View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 21:34   #28
shrop
El Jefe of Sleeving

shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.shrop is definitely a rep cheat.
Update 8th Dec '11. Sorting out fans, spraying parts and mounting fan hub.

Update time. Another small update, even though most of the day I have been playing with various parts on the case. I has about 5-6 hours on it today, so you can get an idea of my pace, not fast!

Righto. The front, mesh styled grill; I thought accenting the front white would look pretty nice, black and white is a great contrasting combo. Again, I used a heatgun to dry the paint thoroughly to stop any cracking from the cold weather. I used Halfords white primer, 3 coats and 3 coats of Enamel white. Of course, I sanded the old powder coat off first.

I'm really happy with how it came out, the finish came out really nice, for a change, I'm sure using the heat gun helps seal the coat and stops or at least lessens the chance of the paint cracking whilst drying naturally.

On the fan frames, that I have coated in Di-Noc and sprayed the rear black, needing touching up. I sprayed the backs black as the raw ally didn't look nice, but after peeling off the masking tape to protect the front from spraying, a few parts of the film lifted and some residue from the tape was left; I had to use my craft knife to lift off some of the gunk. I touched up the edges with some Tamiya model paint and an old paint-brush from my Warhammer days. Yes, I'm cool!

Before and after....

Other bits and bobs I sorted out were the fan cover for the rear 120mm fan. I will be using spring washers and regular penny washers to stop any vibration creeping into the ally case and resonating creating a nasty hum.

Finally, I wanted to have the control knobs on the fan hub poking out the side panel, for easy access due to the orientation of my desk and where I have my PC at the moment, the front would be awkward. It was quiet a task, I took an hour measuring, double checking marking out the drill holes, checking marking and double checking lol. I was over the moon when the fan controller poked right through the drill holes! I needed to chop a bit out the panel to get the steel rule and the set square through.

It looks pretty snazzy I think, I am really happy how it turned out, the checking and double checking paid off, let me know what you guys think, I'm sure it will be like marmite.

That is all for today, over the weekend, I am going to try and knock some of the carbon on the fan frames on the head; it takes forever to do it, but it looks smart so all the effort is worth it. I may update this page later with some RAL colour ideas. Thanks for looking and any feedback is appreciated.

First post updated too

Steel Series 6G MX Blacks /Choc Mini MX Blues / Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 Anthracite/ Poker 2 with 45g MX Blacks/ Dell AT101W/ Beige Filco TKL MX Black
shrop is offline   Reply With Quote