Project: Puzzlebox PC - 23 September

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [WP@]WOLVERINE, 23 Sep 2005.

1. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

Ok heres my new and improved worklog for my puzzlebox PC

This case will be my servercase and will contain an old P4 1,7 The case vill be an engraved plexicube. The idea is to make an all black and gold cube, to do this i will dremel all the patters and then fill them with leafgold and top it off with sunblock film on the inside.
    The cube will remain black and gold until the lights switch on. Then the internals will be visible. The mainboard will be mounted with all connecters facing down this will be done so that i can hide all the cables in the wodden base. The cdrom and diskdrive will also be stealthed into the base so that the plexicube itself will remain untouched.

I didnt want to cut any holes in the cube since i feel that it would mess up the clean look im going for the only holes will be for 2x80mm casefans one in the front and one at the back. Ive made some sketchup drawings to show yall what i had in mind

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now on to the actual build, first some plexi
    [​IMG]

Then some sketching, this will take forever to do with the old dremel but ill get there :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here finished 2 sides of the cube, not completely but ive got all the basic etching done and heres how it looks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top panel done
    [​IMG]

I just had to use some tape and put the 3 ready sides together to get a bit of a feel for what the case will look like :) And i like what i see, its turning out better than i hoped with the black sunblock film in place it will kick som serious ass :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Dec 2007
  2. [WP@]WOLVERINE

here finished all the etches now and begun construction of the base that will contain the psu,cd,diskdrive and hdd. Ive got the basics done on the base and im currently making the mb mountigplate and all the other little things that is needed to screw all the hardware in place. Theres also some fanholes to be done.

Heres a picture of the case as it is. Nevermind the frame i put together its just so that i would have someting to lean the sides against. I will do a real frame from aluminium on friday. This is just to get some ide of what it all may look like. Theres still alot to do on the base to make it really hellraserish :D

[​IMG]

got the sunblock film in place now so i had to show you guys how it looks :D

some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i came up with this solution for the mainboard and hdd.
    [​IMG]

The harddrive needed some paint :)
    [​IMG]
    And the discdrive aswell
    [​IMG]

Ive finished the rear fanholes
    [​IMG]
    And the front has been given a hole and a tinted plexiplate for the lcd display that will be scrolling alot of evil messages :D
    [​IMG]

3. [WP@]WOLVERINE

The base is almost completely done now ive installed the 4x20 lcd and 2x80mm rear fans. heres some pictures of how it looks tday :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

finally got my manequinhead and went straight to work on it
    Heres a picture of the victim and some of my instruments of torture :D
    [​IMG]

First some basic color
    [​IMG]
    Then some lines
    [​IMG]

And finally a testfit of the things that make Pinhead a Pinhead :D
    [​IMG]

Theres still tons of sanding,painting,cutting and shaping before ive got a goodlooking replica. But ill get there :)

Time for a testfit of pinhead inside the case. In normal mod the cube is completely black and you cant see him, but with a little red light he becomes visible
    [​IMG]
    The effekt when the room is totally dark is amazing, it turned out far beyond anything id hoped for. One evil lookin dude inside my case dont ya think :D
    [​IMG]

As many has pointed out to me i went a bit berserk with the nails on the first test but that has been fixed i removed the nails around the eyes,mouth and ears so it looks as it should

4. [WP@]WOLVERINE

first test with all the hardware in place. I also scrapped the whole metalframe idea and insted i put the cube together with chemical steel, that stuff is truly amazing. I got a much better look with the chemical steel because i could get rounded edges wery easy. It was really easy to apply and the cube is solid as a rock :) Heres some pictures of the cube in action for the first time as a working system.

[​IMG]
    And of course a nightshot :D
    [​IMG]
    Theres still alot of work to be done with Lightning,Fans,Power/reset buttons,Remote control and the base itself

some work done on the keyboard :) This is my very first adventure in to the land of texturing and drybrushing and its all thanks to that Crimson video :)
    I took an old ibm keyboard and sanded of that ugly logo then i used some of the chemichal metal stuff i had left to make some texture ,coated it in matt black and drybrushed a mix of Red and black on to it. I will add more colors once the red has dried but i just had to show some Progress shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Now that i got the frame for the keyboard done i had to do something abut those boring looking keys to. I used the dremel with a large etching bit to etch texture and then some paint
    [​IMG]

completed the keyboard! this was one hell of a task , but i did it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it became kinda Hellraiserish. My camera has trouble with capturing the "1000years old dried up human flesh" that the keyboard actually has :) Im very happy with the result and will continue with mouse, monitor and the base.

i just had to take som pictures with proper lighting becase the keyboard doesnt look fudgy at all in reality so heres a bunch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ill be taking on the mouse next :) I just cut of the face of a doll with a razorblade :D so you might have an idea of what ive got in store for that evil little mouse....

the mousemod for this project
    First a picture of the victim its a Trust 450l optical a rellay cheap mouse but it works just fine.
    [​IMG]
    Stripping it down
    [​IMG]

6. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Bring me the head of Action Man!!!! And some plastic padding ffs!!!
    [​IMG]
    Started with some black basepaint
    [​IMG]
    Drybrusehd some red in there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then some brown
    [​IMG]

And finally some light grey to finish it all off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now its on to the Monitor

the base for the cube is done!
    Basepainted
    [​IMG]
    Drybrushing done!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now theres just some lights tom be installed and the final Monitormod

Work on the monitor has started
    [​IMG]
    Heres some pictures of the monitors back cover as it stands today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. [WP@]WOLVERINE

ITS DONE!!!

Ill finish this thread with some pictures of the entire system as it stands today. A special thanks to Crimsonsky for all the inspiration in terms of drybrushing and the use of bondo enough said heres the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats it The Cube is all done !! thx for reading this far :)

Plz post comments here
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=98648

8. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Last edited: 23 Sep 2005
  9. wajt

wajt What's a Dremel?

everything about that project is amazing! the head inside the case turned out really well, and although personally i wouldnt have done the monitor (due to the possibility of upgrading in the future), the keyboard and mouse look great! overall incredible job

10. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

not convinced i would like the keyboard/mouse/monitor, but the cube itself is tres brilliant! that is some damm fine etching :)

11. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Some are defintely more crazy than others and you are one crazy dude! I love that pinhead look in the cube. Does it scare the kids in your house? Great for Halloween coming up. :thumb:

12. [WP@]WOLVERINE

Thanx!

The kids has seen me build it so they dont think anything of it :) This build has been my absolutely most succsessful bulid as it has won many competitions and payed for itself about 20 times over :)

Things that this case has brought me

Winner Corsairs Rig of the mounth January 05 (Got 1 gig XmsPro)
    Winner Coolermaster Nordic Mod Contest @ Optihac 05 (Got stacker,Cpucooler,PSU,Fans,Cooldrive,crossflow fan)
    Winner Stage one in the Coolermaster International Moddcontest (Got Cpucooler,Cables,Fans)
    Winner Cpu Magazine Mad Reader Mod March 05 (got 1500$ for this one)

It has also been published in 8 magazines in Sweden Uk and US.

I dont think ill ever be able to match the sucsses of this case again but i sure as hell will try :D

13. Zephrius Ophiuchus

Zephrius Ophiuchus What's a Dremel?

that's the coolest mod I've ever seen. you've inspired me to build one too. any ideas on how i can make it gold and black?

14. [WP@]WOLVERINE

First of all Thx!

And second im sorry to say that i cant help you with that:/
    My first plan was to make this Gold and black but ive tried 9 different colors with the same crappy result i even tried Leaf gold but nothing looked good. So if you find a way plz let me know ;)