Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sky rolls out HD on May 22

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/05/05/sky_hd_may_22/

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 12:03   #2
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Because 1080i uses less bandwidth than 720p

It's another marketing thing they fail to inform you of.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 12:27   #3
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Either "Return of the Sith" is a joke or plain wrong :P

Revenge of the Sith
or
Return of the Jedi

Make a choice damnit! Im just picky when it comes to Star Wars titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 12:28   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
400,000 on day one?? According to the Beeb they've only got 40,000 pre-orders, and I'm sure they won't be filling all of those on day one!! More like a few thousand every weekday until the world cup starts.
Old 5th May 2006, 12:48   #5
GreatOldOne
Wannabe Martian

GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!GreatOldOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
My box is being installed on the 24th... So not day one. But I'm not complaining!
"Maybe we're on Mars because we have to be, because there's a deep nomadic impulse built into us by the evolutionary process, we come after all, from hunter gatherers, and for 99.9% of our tenure on Earth we've been wanderers. And, the next place to wander to, is Mars. But whatever the reason you're on Mars is, I'm glad you're there. And I wish I was with you."
- Carl Sagan

A GOO-ster is Born - Build Diary RSS I'm a Great Oakley product tester! My purpose built testing centre
GreatOldOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 13:18   #6
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Think my mate's getting it in time for the world cup, it's soon anyway, to go with his 92" projector - can't wait!
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 13:54   #7
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
I refuse to pay another 10 for the HD service, I dont mind forking out for the box.

How many HD channels are they going to launch with?

I'm already unhappy with sky that I they have the longest advert breaks, sometimes I even forget what show I'm watching and go and do something else
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 14:13   #8
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
think skys bad for ads...channel 4 and the second series of Lost is a joke! jesus there was an add every 5 minutes! i knew i shoulda just torrented them months ago..sigh
Old 5th May 2006, 15:16   #9
genesisofthesith
complete spanner

genesisofthesith has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Because 1080i uses less bandwidth than 720p

It's another marketing thing they fail to inform you of.
1080i uses more bandwidth than 720p.

1920 x 540(1080i) = 1,036,800 pixels per frame
1280 x 720 (720p) = 921,600 pixels per frame

In addition, due to the transmission method its not really 1080i, as mpeg 2/4 broadcast only the updates to the previous frame, not a wholly new frame, so a 1080p frame is essentially avaliable to the box.

You do have to wonder if the bandwidth is good enough for such images though, as if its not,compression artifacts will hinder the image far more than the theoretical increase would advance it.

The traditional logic that 1080i isn't suitable for sports , and that you need a progressive feed also seems a little odd, considering most people are fine with 576i as we currently have.
genesisofthesith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 15:39   #10
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
1080i = 1036800 @ 30fps = 31104000
720p = 921600 @ 60fps = 55296000

= 1.78x more data per second needs to be transferred for 720p over 1080i.

I thought it was only divx/xvid (mpeg 4) that updates the frame, because you need keyframes not mpeg2 which is "whole", hence you can compress a DVD into 2 CDs and not have that much quality loss.

I wouldnt say most people are fine, I'd say most people dont know any better, or their TVs are too crap to allow any difference.
Old 5th May 2006, 15:50   #11
genesisofthesith
complete spanner

1080i is also 60fps, giving 30 full frames per second, but the value I calculated was the single refresh (half full frame) so that value is directly comparable to a full 720p frame. 1080i uses more bandwidth than 720p.
Old 5th May 2006, 15:58   #12
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Yea it's 60 half frames so that doesnt really count as a complete frame, which makes it 30.

It doesnt, because in the same amount of time, 720p transmits more. If you're only getting half a 1080 frame, at 60fps, then you're only getting 518400 pixels, which is 0.5625 as much as a complete 720 frame in the same time.
Old 5th May 2006, 16:03   #13
genesisofthesith
complete spanner

no, a full 1080p frame is 1920x1080, I calculated the pixel count of the 1920x540 half frame, which is what is displayed sixty times a second.

so 1080i is either:
1920 x 1080 x 30
or
1920 x 540 x 60

That gives 62,208,000 pixels per second.

720p is 1280 x 720 x 60 which is 55,296,000 pixels per second.
Old 5th May 2006, 16:03   #14
MrWillyWonka
Chocolate computers galore!

MrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Finally, it was supposed to be released in March the last I heard. 300 for a box? Im going to wait a bit but I will get it by the end of the year and hopefully by then the price will have dropped a bit. It also means I need an 8 way dish since the HD box is a plus box. (already have a + and two normal boxes in the house).

