WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SETI not @ Home

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/11/23/seti_cancelled/

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 14:53   #2
Reaper_Unreal
Supermodder

Reaper_Unreal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Noooooooooo! How will I ever compare the speed of my processor with my friends now?

Seriously though, this is the first distributed computing program I ever used. I've been using Folding@home for a while now, and even that one to crack the xbox code. But the point is that it's the originator, it's the one that really started it all. Oh well, at least I can keep using my electric sheep for a while.

If you made a Venn diagram, there would be two non-overlapping circles, one of which was labeled, “Times when I am truly happy” and the other of which was labeled, “Times when I am logged in as root, holding a cable, and have the case open.”
Reaper_Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 14:54   #3
MrWillyWonka
Chocolate computers galore!

MrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now get folding to push up bit's rankings

Clicky

I said Clicky, come on, Clicky..

Clicky
MrWillyWonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 14:54   #4
bloodcar
Mod Master

bloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for president
Damnit all to hell, I'll never find my real family now.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 15:00   #5
FredsFriend
Supermodder

FredsFriend has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So it is still alive looking at the info. It's just that you can share a percentage of your resources with other projects as well, say 60% SETI 40% something else. Or have i got that completely wrong?
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 15:14   #6
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SETI@Home is far from dead. It's just going to stop being a separate entity and will be a major part of the whole BOINC system. If you are currently using the Classic client you will have to replace it with the BOINC software.

What a misleading article, sorry.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 15:57   #7
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodcar
Damnit all to hell, I'll never find my real family now.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 18:28   #8
DLoney
Multimodder

DLoney has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack
SETI@Home is far from dead. It's just going to stop being a separate entity and will be a major part of the whole BOINC system. If you are currently using the Classic client you will have to replace it with the BOINC software.

So, it will not be taken down?
DLoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 19:09   #9
quack
\o/

In its classic form, yes. But it's definitely not dead.

If you currently use the classic client you will have to download the BOINC client and upgrade your S@H account to a BOINC one. Then you can continue to crunch SETI units or you can donate some CPU cycles to one of the other BOINC projects.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 23:01   #10
kpearson
What's a Dremel?

kpearson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Rumors of SETI@home's death are greatly exaggerated

Quote:
In its classic form, yes. But it's definitely not dead.

If you currently use the classic client you will have to download the BOINC client and upgrade your S@H account to a BOINC one. Then you can continue to crunch SETI units or you can donate some CPU cycles to one of the other BOINC projects.
I agree, SETI@home is definitely not dead, and the Inquirer article is very misleading. SETI@home is merely moving from its proprietary distributed computing platform (which will no longer be supported after December 15), to the new BOINC distributed computing platform. fightAIDS@home made a similar move last week. The BOINC version of SETI@home has been running since June 22, 2004, and is performing the same science that the classic version did. SETI@home participants are required to switch to the BOINC platform after December 15 if they wish to continue participating in the project, but they are not required to participate in any of the other projects supported by BOINC.

Kirk
editor, distributedcomputing.info
kpearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2005, 01:24   #11
woodshop
UnSeenly

woodshop has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

Correct!
I Switched to the Boinc stuff long ago.
Allready got 68 Thousand+ Credits (Sry no wu's)

And change that ARTICLE!!!! the screensaver STILL LIVES!!!
woodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Nov 2005, 00:56   #12
Alan
Multimodder

Alan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I got an e-mail from Seti saying exactly the things said here. It isn't gone, just moved over to BOINC. Really inaccurate reporting.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Nov 2005, 04:22   #13
zoom314
Multimodder

zoom314 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Only SetiClassic is shutting down, SetiBoinc is crunching on and still searching for ET, SetiBoinc crunches numbers faster than SetiClassic does anyway, So even though It has been nice, It's more of a software upgrade to Me.
zoom314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2005, 14:59   #14
quack
\o/

At least The Register can do their research right. I was very disappointed at The Inquirer for their totally inaccurate report, and with bit for simply repeating without researching.
Old 28th Nov 2005, 21:15   #15
Nottheking
Multimodder

Nottheking has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Inquirer strikes again, as usual, it seems. It would've been a tremendous shame to see such a bleak ending come to what is definitely the world's first great distributed-computing project. I mean, we have plenty of others out there that, by some standards, are more deserving, (like Stanford's Folding@Home) but all of them are worthy causes, and people do definitely deserve the freedom to spend their computing power, a resource that is clearly becoming more and more valuable and closer to currency every day in our information age.
Nottheking is offline   Reply With Quote