View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2011, 02:04   #41
davebodger
My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

davebodger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Folding @ Home rig type - Dedicated workhorse - gets used for everything but Folding always runs 24/7. Running Client 7 and ordinary "big" SMP now.
Make/Model/MHz of CPU(s) - Intel Q6600 @ 3.43GHz summer setting (put up to 3.5+ whatever I can get out of it in the winter). CPU Runs at 90C+ and has done for about 4 years now. Air cooled. Toasty. Cools down to 85C or below in the winter.
Make & Model of GPU(s) - ATI HD3870 (not used for folding anymore).
Case & Motherboard - Case is a XClio BlackBox something or other I got from Scan Computers because it was cheap and had big fans. ASUS Maximus Formula SE X38 motherboard with a knackered Northbridge chip so I can't change the memory multiplier. 4Gb G-Skill DDR2 fitted - runs at 384 Bclk.
Any Modifications Done - 40mm fan screwed to Northbridge chip heatsink to stop it melting down.
The Rig's average PPD - around 8500 +/- 500 or so, depends on what else I'm doing.
Operating system Used - WinXP SP3. OEM version unfortunately so I'm stuck with it the way it is. I would dearly love to upgrade the hardware but MicroSoft says NO. Naughty. Naughty. Even though I tried waving fivers at them. I want to update the OS to the Retail version as I have a silly amount of applications installed and don't want to re-install them on Win7/8/whatever but Microsoft in it's great wisdom will not sell me a copy (or even a new license). If anyone knows a way around this (black magic or vodoo acceptable) then please PM me.
Virtual or Native SMP(s) - Native.
Power Consumption used - Around 350W'ish but I haven't measured it for ages.
Any other info to share -APC SmartUPS 1400. BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W PSU.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Folding @ Home rig type - Dedicated.
Make/Model/MHz of CPU(s) - Intel i7 970 @ 4.35GHz (Ubuntu), 4.4GHz (Win7).
Make & Model of GPU(s) - ATI HD6950 flashed to 6970 spec. Not used for folding.
Case & Motherboard - Thermaltake Kandalf case, ASUS P6T Delux Rev 1.0 motherboard with 6Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1280(1600) memory running at 1744 with 1.66 volts.
Any Modifications Done - Yes. Oh, you want me to list them; OK then..... Plastic bit on top ripped off to improve ventilation and give me somewhere to stand the water reservoir. 120mm internal front fan replaced with a 38mm thick model, reversed the mounting bracket so it sticks out the front where it can actually suck some air in. That made it hit the nice electro-luminescent display and I couldn't close the front doors, so that got ripped out too. More ventilation goodness. Apogee SwifTech GTX CPU waterblock. EK Mosfet and full Northbridge waterblocks. XSPC tall reservoir (don't buy the small one it's useless because it airiates the coolant). Liang DDC Ultra+ pump. T-Balancer to control the fans and the coolant pump. BlackIce 360 radiator fitted with 3 SilenX Ixtrema Pro 120 fans (90cfm each) 38mm deep these actually move air without sounding like Concorde taking off.
Another 38mm thick fan has been fitted to the side cover. This is not natural for a Kandalf case and it complained loudly whilst I attacked it with a Dremel. It's feeling much cooler now.
The Rig's average PPD - 62000 doing bigadv, but I'll update you once I've returned my first bigbeta 6904 WU.
Operating system Used -Ubuntu 10.10-ck at present but it's a multi-boot system with WinVista SP1 and Win7 Ultimate SP1 also.
Virtual or Native SMP(s) -Native.
Power Consumption used -365~395W at the wallplug plus 25W for the UPS.
Any other info to share -APC SmartUPS 1500i. BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W PSU.
CPU core temps 58~73C max with the room at 28C this summer. Much cooler in winter and the fans run slower/quieter too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All together now.

The UPS's that lurk underneath.

Folding stats

Last edited by davebodger; 29th Jun 2011 at 11:42. Reason: added more pictures
davebodger is offline   Reply With Quote