bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 3rd Nov 2008, 15:44   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Core i7 920 @ 4GHz

We'll see if it's benchmark stable, but it's prime stable still

<3 P6T, Thermalright Ultra Extreme and Corsair Dominator memory.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 15:48   #2
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
oh smeg!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 15:54   #3
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
20 x 200, how ultimately elegant!

BTW, does dropping the multi by 1 or 2 give good overhead for the FSB core frequency? At these high multiplyers it could be worth it quite easily...
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 16:03   #4
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh View Post
20 x 200, how ultimately elegant!

BTW, does dropping the multi by 1 or 2 give good overhead for the FSB core frequency? At these high multiplyers it could be worth it quite easily...
Not really, unless you're going for memory bandwidth, but it has that in oodles anyway.

We're finding that QPI/Uncore frequency (like AMD CPUs) is the limiting factor and needs to be clocked back a bit.
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 16:35   #5
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
C'mon Bindi.. over 4.1 - you can do it!
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 16:46   #6
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Oh aye, I'm not done yet
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 17:15   #7
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
how easy was this O/C? I think I might get a 920 and put a mild O/C but I don't want an expensive or monstrous cooling solution. Think it could be stable around 3ghz+ with a very quite air cooling solution?
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 17:21   #8
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think 3Ghz would be very tame - although I don't think you'd get quiet cooling without a chunk of copper heatpiping and alu sat on top of the cpu.
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 17:26   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka View Post
how easy was this O/C? I think I might get a 920 and put a mild O/C but I don't want an expensive or monstrous cooling solution. Think it could be stable around 3ghz+ with a very quite air cooling solution?
Piece of piss if you know what you're doing.

We *do* have a monstrous cooling solution though (Thermalright Ultra Extreme).
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 19:52   #10
Asulc
Learning to mod

Asulc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have never overclocked before, but I am really loving the price for performance of the i7 920. Would it be fairly easy for me to overclock for the first time using this processor?
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 20:13   #11
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
How hot is it running at those kind of speeds?
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 20:20   #12
dragontail
5bet Bluffer

dragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldragontail has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasked View Post
+1
Load temps?
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 21:13   #13
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
how close are you to the TDP OC limit of 130W?
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 22:27   #14
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Easily over 130W. It's a hot office (we can't turn the heating off) and I'm idling at 45C on a TRUE. I've had it running at 80C and it's perfectly stable though.

This is at 1.35V mind and on an open air test-bench, no case airflow. I've been talking to some people elsewhere overclocking them today and a lot of others have had good results on water - 45C load at 4.2-4.4GHz.

It's a piece of piss to overclock - I'm writing an article for later in the week to walk you through it with 2 boards. We decided to do a more complete look than including OC figures today because of the popularity of our previous Q6600 OC article/guide
Old 3rd Nov 2008, 22:39   #15
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasked View Post
so hot it turned his screen orange apparently!
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2008, 09:42   #16
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
so hot it turned his screen orange apparently!

I run different background colours to remember what PC I'm looking at
Old 4th Nov 2008, 09:47   #17
outlawaol
Geeked since 1982

outlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysis
MMmmm... 4 cores 8 threads.... cheesecake...

Think I'll wait for 32nm on these babies, hehe.
Old 4th Nov 2008, 10:43   #18
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
WOW!
that's pretty impressive. And i thought my 800MHz OC on my E6600 (to 3.2GHz) was solid for air cooling.
So much for all the AMD naysayers going "No... you won't be able to OC these puppies..."...
Old 4th Nov 2008, 10:50   #19
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Well it's the Havendales that worry me to be honest, although having experienced the overhead of QPI I'm in more favour that they should be good now. Depending on whether the Uncore area with its new components survives the stress of overclocking.
Old 4th Nov 2008, 10:51   #20
naokaji
whatever

naokaji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
WOW!
that's pretty impressive. And i thought my 800MHz OC on my E6600 (to 3.2GHz) was solid for air cooling.
So much for all the AMD naysayers going "No... you won't be able to OC these puppies..."...
hehe yep and thats with first rev everything, in half a year they will go a few hundred mhz higher due to better cpu's, chipsets, bios versions.

Quote:
Opportunity is like delivery by DHL, it does not come to you, you have to track it down and chase it
naokaji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overclock