bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th May 2006, 11:27   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel Announces Brand Name For New Chips

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/05...for_new_chips/
Old 8th May 2006, 11:41   #2
zinger
Multimodder

zinger has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Conroe chips appear to be the sweet ones. I read a review of one of these being drastically overclocked and with it running on air it was only 40 degrees.
zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 12:07   #3
Solidus
Superhuman

Solidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Any news when the AM2 chips will be out? (i hope i said the name right)

Im curious to see exactly how well they do against the competition before i commit and buy :s
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 12:22   #4
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus
Any news when the AM2 chips will be out? (i hope i said the name right)

Im curious to see exactly how well they do against the competition before i commit and buy :s
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/04...es_am2_launch/
Old 8th May 2006, 12:43   #5
Solidus
Superhuman

Solidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youSolidus - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
ah thanks bigz, much appreciated

Im guessing the general belief is that the AM2 wont be as good as conroe? Its the general feeling im getting it seems and that article seems to suggest it wont be a huge leap forward from current hardware.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 13:06   #6
atanum141
I fapped to your post!

atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:

Im guessing the general belief is that the AM2 wont be as good as conroe? Its the general feeling im getting it seems and that article seems to suggest it wont be a huge leap forward from current hardware.
Funny thing is i saw some benchies of a Beta AM2/Mobo/BIOS config a few days ago, tbh the AM2 setup lost in all the benchies compared to a 3500+/DFI setup...and thats using DDR2 667/800mhz.

They said the thing that kills the AM2 is the latancies that DDR2 have.

TBH ill wait till sept untill i make any major purchaces.

Welcome to Thunderdome, B*tch
XBL: atanum141
atanum141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 13:16   #7
Callum
Supermodder

Callum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

Everyone keeps saying this, but it's not supposed to. AM2 is a new socket, the chips are still the same architecture. There will be no large increases in speed with the AM2 chips over the Socket 939 chips, because they are essentially the same chips!
Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 13:25   #8
zr_ox
Whooolapoook

zr_ox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel should think of finding a better nameing policy.

Here we go again with low this, medium that and high to everything else. Its becoming a nightmare with all of these code names for this that and the other.

Cant say I'm not interested though...if the rumours are true about passive cooling I'm in.
Old 8th May 2006, 13:26   #9
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

I think that low-latency DDR2 memory is what's required by AM2 to make it perform. Ultimately, there is some locked potential in AM2 that will only get unlocked when memory manufacturers release low-latency DDR2 memory. AM2 doesn't need more bandwidth, as the architecture relies heavily on latency.

Intel's current architecture works differently as it benefits more from bandwidth than latency. I'm not sure how Conroe will work in comparison yet - only time will tell after independent testing has been completed. Conroe does have a huge 4MB cache though, so the implications suggest that Conroe also benefits from huge bandwidth. SuperPI 1M, for example, can fit inside the 4MB cache (which has massive bandwidth in comparison to the DDR2 memory controller in the chipset).
Old 8th May 2006, 21:07   #10
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
i hope intel learns to make bether names for there chips, i am getting tired of these strange names, they should do something like pentium 5 or something like that.
Old 9th May 2006, 15:28   #11
Lazarus Dark
Supermodder

Lazarus Dark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, I was actually hoping that they would go with Pentium 5. Core, Core2 is boring, bland, unimaginative. Pentium even after so long still sounds cool. Its like a metal-titanium or uranium. Pentium sounds strong.

And what about the uninformed consumers? Its going to be a hard sell. Anyone would have known that Pentium 5 is better than Pentium 4. But whats a Core? I can actually see people saying no to the salesperson, I want a P4. or the online Dell (gag me) buyers choose P4 thinking its fast cuz thats what the bluemangroup told them. Even after a year few nontechies know what dual core means and are now choosing P4's over Penium D's. In fact glancing at the local best buy ad in last weeks sunday paper, I saw NO dual core Intels or AMDs for sale period.

Core/Core2 was not a smart name IMO