http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/06...vista_is_late/

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 10:54   #2
Lazlow
I have a dremel.

Lazlow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Cache
Add to this the fact that building Windows on a dual-proc dev box takes nearly 24 hours
!
Old 16th Jun 2006, 11:23   #3
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Apparently Longhorn Server is tested on 10,000 machines 24/7, same for Server 2003!

I can believe it's management's fault

ch424
ch424 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 11:54   #4
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
i can understand why it takes so long, using the beta you can see just how complex it is

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 12:12   #5
olly_lewis
Hypermodder

olly_lewis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Guess we'll be finding Philip Su's body rolled up in a carpet and ditched in a abandoned lot or at the bottom of the Hudson, after that insider report.
I agree that Microsoft is flawed in the amount of coders and workers ratioed to the amount of vice presidents, which must be in triple figures by now...
But bad managment being the main reason for the delay in Vista? Yeah I can buy tha, but I still think that the extra time they have clawed back from the delays has to be used to clean up the code and create a more coherent and stable OS, less security holes. But it looks like the holes are in the very managment structure of Mircosoft... We wait and see if Vista is pushed back even further...
olly_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 12:20   #6
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This isn't any different from the developer who tore into Sony and the PS3.

It's nice to see that someone has the guts to stand up and say that there is too much management and not enough work being done... now if only someone would say it about the NHS...
Old 16th Jun 2006, 12:28   #7
TheColdLord
Multimodder

TheColdLord has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well it depends on how is done of the code writing at the momment. That will decide wheter or not it will be released this year or in 2007
Old 16th Jun 2006, 12:52   #8
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"too many cooks spoil the broth"

Typical when a company gets too bloated, i gotta say tho, 1000 - 2500 lines /yr, Thats pretty rubbish imo .... ive written 1000 lines of code in a day before, though not anywhere near the level of programming MS programmers work at
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 13:01   #9
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
After reading that blog about how the VPs keep sending the programmers back to 'come up with something else' until they hear what they want to hear, I thought today's Dilbert was strangely apt!
Old 16th Jun 2006, 15:21   #10
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This just illustrates something that I've always thought about Windows. It's trying to be too much at one time.

Windows is an operating system, and it should stick to that because it does that quite well. Trying to force an application to do too much only creates problems (and delays) down the road.

-monkey
But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 17:11   #11
DreamTheEndless
Gravity hates Bacon

DreamTheEndless has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I sent this to MDN (here) and they added it, but without the link back to bit-tech
(

Here's what I sent them:
> from MDN reader DreamTheEndless:
>
> bit-tech writeup -
> http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/06...vista_is_late/
>
> link to google archive of story (original has been removed.):
> http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:V...logs.msdn.com/
> philipsu/def
> ault.aspx
>
> Very interesting - it's a good read.

)
DreamTheEndless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 17:17   #12
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's funny - back in 2001 would you have believed that it'd be 2007 at least before we see the next Windows?
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 18:10   #13
Techno-Dann
Disgruntled kumquat

Techno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
"The largest software project in mankindís history now threatens to also be the longest."
So... Will Duke Nukem Forever be a bundled extra?
Techno-Dann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 18:19   #14
bloodcar
Mod Master

bloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for president
Well, I reckon the saying is true. Give 2,000 monkies keyboards and they'll eventually bang out an OS.
Old 16th Jun 2006, 18:41   #15
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodcar
Well, I reckon the saying is true. Give 2,000 monkies keyboards and they'll eventually bang out an OS.
lol ^^
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2006, 21:36   #16
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Vista will come out a cripled OS with lots of holes so microsoft can gain some extra profit and make you buy "protection". anyway i hope this is not a crap OS like ME was.
Old 17th Jun 2006, 00:08   #17
mattyt
Minimodder

mattyt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Woops, look like someone, or some people never read Fred Brooks' 'The Mythical Man Month' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...216999-1292650)
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2006, 01:55   #18
phoenix174
What's a Dremel?

phoenix174 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
After all this time, you would think that Vista would be at least 1 more step closer to being finished.
However, as one person said above, you'd think that they'd be spending all this time cleaning up the code. Whats the bet that when Vista comes out, 1 week later there will be 20 Hotfixes?
phoenix174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2006, 03:07   #19
moddenmania
Multimodder

moddenmania has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Here's what I think. Back in the day when microsoft was young in the pre 2000 era Microsoft could roll out a new operating system in just a couple of years. Look at Windows '95 and '98. It came out really quickly. Now Microsoft is not as lean and nimble they used to be able to make changes easily there wasn't some incredible amount of code. You look at the open source community today and they can do anything look at projects such as audacity,firefox (well kinda),true crypt, and wikipedia. The industry has changed the young fresh meat in the programming community actually aren't working for the big corporations, they are going toward the open source community some of these projects make a huge amount of money. And the fact is that Microsoft's programmers are a little past their prime and thats why vista is delayed. When there's also 50 million lines of code it takes the old guys even longer.
moddenmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2006, 03:45   #20
Breach
Modding in Exile

Breach has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think microsofts real problem is they are trying so intensley to break into competing markets at the expense of thier own core business of making operating systems. They are trying to take down Sony, Google, Apple, and a few others, in markets that do not have any influence on what operating system people use to use programs from Google and the like. Now as we have seen, Vista is later and later, and being stripped of all features that were supposed to make it a truley new Windows. I have played with Vista beta 2, and it seems mostly like a really pretty and enhanced XP. Granted it is a whole new story underneath.

I can see with its complexity that beta and bugs will be numerous and take some time to fix. But I think this is MS's own fault for letting loose a release date they couldnt have possibly met.

I will still hope for a Phantom game console that runs Vista so I can play Duke Nukem Forever though