bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 25th Jan 2012, 20:13   #1
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
'New' build, UFO^3 **PSU sleeving**

(im posting this 'early', copying bits from another forum and co-updating here, but had planned on waiting till i got the new stuff together, ill throw in little "bt edits" to bring you guys up to speed)

The switch over i did a year and a half ago left me with 'buyers remorse' of sorts. I actually miss the UFO format, the smallness and openness it gave with being able to view the mobo etc etc etc. I thought using the tower format would allow me to stuff more stuff in, but it really just bound up my creative juices and really just didnt turn out how i envisioned it. After 4 builds, i think im to the level that i can attempt this and have it turn out really nice.

Since this is the 3rd year ive had the mobo, 3rd build using these components, i have decided the name will be UFO^3 (cubed). I will be upgrading some parts finally, for a performance gain even though i dont really 'need' it, i think its time to put some muscle into this build.

Plans:

CPU: Phenom X4 Black Edition. There are a few tasty AM2+ chips on eBay right now, and with a BIOS upgrade, i can supposedly run even a 965 on my AM2/AM2+ mobo according to DFI. (bt edit: im going with Gigabyte UD5/FX-6100 now)

Mobo: Got some slick things planned to freshen up the color theme.

Vid Card: Sapphire 4870 or 4890. Yes i know its old/disco'd but i dont 'game' much and dont plan on buying anything that would tax it. Hell my 3850 still kicks ass and Command & Conquer 3/RA3, LOTR B4ME and Hitman Blood Money all play on max settings without a hiccup. (bt edit: i have dual 4890OC versions)

Drives: I cant afford anything SSD, and really dont want to, but figured i would do something you really dont see. Three 7400rpm laptop drives in RAID. Im pretty much set on getting by with 250G's but may step up to 360's depending on the cost and funds available when im shopping, im running 74G free on my 250G system drive after 3 years. Im sourcing some copper plate to make a custom 'U' bracket that i can mount all 3 in with thermal pad stuck to a copper plate shelf in between them, that i can then mount the extra Swiftech MCW60 to which i picked up when Xox was closing. I figure these wont get very hot, and this wont cool very much, but itll fit with the rest of the components. (bt edit: using 3 RaptorX's in RAID 5)

PSU: Still gonna use the Antec 850W, but will sleeve every wire like i did in Blue on Black, but go all the way into the case, not step it. Im doing this because its a clear case and i want everything as close to perfect as possible.

Case: Sunbeam UFO (again) but this time im going black and blue themed, over done i know, but i got tired of UV and yellow. I will be using at least 1 UV CCFL, if not two 4" ones for accents. Main lighting with be the NZXT presleeved LED kit. (bt edit: in the line of "modding every component in this build" nothing will remain stock, im building my own lighting)

Cooling: Water still, new rad, res and tubing. Will all be internal, no components outside, no extra holes in the walls/top/bottom (save for rad intake), but mobo tray will be altered to allow tubing to pass through. At least this is the plan. I dont have a spare 240 rad to check to see if it will fit next to the PSU in the bowels of the UFO case, but i think it will. (bt edit: not sure if im using dual 480's or something else to come later )

All said and done the parts will cost about roughly $650.

Ok, build pics starting here

Redid the floppy cable because there wasnt enough length between the ends to reach both, turned out a LOT better (bt edit: this cable wont be used, and doesnt show the shrinkless way i came up with.

First of the neon yellow to be removed from a few select components that will be carried over. Even though this is black and blue themed, ill be using at least one 12" UV CCFL, and maybe two 4" ones

I liked the way the wire twisted when i did it underneath the yellow sleeve, so i simulated it with the black. Remember, every wire will be individually sleeved, at least as much as possible, i wont sleeve thin wires like temp sensor or LED header wires. Now that ive seen the pics, i realize that the tube looks burned, but its not, its the incandescent light overhead lol

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums

Last edited by Furball Zen; 19th Feb 2012 at 18:21.
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2012, 04:18   #2
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis

Yes, on to more of what this thread is for!

Ok. Wow. MAJOR buyers remorse over the XFX card. Not that i dont trust the guy i got it from, it was just more beat up than i would like. Plus i didnt realize till after i got it and tried to put the MCW60-4870 water block on it that the board wasnt reference design. Seems XFX has a knack for doing that, so the cooler wouldnt quite fit it as well as id like.

Well cruising on eBay last week i spotted a pair of Sapphire 4890 OC Editions, $90 BIN + shipping. Wish i could have sprung for both, but i really know this card will be over kill for pretty much anything i have now or would buy.

So pics ye say?

Thing looks brand new

Even with her clothes off she looks clean, just a little dust and factory TIM

Less than 2 mins to clean

As you can see, ive been going crazy with the 3M CF Di-Noc lol, and i plan on using a lot of it in this build

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

Old 30th Jan 2012, 02:19   #3
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

1 star? Really? Thanks i guess....why not just say you dont want me posting it?

Old 30th Jan 2012, 02:29   #4
Gentleman_Dingo
Supermodder

Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.
Lol, One star and you've only just begun! I just noticed I have all of 2 stars and 10,000 views into my build.

Any visuals or pictures of the plans?
Gentleman_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2012, 02:45   #5
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

No, but here the hardware

Old 2nd Feb 2012, 06:05   #6
Starsunder
What's a Dremel?

Starsunder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can't see the pics, so thats probably why its not voted too high yet
Starsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 10:10   #7
uerseya
Covered in rockwool dust.

uerseya has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsunder View Post
Likewise, no pic's unfortunately
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 10:39   #8
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
All picture links appear to be broken.

You should either find a better image host or see if you've gone past your bandwidth allocation for the images.
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 10:41   #9
yassarikhan786
Ultramodder(Not)

yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.yassarikhan786 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Use photobucket mate.
|| Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 580 Super OC || Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB || SSD: Corsair Force 3 120GB || HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v || Keyboard: Logitech G510 || Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
yassarikhan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 11:16   #10
mars-bar-man
Side bewb.

mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.mars-bar-man is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post
1 star? Really? Thanks i guess....why not just say you dont want me posting it?
Seriously? The fact all your images are broken doesn't help much. You can't expect a mod you've just started on to get 5 stars. It'll take time.
Old 2nd Feb 2012, 14:09   #11
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsunder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uerseya View Post
Likewise, no pic's unfortunately
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ZiiP] NaloaC View Post
All picture links appear to be broken.

You should either find a better image host or see if you've gone past your bandwidth allocation for the images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yassarikhan786 View Post
Use photobucket mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars-bar-man View Post
Seriously? The fact all your images are broken doesn't help much. You can't expect a mod you've just started on to get 5 stars. It'll take time.
Sigh.... no thats not why someone gave me one star. Right now im switching server programs and im in the process of moving all the data from the old program to the new one.

Old 2nd Feb 2012, 18:18   #12
Tribble
Steals Avatars

Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post
Sigh.... no thats not why someone gave me one star. Right now im switching server programs and im in the process of moving all the data from the old program to the new one.
I have faith, rated
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 05:43   #13
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

There i temporarily put the pics back up till i get everything moved over.

Old 3rd Feb 2012, 11:28   #14
Vetalar
*learning english*

Vetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what is under plexi backplate on GFX? is this som packing foam? doesn't it alter temps?
Vetalar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 11:53   #15
benji2412
Has an Avatar avatar

benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.
I think the one star rating is harsh, but I think this is why you've got it:

You've not really shown anything, all you've done is shown some cable braiding. Grats on deciding to share your mod with us, I like looking at peoples mods. But please show some renders/plans for the project and perhaps re-size the pictures? Putting up what you have so far doesn't really constitute a 'mod', but either way I'll look forward to seeing your progress
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 16:16   #16
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
what is under plexi backplate on GFX? is this som packing foam? doesn't it alter temps?
No, i think this will explain it a bit better

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=224817

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji2412 View Post
I think the one star rating is harsh, but I think this is why you've got it:

You've not really shown anything, all you've done is shown some cable braiding. Grats on deciding to share your mod with us, I like looking at peoples mods. But please show some renders/plans for the project and perhaps re-size the pictures? Putting up what you have so far doesn't really constitute a 'mod', but either way I'll look forward to seeing your progress
Well i dont have a render because its all in my head, and constantly changing, but i finally got my PSU freed up so i can start working on the custom length 24 pin, hopefully tonight.

Old 3rd Feb 2012, 16:40   #17
slipperyskip
Decade Club

slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Why don't you take our advice and re-size your photos? In your other thread you called everyone "whiners" for giving the same advice for the same problem. It loads fast for you probably because the pics are in your buffer.
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 19:27   #18
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperyskip View Post
Why don't you take our advice and re-size your photos? In your other thread you called everyone "whiners" for giving the same advice for the same problem. It loads fast for you probably because the pics are in your buffer.
I cant at work, and i understand what you are saying, but other people post pics that size and i never see anyone say anything about it. I can reduce the file size some more too, but the main problam is WAMP cant handle all of the requests anymore, which is the main reason its slow and im switching back to Miniportal Server. Hopefully i can get the server issue sorted over the weekend and ill see how that improves it.

Old 3rd Feb 2012, 23:15   #19
benji2412
Has an Avatar avatar

benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd just use photobucket as mentioned before in that case, I'll be back when they're rescaled.
Old 3rd Feb 2012, 23:18   #20
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Jesus those pictures are big!
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode