View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2011, 02:16   #20
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending Credits View Post
Why shouldn't AI be as smart as a human? After all, we are all just large biological computers.

The problems occur when you compare the human brain with a traditional computer. The brain has huge parrallel capacity which is why you can appreciate paintings and music but even the slowest computers ever made (apart from perhaps an abacus) can crunch numbers far faster than the fastest human can. Computers are probably very close to having the processing capacity we have but we just don't have the imagination (quite literally) to program them correctly.
see they've got you too =] we are not just big parallel processing computers- we have what you call imaginations.. noone really knows why we are self aware (well I have an idea but it's where me and nexxo disagree)

a computer is nothing more than a pile of relays, 0s and 1s, on or off.. when you program a computer you have to realize ideally it's a perfect system.. it will do exactly what you tell it to do and nothing more.. it cannot think for itself

I thought really hard when I was younger.. I used to write a lot of code for different projects I was working on.. and no it didn't escape me like most other programmers- what if I could write an algorithm that could write it's own code and it would be constantly learning from the inputs given to the program

I reflected on how my own mind worked as a starting point.. the problem I ran into and after much thought was- I was trying to get a pile of sand and metal to 'think' outside the program.. it could never happen because as complicated as you made it to account for every conceivable condition.. it still would only write exactly what it was told to write.. if you stick statistics into that equation to vary the response, or randomize (even worse), it's still only doing what it was told to do.. and there lies the problem with computer ai

if they mixed the two (bio and comp ai) maybe something might come of it.. but were sci-fi far from that ever happening

I hope you can wrap your brain around that- it's almost a aha moment for some, they realize how silly it is..

Last edited by thehippoz; 28th Feb 2011 at 02:21.
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote