bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 13th Aug 2010, 21:53   #1
Gtek
Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
BETA

FINAL PICS
Hi everyone!

After a while, I'm back with another machine from scratch, project BETA. As a name may suggest, it's going to be a secondary PC. The plan is to put together very compact, microATX based computer, capable of most every day tasks including some gaming. Also, to save even more space, no watercooling in this one (sorry). In fact the target is to use only ONE big fan for whole case airflow(excluding cpu, vga, psu fans). But, with option of adding some extra fans if needed, as I aim to oveclock the system as well. We will see how that goes... As I've used aluminium as my primary building material for ages now, it's time to try something new. So here is the concept in short. Aluminium chassis and fibreglass body panels. Yes, it's the fibreglassing that is new to me and this is where I'm going to start. If I can manage this part, the rest should by ok, as I worked with aluminium a lot. The colour pattern will again be white and black, but probably with some extra spice, like green cabling or some other detail inside of the case.
No concept pictures of rendering at the beginnig, but the idea is a simple, but attractive design, and I'm sure you will catch the clues quickly if you will follow the work log.
Oh, and with this project I'm going to start a video log on youtube as well, and I'll be putting up and linking some videos of ongoing work every now and than, for some pure DIY action

So, lets get to work! For start I ordered some styrofoam to sculpture a model for 2 main fibreglass panels. Left and right one, both the same shape. And here is how it went so far:

time lapse video:

and some pics:

All the questions, comments, etc. are welcomed, and stay tuned for next update!

Last edited by Gtek; 31st May 2011 at 01:31.
Gtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2010, 22:26   #2
Remmes
Be One With Your Mod

Remmes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
got any sketches made about how and what?, i'd love to see those
Remmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2010, 22:36   #3
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very cool concept! I'll be watching man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13
'to cram everything in the box, you must think outside the box'
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2010, 22:38   #4
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmes View Post
He's got a little sneak peek sketched on the paper in the first pic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13
'to cram everything in the box, you must think outside the box'
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2010, 22:44   #5
Gtek

Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmes View Post
Hi, well you can spot one in the first photo, other than that, its just lots of numbers and some basic sketches about components layout, and some other details... nothing interesting. But I will post more photos and videos of every step in project with more detail explanation...
Old 13th Aug 2010, 22:47   #6
Gtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Very cool concept! I'll be watching man!
Hi, thanx! I'm watching yours as well, great job btw...
Old 15th Aug 2010, 13:22   #7
Gtek

Back with a first update.

Did some more work on the styrofoam model. Well I'm actually done with it. All I need to do is to apply a layer of bodyfiller and and sand it down to get a nice smooth surface, before actual fibreglassing process.
Chceck out new video and pics:

video:

pics.:

Last edited by Gtek; 21st Aug 2010 at 16:18.
Old 15th Aug 2010, 13:44   #8
Razarach
Multimodder

Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Razarach is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
nice work
Razarach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2010, 15:00   #9
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Cool, got me interested in seeing this unfold .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2010, 15:06   #10
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
Curvy is always sexy, I'll be following along for sure..
Old 15th Aug 2010, 18:27   #11
Gtek

Thanx guys, hope you will like it...
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:16   #12
devilxc
Biding my time...

devilxc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice curves... looking forward to this build.
devilxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 11:22   #13
Throbbi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Throbbi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The shape of those really curves really reminds me of the turrets in portal.

Subbed and waiting for updates
Worklog - The Amputer!
Throbbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 16:38   #14
Gtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throbbi View Post
The shape of those really curves really reminds me of the turrets in portal.

Subbed and waiting for updates
Thanx! new upadate very soon...
Old 18th Aug 2010, 07:54   #15
Gtek

So, after a couple of layers of body filler and lots of sanding, its finished. Everything looks just fine so far. Surface is nice and smooth, edges sharp... Its all ready for fibreglassing i guess.

video

Last edited by Gtek; 21st Aug 2010 at 16:19.
Old 18th Aug 2010, 18:51   #16
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
I like the shape. -'specially the 'not a box' part of it. This should be cool.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 09:36   #17
Gtek

yes 'not a box' was a very first idea...
Old 19th Aug 2010, 10:17   #18
rambo
Multimodder

rambo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice looking concept cant wait to see the fibreglass.
rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2010, 19:59   #19
Gtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Very nice looking concept cant wait to see the fibreglass.
thanx, I just finished some work on fibreglasssing. These styrene fumes are...

next update tomorrow...
Old 21st Aug 2010, 15:06   #20
Gtek

Ok, so with a short delay, but here is the fibreglassing update.

I waxed the plug with a couple of layers of mould release wax, and after an hour or so starded the mess. I prepared lots of smaller sheets of fibreglass matting and polyester resin. Once resin mixed with hardener its kinda race with time, as it turns into gel pretty quickly, depends on ratio. I laid just like 3-4 layers of this matting as its thick. I've also got a nice fine woven sheet, but I will use that one for the actual part not for the mould...
And the best bit at the end. For some reason, I simply forgot to take photos of the whole process.
... but I've got the video:

Last edited by Gtek; 21st Aug 2010 at 16:15.

View Mode