Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
DirectX 10 Far Cry shown off in video

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/09...cy_directx_10/

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 13:48   #2
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Unfortunately, the video is just a digicam in video mode waved around in the presentation room at PDC 2005, so it isn't easy to see a lot of the detail. However, once you get to the Volumetric Clouds, even any remaining non-believers will find their jaws hitting their keyboards.

This is pretty darn tasty stuff.
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:02   #3
sgr55
Modder

sgr55 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
This is pretty darn tasty stuff.

u said it!

thats gotta look impressive up in person
sgr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:08   #4
FIBRE+
I *am* a Dremel

FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Thats what my face looks like now...

That looks yummy, Been waiting for 'fully destructible environments' for a while now, I love breaking stuff

That does look sooo tasty, how long are we gonna have to wait? 1,2,3 years

Might wanna use a direct link to the file as I didnt know what I was looking for or if I had to log in etc... http://s2.putfile.com/videos/26010463625.avi
FIBRE+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:15   #5
Herbicide
Lurktacular

Herbicide has yet to learn the way of the DremelHerbicide has yet to learn the way of the DremelHerbicide has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Did someone just say volumetric clouds? And the moving leaf bit! ...wow...

- H.
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:39   #6
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
*drool*

volumetric...*drool*...clouds...*drool*
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:40   #7
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The link in the bit-tech article just took me to the main neo-win forum page
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:48   #8
hitman012
Super Moderator

hitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I doubt I'll be able to run that one at 1280x1024...

P.S: Video is linked to here
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:48   #9
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust
The link in the bit-tech article just took me to the main neo-win forum page
Probably not allowed to link directly to something like that. This is where Google is your friend.
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:51   #10
Herbicide
Lurktacular

Herbicide has yet to learn the way of the DremelHerbicide has yet to learn the way of the DremelHerbicide has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's the top link of the middle block (under recent gamers news) on neowin.

- H.
Old 19th Sep 2005, 14:58   #11
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I couldn't find it either but the links in this thread helped.

The leaf bit is definately most impressive to me, I'd probably have to see it in person for the clouds to be more amazing. Still, w00t! Hopefully this next version won't be as overlooked as the first Far Cry was among the masses. It'll probably suffer the 'need more hardwarez!111' losses though.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 15:35   #12
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Well, I can't say I didn't try, but the initial reaction from my guy at Crytek was "Hehe, no comment on the video. It wasn't meant to go public!"

Which is fair enough - I'm sure this leak is causing headaches for several people in Germany. I have done my best to explain how they might capitalise on the fact that this video *is* now everywhere by releasing a high quality version, and I'm waiting on a reply.

If we're lucky, they'll agree with me, but having worked in Games PR myself, there are plenty of reasons why they may choose not to unfortunately

/crosses volumetric fingers
Old 19th Sep 2005, 17:05   #13
FIBRE+
I *am* a Dremel

FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FIBRE+ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I will put a Gipsy curse on them if they dont!

Pope, what would be the reasons not to?

Why dont you get him on here so he can explain to us , we'el sort im out for ya
FIBRE+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 17:06   #14
Lowsidex2
Multimodder

Lowsidex2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
The engine, which runs on DirectX 10 and Shader Model 4.0.... Expect 7800s and X1800s to run it
Is there even anything out with SM3? Are shader models just a software feature or a hardware feature? I'm wondering if a 7800 can support these features properly.
Lowsidex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 17:43   #15
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

Fibre+ - the most obvious reason is the "too soon" problem that has plagued many developers. By showing your hand early in the development cycle, certain people who don't understand the time stuff takes think 'blimey, that looks a bit good' and expect the game to be out in 6 months. Then, when it takes 2 years to complete the thing, they are accused of being "late" or criticised for the "delays".

The bottom line is that there will be a PR Plan in place that has had careful consideration and years of experience poured into it. Releasing high-res assets to us today just because the PDC presentation was leaked definitely won't be part of that plan. Clearly, we all want to spooge over crispy video & screenshots, but there are many more factors than just our personal gratification unfortunately.

I'd LOVE it to happen, but I'll understand if it doesn't.
Old 19th Sep 2005, 20:38   #16
leviathan18
Multimodder

leviathan18 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is just amazing the volumetric clouds the leaf the soft shadows

now this engine what kind of physics engine is going to support novodex one or their one.... to have fully destructible environments you will need the aegis PPU for sure
Old 19th Sep 2005, 20:42   #17
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
When you say SM4, is it the same as the difference between 2 and 3? I mean -- does sm4 add features, or just efficiency?

ch424
ch424 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 22:41   #18
otispunkmeyer
Multimodder

otispunkmeyer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SM4 but it was running on current hardware? perhaps 7800GTX goes beyond the calll of SM3?

also i reckon your gonna need that PPU (physics processor) to get the best from the physics engine, all that destructable environments, particle effects, volumetric clouds, plants n stuff....that or Dual CPU systems
The Otispunkmeyer Mac Attack: Apple MacBook Pro 15.4 inch, 1440x900 glossy LED back lit display, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 667, 160GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 8x super multi drive, Nvidia Gefore 8600GT 256MB GDDR3, JBL Radial, Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1" WS display, Apple wired aluminium keyboard, Apple wireless mighty mouse.
otispunkmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2005, 23:13   #19
Fly
inter arma silent leges

Fly has yet to learn the way of the DremelFly has yet to learn the way of the DremelFly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OMG...

Old 19th Sep 2005, 23:13   #20
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neowin boards user nw_raptor
Just found this (Higher res, uncut)!

http://www.crymod.com/index.php?p=showtopic&toid=3819