bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 24th Sep 2009, 01:30   #21
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good News Everyone!

My PSU died this morning! I pressed the power button on my nifty control panel, and then i heard *POPfizzle*. Smelling electric death, I said **** it, and then went to class.
Getting back from my first class I tried to start the PSU out of the case and it wouldn't start. Knowing that could be at least one of the problems I went over to my local Frys and had them find me a Corsair TX750 they had hidden somewhere in the store. Bought it, installed it, power on and it works! Now this mod is ~$120 over budget for now.
Moral of the story: Raidmax PSU's can die easily.

Now I have a bunch of cables I need to hide. *hint hint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
Nice work
Thanks! There is plenty more to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303 View Post
Yeah - and QUICK too! Looking good.
john
I'm trying, but I'm no competition to you. Only reason updates are quick is because its the start of the semester. Work will come soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeknom View Post
Gogogo! Do cool things with it!
I will! I just need time and money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranc3 View Post
Looking good. i'd like to see some sort of overlay for that pcb on the top.
Just you wait, it will look good eventually.

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2009, 19:44   #22
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming SaiyanCheapskate is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Jeeze! I'd hate to hear your BAD news.

Harvest the fan and wires outta that b*tch before you toss it. Just be careful of the capacitor of death.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2009, 01:16   #23
tranc3
ADHD Modder

tranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mph View Post
Moral of the story: Raidmax PSU's can die easily.
Moral of the story: Raidmax PSU's are $30
Old 25th Sep 2009, 01:59   #24
500mph

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Jeeze! I'd hate to hear your BAD news.

Harvest the fan and wires outta that b*tch before you toss it. Just be careful of the capacitor of death.
I am going to get the fan out of it, it was the first one I modded. Also it is 140mm and will fit in the Corsair unit. And I am going to save the wires since they are modular, and make this PSU semi-modular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranc3 View Post
Moral of the story: Raidmax PSU's are $30
Minimum quality means MAXIMUM PROFIT. Enjoy my OCZ StealthXStream.

Old 25th Sep 2009, 02:12   #25
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I am going to get the fan out of it, it was the first one I modded. Also it is 140mm and will fit in the Corsair unit. And I am going to save the wires since they are modular, and make this PSU semi-modular.
/snip
You should figure out how to incorporate the PSU female end sockets for the modular connectors somewhere in the case where they are actually close to where they are used. The RF requires loooong wires anyway.
Old 27th Sep 2009, 09:30   #26
500mph

Bought myself a little present.

I'll just leave this grainy out of focus picture here. Until I take a better one.

The things I went through to get that to work

Old 27th Sep 2009, 11:36   #27
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What is that, Matrix Orbital? I need to figure out how to use one of those
Old 27th Sep 2009, 23:48   #28
500mph

Quote:
You should figure out how to incorporate the PSU female end sockets for the modular connectors somewhere in the case where they are actually close to where they are used. The RF requires loooong wires anyway.
You may be onto something. I need to do some planning.

Quote:
What is that, Matrix Orbital? I need to figure out how to use one of those
Yes it is, a MX223. Got it off of a friend for $25.
Since I am using 7 64bit, I had to run the "XP mode" virtualization to get it to properly work. It would install fine on 7, but I couldn't use any program for it.

Old 28th Sep 2009, 05:29   #29
tranc3
ADHD Modder

tranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltranc3 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like your having a good time out there in Az, you and jhanlon303, are giving me ideas for the Coolmaster you left me!
Old 28th Sep 2009, 05:29   #30
tranc3
ADHD Modder

Double post. lame.
Old 10th Oct 2009, 01:45   #31
500mph

Thought I would plan a little bit last night.
Started here.

Ended Here

You can figure out what this is for

Update by next Thursday.

Old 11th Oct 2009, 12:22   #32
500mph

Beggining of Stage 2

Old setup=taken apart

Finally get to use this

Rocketfeesh is soooo much bigger. And easier to work in too.

In use for a month and it gets dusty so fast. Even with a dust filter!

I am not too happy about this. I took the backplate off and turned it around so it wouldnt hit the stock backplate so we will see if that made a difference on the spread.

A few hours and a dinner later we have this! I miss having a modular psu. So many wires! The Rocketfeesh is much easier to work in, and feels nicer.

Pretty extended capture lights. It's not really this bright.

Modified the front door so my fans get plenty of air.

4 white fans in such a small case make it plenty bright.

There would have been a 2nd hard drive in there, but I broke the data connector on the older 80gig I have. I have another at home which some sectors failed on, so I am going to try to switch the boards.

Now that Rocketfeesh is empty, I can get to work on it! I need to go to the store first, I need some plexiglass, and maybe some alu angle. Might get some spraypaint too, but we will see how my budget works out.

Old 12th Oct 2009, 04:58   #33
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Excuse me for being a questioning old geek but could you not put the HDD(with an adapter) in one of the 6 optical bays (OK 3 left) and freed the front fans to blow completely into the case and across the hot bits?

/me running for cover

/edit
Never mind - that's not the RF case.

Last edited by jhanlon303; 12th Oct 2009 at 05:06.
jhanlon303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2009, 05:31   #34
stonedsurd

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
TOO much thermal paste. Ideally, all you need is a thin film of it on the IHS.
Old 12th Oct 2009, 06:45   #35
500mph

Quote:
Excuse me for being a questioning old geek but could you not put the HDD(with an adapter) in one of the 6 optical bays (OK 3 left) and freed the front fans to blow completely into the case and across the hot bits?

/me running for cover

/edit
Never mind - that's not the RF case.
Going to mod the RF case these next few days. I know what you are saying, but I would like a fan to cool my hdd's.

Quote:
TOO much thermal paste. Ideally, all you need is a thin film of it on the IHS.
But my heatsink has the gaps on the bottom because the heatsink pipes touch the cpu directly. shouldn't it squish the extra out? I'm getting 40c on a 4.2ghz overclock on idle, which does seem pretty decent. I may try putting on less paste nest time and seeing what happens.

Old 12th Oct 2009, 07:15   #36
stonedsurd

Quote:
But my heatsink has the gaps on the bottom because the heatsink pipes touch the cpu directly. shouldn't it squish the extra out? I'm getting 40c on a 4.2ghz overclock on idle, which does seem pretty decent. I may try putting on less paste nest time and seeing what happens.
Doesn't really make a difference. You always want as little paste as possible to inhibit direct metal-to-metal contact. It's only meant to 'fill' in the microscopic gaps between the IHS and the heatpipes/base.
Old 12th Oct 2009, 09:07   #37
500mph

Quote:
Doesn't really make a difference. You always want as little paste as possible to inhibit direct metal-to-metal contact. It's only meant to 'fill' in the microscopic gaps between the IHS and the heatpipes/base.
Alrighty, I'll do that next time and see what my results are. Thanks for the tip!
+rep

Old 12th Oct 2009, 09:31   #38
stonedsurd

No worries mate
Old 12th Oct 2009, 12:31   #39
boothy_1993
CPC refugee

boothy_1993 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i like this mod keep up the good work, will be following it :-)
boothy_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode