View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2012, 00:50   #48
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyRhys View Post
I agree that the naming scheme is ridiculous, but even more so with Ivy Bridge - no longer is it a straightforward choice between two mainstream/enthusiast CPUs whose differences were clear and logical and whose names reflected this (i5 2500K and i7 2600K)
Because it is insanely complex to understand that desktop model numbering is (and it was the same for Sandy Bridge as well, they had the S/T/K models as well) :
1) Prefix (model)
Celeron - single or dualcore, lowend, no HT
Pentium - dualcore, lowend, no HT
Core i3 - dualcore, HT
Core i5 - quadcore, no HT
Core i7 - quadcore, HT
2) Number inside the category, higher = better
3) Suffix (if present) :
K = unlocked for overclocking
P = IGP disabled/removed
S = a bit lower TDP (lower voltage and clocks)
T = a lot lower TDP (lower voltage and clocks)

Mobile numbering
1) prefix giving "performance" categorization:
Celeron/Pentium = dualcore, no HT
i3/i5/i7 = dualcore, HT (with exceptions)
2) Number inside the category, higher = better
3) Suffix (if present) :
Q = quadcore
T = means lower TDP.
U = means ultra low core (even lower TDP)

Sandy Bridge had the same suffixes :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_B...sktop_platform

I guess AMD numbering where all the number tells you is number of core (in case of Bulldozer AM3+ CPU) or nothing at all (FM1/FM2 CPU) is much, much better.