bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Jul 2006, 15:23   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD / ATI merger looks like it could be on

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/07...t_could_be_on/

Old 21st Jul 2006, 15:55   #2
dire_wolf
Last Of The Dovakhiin

dire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for president
i hope this doesn't result in nvidia going the way of 3dfx, they've been pushing the envelope for a long time now and it'd be a shame for us for ATi to have the market to themselves.

Then again, having ATi and AMD working toghether even closer could produce some awesome tech

We shall see
dire_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2006, 16:46   #3
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
I doubt NVIDIA would because both AMD and Intel want its technology. Providing NVIDIA continues to produce good products, NVIDIA will continue to be a big part of the market.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 18:05   #4
Vergil_117
Multimodder

Vergil_117 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As long as I see AMD based motherboards with nvidia chipsets I'm happy.
Vergil_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2006, 18:06   #5
EQC
Multimodder

EQC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If this merger goes through, would ATI's "customer service" type stuff be likely to improve with AMD's influence?

Granted, my experience only relates to one ATI product (the HDTV Wonder tuner card)...but based on forum discussions, many folks had the exact same problems I did -- the card was released with terrible software, and updating the software is about a 2 hour process (manually uninstalling 4 things, then deleting certain remaining files, then manually installing 4-5 files, with occasional restarts and the need for your original driver CD). I upgraded regularly in spite of that lengthy process...with no fixing of the original problems. One of their updates actually created new problems (screen going blank precisely every 5 minutes for about 1/2 second while watching tv)...and tons of other folks got the exact same result. After 2 months of emails back and forth with their "customer support," the problem could not be fixed (even with a multitude of the 2-hour uninstall/reinstall processes), and they acted like they couldn't replicate the problem on their end. The even released a couple full software updates in there that still didn't fix the problem. Finally, at least 6 months after they created the problem, they released software that didn't have the problem.

bla bla bla, i'm rambling....I realize TV tuners aren't ATI's main expertise or purpose....but I found the experience ridiculous and was really turned off of ATI products for good (why would I want to support a company that put me through that? or risk running into another similar problem, trying to get another $200 purchase to work how it should?).

All you guys with ATI video cards -- have you had similar experiences, or was this just one product that ATI didn't have the resources/know-how/manpower for when they designed/introduced it? Is ATI known for this sort of thing, and would it be expected that AMD could fix this sort of problem?
EQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2006, 18:24   #6
Vergil_117
Multimodder

Vergil_117 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I only had ATI driver/steam update issues.
Vergil_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2006, 18:31   #7
valium
Supermodder

valium has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't see this happening and if it does I don't see it affecting nVidia at all. If this does happen I just pray this doesn't turn into some kind of nVidia (Intel) vs ATi (AMD) war as that would segregate the majority of people who use the AMD product line and nVidia.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 18:44   #8
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
this could prove interesting.....very interesting technology, very fast and eficient technology.....i doubt it would happen.
Old 21st Jul 2006, 18:44   #9
CAL3H
Minimodder

CAL3H has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by valium
I don't see this happening and if it does I don't see it affecting nVidia at all. If this does happen I just pray this doesn't turn into some kind of nVidia (Intel) vs ATi (AMD) war as that would segregate the majority of people who use the AMD product line and nVidia.
Ditto that. That would really suck with the amount of enthusiasts with firm AMD+nVidia fixtures. Come on AMD, is this the way its meant to be played?
CAL3H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2006, 21:50   #10
TheColdLord
Multimodder

TheColdLord has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I sure as hell hope that it isn't going to be like that....I mean nVidia was and AMD belong togheter if anything. Not to mention that a very high % of ppl use that combination.I was allways an nVidia AMD fanboy, and I would hate to see AMD end up with ATI. . PLZ AMD don't do it!!!!
Old 21st Jul 2006, 23:41   #11
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Currently using an AMD/nVidia setup so this makes me think if my next rig won't be Intel/nVidia considering the fact Conroe/Kentsfield seem to be the new kings of the hill.
As Intel seems to take back the gamer's choice award from AMD and nVidia probably working closer with Intel I hope there will be way more options for us to upgrade.

And about nVidia going the 3Dfx way: Never! nVidia are way too big for this. Iirc nVidia bought 3Dfx for like 200-300 million DM (about 100-150 €) and that was a hell lot of money for a graphic card company back then. If ATI would try to buy nVidia... some zeros anyone?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 00:44   #12
ChromeX
I *am* a Dremel

ChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by aon`aTv.gsus666
And about nVidia going the 3Dfx way: Never! nVidia are way too big for this. Iirc nVidia bought 3Dfx for like 200-300 million DM (about 100-150 €) and that was a hell lot of money for a graphic card company back then. If ATI would try to buy nVidia... some zeros anyone?
lets get it right! 3dfx were these biggest company of their day in their industry and the only reason nvidia bought them out was because they went into liquidation because of a massive error on there part. Now sure ati might not have the funds to buy nvidia but intel sure do!
ChromeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 09:50   #13
TheColdLord
Multimodder

TheColdLord has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeX
Now sure ati might not have the funds to buy nvidia but intel sure do!
DON'T SAY THAT. As I see it for the momment it is good to have all 4 these working separatly. Sure if they would merge there would probably be a few optimizations....but thats all IMHO(+research).
Old 22nd Jul 2006, 16:29   #14
Irvine
Multimodder

Irvine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The bright side is that we may see nVidia chipsets running with Core procs!
Old 23rd Jul 2006, 17:57   #15
Freedom
Hypermodder

Freedom has yet to learn the way of the DremelFreedom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I dont think its gonna happen at all its just the usally rumer doing the rounds.
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2006, 23:08   #16
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Heres a nice view on it: http://voodoopc.blogspot.com/2006/07...one-three.html

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2006, 02:08   #17
Freedom
Hypermodder

Freedom has yet to learn the way of the DremelFreedom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Still not convince d id put a tenner on them nt join in foreseeabel future(If i wasnt a skint student who does not have a tenner)
Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2006, 11:58   #18
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Looks like it's official

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. said Monday it will pay $5.4 billion to acquire top graphics chip maker ATI Technologies Inc., as Intel Corp.'s biggest rival in the market for personal-computer microprocessors attempts to expand its product portfolio.

Under terms approved unanimously by both companies' boards of directors, Sunnyvale, Calif.-based AMD will pay $4.2 billion in cash and 57 million AMD shares to acquire all of ATI's outstanding stock, according to a news release.

Based on AMD's closing share price of $18.21 on Friday, the deal valued ATI's shares at $20.47, a premium of almost 24 percent compared with ATI's Friday's closing price of $16.56 on the Nasdaq Stock Market. ATI shares surged more than 9 percent to $18.07 in pre-market trading after the news.

AMD, which has been shelling out billions to add factory capacity so it can better compete with Intel Corp., will pay for the acquisition with a $2.5 billion loan from Morgan Stanley to help fund the purchase.

AMD expects the deal to contribute "slightly" to earnings next year and add "meaningfully" to profit by 2008. The purchase will save the combined company about $75 million by the end of 2007.

The AMD-ATI marriage could shift the balance of power in the chip industry in significant ways. AMD's product portfolio — which has remained limited to the microprocessors that act as a PC's main calculating engine — would balloon overnight, as it folds in two major new chip categories.

The new offerings would broaden AMD's package of products as it takes on Intel, the world's biggest chip maker that has long supplied a wider portfolio. In addition to supplying microprocessors, Intel, the world's biggest chip maker, sells so-called chipsets, which connect a microprocessor to a PC's other core components. It also sells graphics chips, which power images rendered by computer games and internet video.

Markham, Ontario-based ATI, which makes chipsets and graphics chips for PCs, also makes a host of semiconductors for consumer products, such high definition TVs and cell phones.

An acquisition of ATI "would make AMD a bigger player with a more diversified portfolio," said Nathan Brookwood, an analyst with research firm Insight 64. It "would certainly put AMD on a more equal footing relative to Intel."

The deal also put competitive pressure on Nvidia Corp., the other dominant maker of graphics chips. Santa Clara, Calif.-based Nvidia has competed against Intel in selling chipsets and graphics chips while counting on AMD for sales of those products.
Wish they'd gone with nVidia, but still...
Old 24th Jul 2006, 12:13   #19
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Pfff, NV arent for the sell out. You cant fanboyise an business decision.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jul 2006, 12:20   #20
quack
\o/

quack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_14197_14198,00.html