View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2012, 15:33   #12
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStockBroker View Post
I have to admit, I was scared to install the dev-preview after all the non-completion statements MS made about various aspects of the OS. "Yeah, we're still working on this... and we're thinking about... we might redo..." Didn't instil enough confidence to use it as my primary OS (which is all I ever do with betas - use them as finished articles).
Welcome to the world of software development. It's always like that. And if it's not... then expect massive delays a-la Duke Nukem Forever. In this industry it's always "maybes", because they are A LOT of features that usually gets cut out from being realized, and spend to the next version of the product. And this is not some sort of money making tactic, nor "we have no idea for the next version of our software, let's have some stuff put aside". Like this is genuine cut. Things always take more time then expected, and that is with the usual engineer think, which is: Estimate a time, multiply it by 4 or 6.

Usually the public beta is when the product is "done", but the company wants user feedback to catch big problems (design wise), to solve them, and of course bug fixing, to provide a more robust final product. So for example, if you don't like the interface of the desktop mode Windows 8 (let's say), then they won't do any new theme or design, even if their is an outcry... but they can try and improve things, all to try and keep up with the deadline at the end of the year.

Quote:
I've not looked at either pictures of, or comments regarding the new UI as I want to experience it myself without prejudice. I know the guys over at Redmond aren't stupid, and I'm sure it will at least be pleasantly usable...
I'll tell you know, you won't like it.. (READ ON)... no mater how it could have worked or looked.

This is the same story with EVERY single new software with a new look. Windows 7 that everyone live now, was hated like no tomorrow, because of the new task bar, as an example. Reading on the design, like I do, helps you understand why they chosen this path, and make you realize first hand, why it's better, instead of jumping to hatred, because it's different as you didn't spend 2-3 month on it, to notice what was already said.

Quote:
Ah well, as long as I can still play BF3 and ME3 when it comes out, that's fine...

Incidentally, are we to expect any FPS improvements following a potential reduction in OS/Direct X overheads?
Win8 is based on Vista core (like Win7), so expect Win7 or better performance.
No core modification was done on this release. Usually Microsoft release a "New/Modified core" release of Windows, and the next one is an improvement of it, and after that, you restart the cycle. New > Improved > New > Improved. This time, it's different. It was new (Vista) > Improved (Win7) and now again > Improved (Win8).

Probably this was decided because, NT 6 (Vista) core design is still relevant today (not outdated, where it can cause, or have security issues, or block the growth of new technologies, or "how to properly do things", example, have the GPU draw the interface as you think it should have been done like that since day one, by wasn't (GPU's where really weak and very expensive at the time, so they HAD to use the CPU to do the drawings)

Also, because Microsoft energy went on making the ARM version of Win8, and the radically different Metro interface, new drive format (Server edition only, still a lot work needs to be done (example: not bootable, yet)), OS level software RAID system (expend storage system, not backup or performance), and work on re-branding a large part of Microosft products which involves more than just a simple rename, the online store, new API system for metro applications (this is HUGE. This is kind of feature that are extremely time consuming, really beneficial and cool for developer, and completely useless and non-existent in all shape and form to the end user.)

So anyway, the performance should be the same as Win7. Win7 drivers will/should work fine under Win8. I expect, that at worst, you'll need to run a driver setup under compatibility setup, to by-pass the OS check system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStockBroker View Post
I can't see any of my component manufacturers as having driver support listed as of yet - But was desperately hoping to migrate my main rig over this weekend, as it's well overdue for a full-format...
Are there major changes to the core OS that would prevent Win 7 drivers being used? Although, that said - given how good integrated driver support was for 7, I can't see MS backtracking for 8!
As above mentioned: Windows 8 is based on Windows 7. No report of the kernel of Windows being changed or modified. So Windows 7 drivers will/should work fine. Performance should be the same, or greater (Microsoft did optimize things even further to improve battery life). I expect, that at worst, you'll need to run a driver setup under compatibility setup, to by-pass the OS check system.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote