View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2013, 13:27   #17
S1W1
Multimodder

S1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitS1W1 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconfanatic
a BASIC human right
Really?

Free speech is a basic human right. An inherent claim to life and freedom from torture and freedom from slavery and judicial entitlement to a fair trial - those are all basic human rights.

The right to bear firearms, however? To ignite small quantities of explosive within a sealed chamber to propel a carefully fatalistically-shaped piece of lead out of a carefully shaped metal tube at approximately 1500 feet per second? That is a basic human right? I don't doubt it is currently a basic constitutional right in your country. But the right to bear arms didn’t quite make it onto the international declaration of human rights, last time I checked...

Quote:
GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE. PEOPLE kill people!
And yet people kill people with guns.

And alas we can't easily abolish people (altough a small number of gun bearing Americans seem pretty bent on trying), so it seems significantly easier to abolish guns; to try and ensure the violent and the criminal are far less able to enact their violent fantasies upon the innocent masses.

Quote:
The fact that people would rather get rid of a BASIC human right rather than give teachers a tazer, teach them how to use it is beyond me
It would be far more effective to arm the children, surely? I always say, if the children in Newtown had each been issued with a mandatory assault rifle, that murdering ******* couldn't have stormed into the school quite so easily. For a start there wouldn't even be a school left, thanks to playtime with assault rifles...

Quote:
Even if you do ban guns it'll be similar to prohibition. IT'S called C.O.N.T.R.A.B.A.N.D. heard of it? It'll just make the sales illegal, make people PO'ed and then the flow of said weapons shall thrive. Then it all gets Fuglier than ever.
You may not be surprised to hear that this argument doesn't quite satisfy me

In 2010:

155 people died in Britain as a result of guns.

In the USA 31,672 people died from gunshot wounds in the same year. Roughly 21,000 of those deaths were accidental
[SOURCE: Gunpolicy.org]

I feel uncomfortable claiming that association equates to causation etc. But it seems sensible to conclude that gun laws would reduce the number of senseless gun crimes (and equally importantly fatal accidents) in the United States. Of course there will always be people who get hold of guns through illegal means, but with proper enforcement this could well be a small minority.
---
I'm sorry if my argument has seemed unnecessarily angry - you have a basic human right to express your free opinion and I wouldn't dare deny you such a right.

But while you - and many others like you - continue to shout in your big, gratuitously capitalised type-faces about the "basic human right" to bear arms, innocent children across your country are going to continue dieing, shot to pieces with the bullets of the distorted America concept of freedom. And for me the right to life of those school children easily outweighs the right to bear arms.

Yours faithfully,
SW
AMD X6 1090T OC @ 3.75GHZ | Corsair H50 cooler | 8GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHZ | Asus M4N98TD Evo Motherboard | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB OC| XFX 750W Black Edition PSU | Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 HDD | 300GB WD Velociraptor | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | NZXT Hades mid tower with red LEDS and engraved side panels | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | Asus Xonar DX |
=== Alienware M11X R3 laptop ===

Last edited by S1W1; 20th Jan 2013 at 14:20.
S1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote