View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2013, 20:46   #8
Azariel
Multimodder

Azariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for president
Update 12-Feb

And another bit of progress! Hope you guys aren't too bored yet

Over the past few days I continued work on the front panel, this time the top part which will cover the 2x5.25" bays.

Anyway, as shown in the first post I wanted to create a small & subtle cut out with some (semi) transparent plexi and some LEDs behind it to serve as a power indicator. The big question however was, what should it look like? I wasn't completely happy with my first design (the one in the sketchup rendering) so thought about it a bit more and I decided I would go for a flexible setup with exchangeable cover plates.

After some fiddling around the basic shape became a slightly curved pentagon with in the end an alu cover plate with a logo/symbol of choice.

These are my first 2 designs for the logo. The first is an aperture inspired one and the second the Fractal design "snowflake" logo (as I am covering the "Fractal design" part at the top of the front panel).

Next a bit of testing to find the right size and position

After deciding the size and place it was back to the scroll saw, followed by extensive filing.

Test fitting

Gluing the panel in place using two component glue. No way back now...

This left of course some open edges so first layer of filler was applied

After sanding down the first layer

Final result after the second layer! Next step will be using spray filler as a final layer and then spray paint the entire thing in either a satin black or matte black, not sure yet. Matte black tends to be very prone to scratching, whereas satin might not match the rest of the case completely. Will just have to do some test pieces I guess.

And already made a small test logo based on the aperture symbol. Already noticed that if I want to get this right I will need to get these laser cut as they are a tad bit too small to get nice and clean corners and lines.

If anybody knows a decent laser cutter in the Netherlands who could do these for a decent price, just let me know!

As always, thanks for watching and you are more than welcome to share your comments, ideas and suggestions!
Azariel is online now   Reply With Quote