View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2012, 14:52   #1
KryptiK
Minimodder
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 43
KryptiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKryptiK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project - OBSIDIA-Shiro - UPDATE:Project Completed, finished the laser cut madness

The Design
The name OBSDIA-shiro is derived from the volcanic rock - obsidian, which is very hard and sharp (typically black in its colour) and the Japanese word for white - shiro. The design utilities the contrast between these two extremes in colours with the combination of red accents to create an subtle aggressive feel to the case. I tried to bring out beastly qualities through very distinct oblique and straight edges and the resulting shapes that were formed resemble the front and back legs of a 'beast'. The red trusses neatly frame the side panel windows and draw your vision towards the hardware inside.

The layout of the components was inspired by existing cases like the Raven series by Silverstone with the rotated motherboard configuration which allows for improved air cooling capabilities. Also, the front fins were inspired by heatsink designs; thought it would be appropriate to cover the front fans with this concept (would be awesome it they actually had a functional aspect that allowed for heat dissipation - unfortunately made of acrylic)


Background Info
I would like share my Major Design Project build log with the guys and gals of the bit-tech community. For my Design & Technology HSC course I have chosen to design my own scratch built case (aka OSIDIA-Shiro). I'm currently in the process of finishing off the project that I have been working on since the beginning of the year. God knows how long I've been working on the 3D CAD drawings in Solidworks. The design itself has changed dramatically but the overall form and aesthetics have been kept. Finally have a design that I'm satisfied with.

I'll be sure to keep this build log updated to my current progress.

Really should have kept the final design a secret but... the hell with it couldn't wait any longer to show everyone.



The entire chassis is made from several laser cut sheets of 600x300mm acrylic sheets of 6mm and 3mm thicknesses. Held together with IPS Weld-on #3 and a bunch of M3 and M4 bolts. As you can see in the image that a few pieces also need to be bent.


Sponsors
Special Thanks to Lamptron and James Campbell for supporting this project.




The Build Log
Feels like I'm under the pump since the project is officially due on the 27th of August, so I need to have something that's finished and presentable for the markers to look at.
Should of started this thread earlier but was very busy with studying for the trials exams (cough). And its nearing the end of the trial exam schedule so I have time to post this thread and finish building it. One more exam left.
Most of the first few posts are things I did a while back.

Fortunately I have access to a laser cutter at school. First day of laser cutting. Came home with a huge mess of cut parts. Might have lost a few on the way.





This side panel window with magnet mounting holes didn't cut properly You would think that if you had the laser cutter with settings for 6.01mm thickness for acrylic material (6mm thick) that it would cut through. I could feel under the sheet that it cut all the way through.



It needed some light persuasion from a mallet to whack those pieces out. But it resulted with some ugly edges (knew it would happen but had to give it a try anyway). So this needs to be cut again



On the other remaining side window I inserted some 3x10mm neodymium magnets. They apparently have a pull strength of 1.9kg which should be more than adequate for holding the 6mm acrylic panel in place. It took a bit of force to remove it from my ruler.



Here's a peek at the few components together.



So after that incident with the 6mm laser cutter setting, I learned my lesson and used a test piece of 10mm clear acrylic to play around with intensities before I started to cut.
On the right is the perfect setting - giving a clean polished edge while
left was a higher setting - resulting in fusing/melting of the sheet and causing distorted edges


Last edited by KryptiK; 29th Nov 2012 at 11:36.
KryptiK is offline   Reply With Quote