Can't wait tbh, now I can really put my HDTV to use.

And bindi is correct, 1080i uses 30fps, or so that what is says in my tv manual, even though it doesn't support that mode!
MrWillyWonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 16:12   #15
genesisofthesith
complete spanner

As I have said it is 60 half frames a second, or 30 full frames. Thats why the 1080i/60 mark is the prevalent one.

My JVC DIST CRT does 1080i/60, which is what most american HD broadcasts are.

Sky may be using 50hz rather than 60hz over here, so it would be 720p/50 and 1080i/50.

1080i/60 has the same percieved detail levels as 1080p, as well as the motion smoothness of a 60hz frame. A 1080p/30 frame would look less smooth, yet would have the same bandwidth requirements.

The bandwidth that bindi calculated was for a non existant 1080i/30. It is either 1080i/60 or 1080p/30 that sky uses, wheras Blu'ray + hd-dvd will use 1080p/60 which has twice the bandwidth.
Old 5th May 2006, 18:33   #16
korben
Multimodder

korben has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosch
I'm already unhappy with sky that I they have the longest advert breaks, sometimes I even forget what show I'm watching and go and do something else
Not arguing with that, but all channels are governed by OFCOM, and have to abide by the same rules - maximum 12 mins per hour, as long as the channel does not exceed 9mins of commercials on average per hour over a 24 hour period.
Old 6th May 2006, 01:39   #17
otispunkmeyer
Multimodder

otispunkmeyer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
we've only jus picked up sky plus

its awesome, never gonna miss a show ever again. were not getting HD tv jus yet, not that we cant afford it, its just i recommended to my dad that he hold off for abit, wait for SKY HD to get going (ie enough channels to make it worth while) and wait for other things like HD-DVD/Blu Ray players to get out, mature and drop in price along with HDTV's.

i think its better value if you dont jump on the bandwagon first. like he said the most popular HD res is 720p, most of the TV sets sold are 720p. maybes by christmas you can pick up a 1080p tv for the same money a 720p cost when it first came out. who knows.
The Otispunkmeyer Mac Attack: Apple MacBook Pro 15.4 inch, 1440x900 glossy LED back lit display, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 667, 160GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 8x super multi drive, Nvidia Gefore 8600GT 256MB GDDR3, JBL Radial, Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20.1" WS display, Apple wired aluminium keyboard, Apple wireless mighty mouse.
otispunkmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 01:46   #18
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by korben
Not arguing with that, but all channels are governed by OFCOM, and have to abide by the same rules - maximum 12 mins per hour, as long as the channel does not exceed 9mins of commercials on average per hour over a 24 hour period.
thats a load of ********

or atleast for channels that are not C4 or ITV (C3)

sky has 5 minuite adverts for every 10 minuites of program

EG, program starts at 7:00
First adverts at 7:10 - 7:15
Secodn part of program 7:15-7:25
More ads 7:25-7:30

if its an hour program, it is then 4 sections, and they then somtimes make part 1 & 4 shorter, and 2&3 longer

anyway, all that means, in 1 hour, sky channels (or any channel thats not C4/C3) has 20 minuites of adverts in a 1 hour program slot

Edit
Also, C4/C3 show 3 minuites of adverts inbetween sectiosn of programs, making for 12 minuites of adverts per hour
So that average thing would appear to be wrong ... but the 12 min limit still applies

Edit 2
Lol forgot to actually comment on sky

Sky is rediculously expensive for what it is, plus 10/mo for SKY+ (unless u fork out for 3 premium packages)
and now they want another 10/mo for HD, which only seems to have like 5-10 channels at the most
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 01:47   #19
ozstrike
yip yip yip yip

ozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremelozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm trying to persuade my dad to get a HD box to go with the 720p projector we have.
I think we'll have to get a new dish, as we already have a sky+ box on it.
The new box is pretty snazzy looking, too.
Old 6th May 2006, 01:58   #20
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

Looks like it has a SATA port, and a USB and a ethernet port on it

i wonder if we will be able to use these .....

Otherwise, it seems to have component, plus a HDMI connector (Which ive never seen) and the normal RF and scart

and the box needs 2 inputs from your sky dish to be able to record and play at the same time

Huh .... whats the point in that ....

Edit
http://www.bargainspy.co.uk/sky-hd
Quote:
When the service launches (early 2006) broadcast content will be in one of two formats, 720/P/50 for progressively scanned picture or 1080/I/25 for interlaced picture. The end format seen by the viewer will depend on the broadcasters requirements
And @ the register
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04...v_sky_tv_here/
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote