bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 19th Jan 2010, 00:41   #1
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
Cray-1

I had an idea to make a scale version of a truly remarkable computer, the Cray-1.

Here is the idea on paper. You'll notice it was designed to support two complete computers (mobo, psu, dvd, hdd, etc...)

Here is the lay out on plywood. I plan on covering the lower part with Naugehide, like the original, so the plywood won't show through. Also, it is lighter than MDF or solid wood.

Here are the roughed in lines

another shot

Here is a shot with the Mobo and placeholders laid out

Here are the cutouts.

top and bottom

here they are together with the spacers

Here is a shot with the vertical pieces in place, dry-fit together.

Here is a view from the back.

Pfaffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 00:43   #2
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
Sorry, wrong last pic.

Here is the back.

Old 19th Jan 2010, 00:49   #3
Shadow703793
Supermodder

Shadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice. Any chance of installing Acrylic windows so you can see the guts of the system?

Like this:

Also, do you plan to keep the original Cray -1 colors?
Shadow703793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 00:53   #4
Pfaffen
Supermodder

I was playing with the idea... may just do that.
Old 19th Jan 2010, 01:08   #5
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Sweet. Supercomputers used to be built with so much more soul back in the day, things like Jaguar now are nothing more than big server farms. I miss monsters like the Cray-2, that needed coolant that costs $300 a gallon and still had a waterfall of it just because it looked cool...
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 01:10   #6
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Why do you use multiple optical drives? A single USB-DVD would do it aswell, no?

Other then that, this is going to be huge

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 01:13   #7
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
very cool idea
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 04:06   #8
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Thee tower area just screams for radiators. *hint*
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 04:21   #9
shakka65
Multimodder

shakka65 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WOW! Super Computer Super huge.
I hope you have a Super large desk to put it on.
shakka65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 06:31   #10
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The cable management will be a problem since a Cray's wiring is measured in 0.01 mm and done with individual wires because of timing requirements. I interviewed with Seymour Cray in 1981. Brilliant engineer.
The insides:

/edit

Excellent idea by the way!
Old 19th Jan 2010, 15:24   #11
Shadow703793
Supermodder

Shadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadow703793 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^ Damn never knew that. Must have been a huge PITA to upgrade/fix.
Shadow703793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2010, 22:02   #12
Breach
Modding in Exile

Breach has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very cool! The Cray 1 is probably my all time favorite old time computer, this will look awesome sitting beside a desk.

And good start, it already looks the part
Old 19th Jan 2010, 23:07   #13
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Why do you use multiple optical drives? A single USB-DVD would do it aswell, no?

Other then that, this is going to be huge
I had planned on one dedicated for each system. Wasn't sure I could slave a USB-DVD between them.

The overall dimensions are roughly 35" across and 25" tall. I does take up a lot of space though. May have to make a special stand for it.
Old 19th Jan 2010, 23:08   #14
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Thee tower area just screams for radiators. *hint*
I know... I have been toying with the idea. There is soooo much space in there!
Old 19th Jan 2010, 23:16   #15
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303 View Post
The cable management will be a problem since a Cray's wiring is measured in 0.01 mm and done with individual wires because of timing requirements. I interviewed with Seymour Cray in 1981. Brilliant engineer.
The insides:

/edit

Excellent idea by the way!
Thank you very much. I am envious. You have met and interviewed a truly brilliant man. I researched alot for the project and found he (Mr. Cray) had hired women (seamstresses) if I'm not mistaken to handle the myraid of individual wires to minimize the distance travelled.

I hope I can do justice to such an extraordinary computer.
Old 19th Jan 2010, 23:20   #16
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Here is a shot of the back of the Cray at the Smithsonian in DC.

Old 20th Jan 2010, 00:25   #17
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I see your problem - it's the blue wire! - Field Engineer

Each of the early Cray computers were shipped with a dedicated Field Engineer( job they wanted me for). The engineer was hired when the order was placed and ONLY knew one box - his/hers.

The FE lived with the unit as it was being assembled, transported, installed, first boot, and turn over to customer. Serious money for serious dedication. Hardware and Unix software.
Old 20th Jan 2010, 02:52   #18
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
I see your problem - it's the blue wire! - Field Engineer

Each of the early Cray computers were shipped with a dedicated Field Engineer( job they wanted me for). The engineer was hired when the order was placed and ONLY knew one box - his/hers.

The FE lived with the unit as it was being assembled, transported, installed, first boot, and turn over to customer. Serious money for serious dedication. Hardware and Unix software.
Very cool little fact
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2010, 09:25   #19
confusis
Kiwi-modder

confusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysisconfusis can run Crysis
jhanlon303 - knows all, imparts wisdom in all he speaks to!
confusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2010, 16:24   #20
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:

Still done, with stuff like Radars.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode