bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 30th Oct 2008, 18:31   #1
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
MBF: Plank --12 20 08--Finished w/ final pics

This SHOULD be a quick and simple build. My Mom needs a new home computer to replace a Dell 500mhz dinosaur. Recently, JHanlon dropped the perfect system for an upgrade in my mailbox.
-So Mom is getting a computer for Christmas.
I plan to make a wood-plexiglas ArtDeco thing...

-Kinda like that one... (I had a lot of free time to draw after that hurricane.)
The wood will have to be oak. It's the only thing I can get here. The plexiglas will be opaque black and UV blue.

-The first thing I need to do is make a frame for all the parts. This was the original layout plan... The parts you see here are all duds. I'm only using them for layout purposes.

-The baseplate doubles as a notepad. I'm using a lot of scraps and junk for the guts, and I'm not putting my usual finishing work into anything unseen. The inside will likely look like cr*p.

-Here I test fit the first set of mounting holes. I added a severe countersink...for fun.

-The layout changed and I needed a bracket for the floppy and two of the motherboard screws. Parts for this came from a broken speaker stand, this castoff from a plastics scrapyard, and one of those 'free, take one' boxes. -It said it was free...

-Here's the current layout with the new floppy stand. I was going to make the frame a slide-out rig, but the side mounted floppy ruined that idea. Things could get tricky because of that stupid thing.

-I've learned from my mistakes finally. I milled grooves to mount the floppy instead of holes.

-I already have some tricky design flaws. The motherboard must be mounted by one screw, then rotated to mount the floppy. I will need to add an extra 1/8" to the motherboard risers so the floppy screws can't ground out. -This thing keeps getting taller.

-Here's the current layout. I need to go to the store and get some 3" 6-32 screws for the back motherboard risers.

Next time I'll show you the tire tracked, warped cr*p they call premium lumber in Houston.

Last edited by Cheapskate; 20th Dec 2008 at 22:46.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2008, 18:44   #2
AFX
"Bling" Silver Mountain 2

AFX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like it will be a great build! Keeping my eye on this one.
Old 30th Oct 2008, 20:32   #3
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice size for the motherboard, but Dude that ancient Dell HDD is far and away the smallest capacity 3.5" I have every seen! 3.1 Gb? My resume is that big. I'm glad you decided to do something for your Mom. I'm watching. Oh, and I like the Art Deco drawings.
Old 30th Oct 2008, 20:38   #4
thechoozen
Hypermodder

thechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysisthechoozen can run Crysis
Quote:
. Oh, and I like the Art Deco drawings.
+1 me too
thechoozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2008, 21:35   #5
slipperyskip
Decade Club

slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
You can't build a computer out of wood. It will overheat and burst into flames killing all of your family.

Art Deco...never heard of it. That looks like something copied from Bioshock.
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2008, 22:51   #6
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks everyone.
@John - I have a working 1gig around somewhere. It just isn't very practical. I have a box about as big as the one you sent me filled with dead hardrives.
@slipperyskip - ...Of all people to say that.
Old 30th Oct 2008, 22:59   #7
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope that was a joke.(the part about wood)
Anyways, Looks like a fun little build there. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

edit:unrefreshed fail.

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2008, 00:55   #8
slipperyskip
Decade Club

slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Everyone knows that wood is an insulator. Heat will build up in the case. And the EMI is so bad with a wooden case you have to wear an aluminum hat and thong when you are around one.

You can't ground them either. You have to hold onto a drain pipe while booting up.

Other than that...nice design ideas.
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2008, 01:01   #9
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip View Post
And the EMI is so bad with a wooden case you have to wear an aluminum hat and thong when you are around one.
Well now there is a visual to sleep on!
Old 31st Oct 2008, 02:22   #10
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip View Post
Everyone knows that wood is an insulator. Heat will build up in the case. And the EMI is so bad with a wooden case you have to wear an aluminum hat and thong when you are around one.

You can't ground them either. You have to hold onto a drain pipe while booting up.

Other than that...nice design ideas.
With a properly designed case that is not a problem. You can look around and there are at least two wooden PSU mods.
All you need is decent airflow to stop heat build up and grounding them isnt that big of an issue as long as the psu is properly hooked up.

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2008, 02:44   #11
ModMinded
Are you throwing that away?

ModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the DremelModMinded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mph View Post
With a properly designed case that is not a problem. You can look around and there are at least two wooden PSU mods.
All you need is decent airflow to stop heat build up and grounding them isnt that big of an issue as long as the psu is properly hooked up.
He's joking... look his mods up

@cheapskate- boy, you STAY busy, don't you. I can't wait to see how this is developed. Count me subscribed. Shame that you're not got gonna do your special stuff to the inside. Like the art deco ideas, and the uvblue and black plexi styling.
Old 31st Oct 2008, 23:47   #12
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

You people kill me.
Grounded metal thong...That's kinda gross. There's a jiffy-pop joke in there...
Old 31st Oct 2008, 23:53   #13
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
You people kill me.
Grounded metal thong...That's kinda gross. There's a jiffy-pop joke in there...
Not at my age!
/Back on topic
What are you going to do for HDD and why the floppy? Put Mom's stuff on a USB key and transfer it that way. I don't even have a floppy drive in my stash closet since MaximumPC did the article on adding raid to an XP SP2 CD image.
Old 1st Nov 2008, 00:13   #14
acey
Multimodder

acey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ANOTHER? Man I haven't finish reading all your work... LOL

How thick is that plexi in teh 5th pic btw? Looks yummy
acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2008, 17:29   #15
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

@John - I had the sytem running already for your waterblock test. I got a free 40 gig from one of those people who buy a new Dell if their power supply dies.
We are talking about my mom here. She just got the hang of using a floppy, and I doubt she could keep track of a USB key. I've lost track of how many times she dropped her phone in the toilet.
@Acey - 1/2"
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 14:36   #16
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Quick and simple?! You're a moddin machine Cheap! This one should be very cool
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 15:40   #17
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

Reread. Looks nice and small. How about the power? Your second wiring harness is in the mail today - PROMISE - I found it again.
Old 2nd Nov 2008, 18:18   #18
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Thanks,Bill.
@John - Oh, good! Thanks!! Now I can order a laptop powerbrick for it. I dug around looking for something that could connect to the DC in jack on the powersupplies you sent me. I couldn't find anything that matched that wierd post.
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 00:58   #19
bradders2125
Supermodder

bradders2125 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looking good so far.

I have a nice conner CP30084E 84mb IDE drive , which is now a platter wall clock as i like the brass colour they have.
bradders2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 01:15   #20
Djayness
phwupupupup

Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.Djayness is definitely a rep cheat.
Ah acrylic, the mac daddy of all materials I will be watching this one!
Djayness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scratch build

View Mode