bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 6th Jun 2010, 13:18   #81
oliverw92
Supermodder

oliverw92 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeloliverw92 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ok that is mad Reallly nice work!
oliverw92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 13:33   #82
soul_train
Multimodder

soul_train has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Ready guys?

Are you Kiding i'm not ready to see something so HOT like that you really wanna kill me! This will be something amazing that we will remember forever!

Keep it coming mate
soul_train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 13:46   #83
Pikey
Minimodder

Pikey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Jizz.
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 15:54   #84
Cleveland216
Carbon Fiber King

Cleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the DremelCleveland216 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice work! I went on AeroSpace Composites website and checked out how much one of these setups are for all the equipment needed, it is kind of costly, around $300.
Cleveland216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 16:05   #85
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
want!

shame it couldn't be a reversed mould due to having to have split lines.

This shall be epic, and Langer might have competition even if his new project gets off the ground.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 17:02   #86
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
There's the reason I will never touch this stuff. My OCD *ss would mix the epoxy until it was nearly cured.
There's no way I would get finished in the required time. Have you thought of getting an assistant, or would that make things worse.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 17:54   #87
shomann
Supermodder

shomann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
want!
I was thinking about this too purely from a finish perspective. Still, I am really looking forward to what this comes out looking like.
shomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 18:36   #88
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
There's the reason I will never touch this stuff. My OCD *ss would mix the epoxy until it was nearly cured.
There's no way I would get finished in the required time. Have you thought of getting an assistant, or would that make things worse.
I think a squirrel mixer is required here

Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 20:11   #89
shomann
Supermodder

Quote:
<snip>]
I swear I thought that was a joke until I watched the video. Cool.

Old 6th Jun 2010, 23:17   #90
murtoz
Busy procrastinating

murtoz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
I'd just like to say, IT'S ABOUT D*MN TIME!!!

-and I'm loving it already.
-but you shouldn't tease people for over a year. It can drive them to shoot Reagan or something...
QFT

I remember when you started the concept thread... to be honest I'd given up hope of ever seeing this turn into reality - not because I didn't think you would do it but because it was the only way to cope with the wait! ;-)

or in one short word: YAY!
murtoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 09:55   #91
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Come on its monday! Where is thy carbonic update?!?
Sheiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 14:00   #92
Von Lazuli
I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Von Lazuli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheiken View Post
In fact, it is almost Tuesday where I am... I want to know what is under the bag!

Er... I know that there is carbon fibre under the bag... but I want to see it!
Old 7th Jun 2010, 14:01   #93
Evenge
Hypermodder

Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It has begun! Fantastic work!
Old 7th Jun 2010, 14:52   #94
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreenname View Post
Looks like you did a great job with that Carbon Fiber.
Can't wait to see the CF off the mold.
Thanks! It will be a day or two before the CF comes off the mold, and then all the cutting begins. I don't think many realize it, but I've got to take 5cm off of each side of the case. It's currently oversized...

Quote:
Originally Posted by talladega View Post
oooh this is gonna be awesome!

i think you could probably prolong your working time by adding less hardener?
Thanks talladega. If I add less hardener, I run the risk of it not hardening correctly. I was better off just to finish it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustor View Post
That's amazing! How many layers of CF? Did you get any kind of seam where the layers overlap?
There are currently 5 layers of fiber. I'm going to be adding one more. That will get me just a hair over 2mm. I didn't overlap on the seams, I matched end to end. So, there are no visible ridges in the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13 View Post
*foaming at the mouth
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Way to go, taking it to the next level!
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Looking forward to more!
I appreciate it Danny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverw92 View Post
Ok that is mad Reallly nice work!
Haha, thanks Oliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_train View Post

Are you Kiding i'm not ready to see something so HOT like that you really wanna kill me! This will be something amazing that we will remember forever!

Keep it coming mate
Lol, thanks Carlos. I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Jizz.
Lol, nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland216 View Post
Nice work! I went on AeroSpace Composites website and checked out how much one of these setups are for all the equipment needed, it is kind of costly, around $300.
It does add up initially. However, if plan on getting some use out of it, then it may be worthwhile.

Quote:
want!

This shall be epic, and Langer might have competition even if his new project gets off the ground.
Having a traditional mold would have possible made for a better finished product, but would have driven me insane during the layering process.

I'm hoping for something pretty cool in the end, but I'll never be able to go with titanium like Jesse. The CF was at the upper limit of my material budget.

Quote:
Lol, I could see you stirring until the mixing stick just stopped moving. I'm not sure an assistant would help. I just needed to work faster. However, any parts I do after this point, will be much smaller in scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomann View Post
I was thinking about this too purely from a finish perspective. Still, I am really looking forward to what this comes out looking like.
Well, when I got home last night, I did unbag it, and honestly the results were a little mixed. The carbon fiber itself looked perfect, but the resin did not. It was thicker in some areas, and thinner in others. This was due to the resin hardening before I was ready. If I were to use it as is, I'd need some surface prep to make it look pretty, and I expected anyway. However, I will be adding one more layer of CF and not bagging that final layer, so things should look much better then.

Quote:
Lol, that thing is awesome! It would probably make foam out of the resin though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomann View Post
I swear I thought that was a joke until I watched the video. Cool.
Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murtoz View Post
QFT

I remember when you started the concept thread... to be honest I'd given up hope of ever seeing this turn into reality - not because I didn't think you would do it but because it was the only way to cope with the wait! ;-)

or in one short word: YAY!
You're not the only one who thought I'd never get it started. Now I'm committed... until I'm committed.

Quote:
Lol, I should specify... by the end of Monday, central standard time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Lazuli View Post
In fact, it is almost Tuesday where I am... I want to know what is under the bag!

Er... I know that there is carbon fibre under the bag... but I want to see it!
You guys from the future are killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenge View Post
It has begun! Fantastic work!
Thanks mate! I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13
'to cram everything in the box, you must think outside the box'
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 14:55   #95
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow, that may have been the biggest multi-quote response I've ever made. Lol. I'm currently at work, and will see what I can get done tonight. As I mentioned above, I'm not completely happy with the resin surface as it is. I'll be sanding it, and applying the last layer of CF. That should allow the case to be cosmetically perfect, and allow me to be happy when I look at it.

Quote:
Old 7th Jun 2010, 15:03   #96
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
What will this carbon goodness house?
Old 7th Jun 2010, 15:33   #97
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

Quote:
What will this carbon goodness house?
Wow, it would probably be easier to list what it doesn't include...

In a completely random order...

-Two 240.2 radiators and pump for watercooling
-matx motherboard w/ waterblocks on CPU, northbridge, and mosfets
-pair of Vapor-X 5780's
-Aquaero and multiswitch
-secondary pico-itx system
-full size psu
-2 full size hard drives, 2 laptop drives, 2 SSD's, and a blu-ray slotload drive
-wireless access point
-5 port ethernet hub
-side mounted LCD windows
-3rd computer system on front of the case via a Viliv UMPC.

Anyway, you get the idea.

Quote:
Old 7th Jun 2010, 15:51   #98
Sheiken
Wat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Wow, it would probably be easier to list what it doesn't include...

In a completely random order...

-Two 240.2 radiators and pump for watercooling
-matx motherboard w/ waterblocks on CPU, northbridge, and mosfets
-pair of Vapor-X 5780's
-Aquaero and multiswitch
-secondary pico-itx system
-full size psu
-2 full size hard drives, 2 laptop drives, 2 SSD's, and a blu-ray slotload drive
-wireless access point
-5 port ethernet hub
-side mounted LCD windows
-3rd computer system on front of the case via a Viliv UMPC.

Anyway, you get the idea.
My head is spinning!
Old 7th Jun 2010, 16:05   #99
shomann
Supermodder

Quote:
My head is spinning!
There is a video Craig prepared floating out there in the interwebz (I could linky, but I want you to earn it ) that details exactly what he has planned. It's insane - in a good way. If your head is spinning after a simple list of components, it will be full-on Exorcist time after you see it.

Personally, I think Craig is just trying to cement his position as overlord of the SFF community. And I am OK with that.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 16:26   #100
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet work so far Craig, it's looking awesome. I can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve.
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbon fiber, craigbru > skynet, losias, rick-roll, sff, skynet

View Mode