View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2009, 09:45   #16
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think there's a little bit of misty-eyed nostalgia going on when it comes to Fallout - there are many, many die-hard Fallout fans who believe that Bethesda ruined the franchise, and thus do not want Bethesda's greasy mitts all over the original games. As already stated however, Bethesda now owns Fallout - Interplay were only licensed for the MMO - so Interplay can't go re-releasing or re-packaging the older games. It's simply not theirs any more.

I loved the original Fallout games, but I also think that Bethesda did a good job with Fallout 3. They did take away a lot of the appeal and charm of the older games (such as the black humour), but they have made a great game. FO3 feels much more bleak and barren, more like a post-apocalyptic wasteland. When you have to wander round the wastes for days to reach locations it's so much more immersive; you can see all the ruined cities & buildings in the distance, watch the landscape roll by... hopping in the car and watching a dot move round a map feels much more disconnected. (Granted it's only made possible with the better technology that we now have).

I think that, if it had been left to Interplay, they would have had another Duke Nukem Forever on their hands. They would have nurtured their baby endlessly, caring more about how to keep the next game true to the originals than actually getting a good game out the door.

Last edited by BLC; 15th Sep 2009 at 11:26. Reason: Ooops - I meant Duke Nukem Forever, not Duke Nukem 3D!
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote