride BMX, but I do look a little silly as I'm 6' 2", but I'm more at home on a mountain bike though, just wish they didn't break so easily.