View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2008, 01:21   #63
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3mo View Post
All of this is just a pathetic attempt to cover devs laziness. Developing for X360 is far easier than for PC, takes less money and time. PC games pirating? Come on, I know quite a lot Xbox owners and I have never seen ONE original game. In eastern Europe it's even hard to buy unmodded Xbox/PS3/PSP, there are more shops selling modded consoles AND they are actually cheaper.
Yet sales of console games are still higher than PCs. This is the thing they're getting at. They can make more money developing for consoles than they can for PCs. Piracy debate is irrelevant to this point. The fact of the matter is the PC market can sometimes barely make them any money back with the mammoth cost of developing AAA titles, all this piracy talk is just trying to lay the blame on what is causing that lack of sales. It doesn't matter if piracy is the cause of this, in black and white, AAA games don't make a whole lot of money on PC, so developers are less inclined to develop them for the PC. Like it or not, this is a business, developers need money to make games.

Yes, there is console piracy, no-one is denying that. But console piracy is much less widespread than PC piracy. With a PC, almost anyone can pirate a PC game, for completely free no less. With consoles it involves voiding your warranty and paying money to do so, you need to buy the chip and you need to buy the media. You also can't play the games online (on the 360 at least) as xbox live detects you running the hardware required to run pirated games and stops it connecting to xbox live forever. Since online play is a massive draw for modern games, this is a big detriment to wanting to do it.

I don't see why it's "lazy" to develop for consoles. So it's easier. So what? Do you realise how stressful and time consuming developing a game is? If I were a developer, I'd much rather develop for the platform that has one hardware configuration across all units and makes me money than develop for a platform that has thousands of hardware configurations to take into account and makes little money. The choice is pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote