bit-tech.net

Old 13th Feb 2012, 12:44   #1
cerbrus2
Banned

cerbrus2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What was the point in that

Sorry. Wile I can say that i like Mock the week and the IT crowd, I fined it absolutly pointless having a page wasted in the magazine by Robert Florence Spouting off.........well nothing.

Thats one page that could of been for something half decent, but instead had someone saying how they are clueless when it comes to PC' yeah great article for a custom PC magazine. Thats the sort of article that made me stop buying the likes of PC gamer and PC format.

If the magazine is going the way of paying writers to just Write complete and utter dribble, then I will say goodbye to the subscription. And no amount of 99p store tool kits will get me to resubscribe again.

cerbrus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 21:26   #2
TheDarkSide
Modder

TheDarkSide has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Okay, so it's not informative and won't give you any insight into the wonders of your pc, but it was refreshing light humour and quite funny. it's just one page, I don't think it was a crime.
TheDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 22:20   #3
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
Is the new edition worth buying?
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2012, 23:51   #4
cerbrus2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight View Post
The main reviews are PC cases. And then their is a section on how to build a PC that can play Skyrim For 350.
Old 13th Feb 2012, 23:56   #5
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
So no! :P
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2012, 09:05   #6
Spreadie
Knows the way of the Dremel

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out - I only managed a 20 minute skim read yesterday, before having to deal with a minor emergency, but I didn't exactly get a lightning bolt buzz as I flicked through the pages. Still, early days; and there's no point jumping off the deep-end until we see how it all develops.

The extended modding section is welcome, and I like that it isn't just restricted to Dremelling a case; so the Win7 USB install guide was a welcome addition - it wasn't news to me, but I applaud the inclusion and look forward to further tips and tricks.

The article on Graphene was interesting, and a section I really do look forward to reading - I did wonder about the applications of it when Geim and Novoselov got the Nobel Prize for Physics. Something like this could definitely keep me hooked into the mag.

I only skimmed over the labs section and haven't read the columns from all of the new contributors, so I'll reserve final judgement until then, but I think the changes could be a marmite issue. I don't think there's any doubt the mag needed to change however, I'm not sure whether it will be received as too much of a change.

2500K|Gene-Z|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2012, 10:19   #7
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd be interested to know what you all thought about the games coverage - including the two-page interview at the front of the issue and which I'm doing more of in the future.

There's only the one page on the technical analysis stuff for Dear Esther, so I know it's early days, but I'm already working on future issues and there is going to be a lot more graphics comparison, etc. There's two big ones coming in 104, for example!
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2012, 20:49   #8
Spreadie
Knows the way of the Dremel

Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.Spreadie is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe View Post
I'd be interested to know what you all thought about the games coverage - including the two-page interview at the front of the issue and which I'm doing more of in the future.

There's only the one page on the technical analysis stuff for Dear Esther, so I know it's early days, but I'm already working on future issues and there is going to be a lot more graphics comparison, etc. There's two big ones coming in 104, for example!
I like the Dear Esther review in the mag, and the separate graphical comparison section with comments from the creators. I appreciate it isn't difficult to spot the difference between the HL2 mod and the game, but you'll need a bigger spread and larger pics if you plan to show graphics comparisons on varying hardware on more demanding titles; if that is one of your aims.

Not a moan, just an opinion.

For me, the new style is much better and the contrast between Just Esther and the other reviews is stark. I'd like to see more.

2500K|Gene-Z|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2012, 20:56   #9
cerbrus2
Banned

i liled the dear esther reciew. the games section is great. would be nice to here a bit more about the new unreal 4 engine. as i have been watching some vids of it and it looks stunning. dont know if you can grab any more details on that for the gaming section.
Old 15th Feb 2012, 02:22   #10
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:

The graphic's comparisons are a great idea but it's ultimately lost due to the size of the pics. even when using the web I find I have to full screen them before I get a decent idea of the difference. I realise this would be impossible in a magazine but maybe there is a middleground?
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX670 DirectCU II 2GB @1202 & 6980 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - LG Flatron W2252TQ - Razer Deathadder - Thermaltake Contac 29.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2012, 17:49   #11
Jampotp
dem spacers are well phat init blud

Jampotp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight View Post
Yes! It's much better!

The new editor has fixed things which I noticed that I found annoying... such as the repeated articles and news, and also things which I hadn't noticed that I found annoying... such as the seemingly random selection of stand-alone reviews.

Most of the new opinion/column sections by the new authors are very interesting, and I'm particularly looking forward to reading the section by the astrophysicist (Quantum Computing )

I'm fairly sure some of the articles in the modding section at the back are repeats from previous magazines or Bit-tech, but hopefully this will be fixed in the next issues (maybe they ran out of time?).
Jampotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2012, 17:33   #12
Fizzban
Reformed Grumpy Sod..kinda

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Yeah that last page was a waste. Just some bloke going about how useless he is with PC's and trying (failing) to be funny. Have to wait and see if his contribution improves. As a first impression.. it was bad.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:43   #13
varkanoid
Professional Dribbler

varkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerbrus2 View Post
Sorry. Wile I can say that i like Mock the week and the IT crowd, I fined it absolutly pointless having a page wasted in the magazine by Robert Florence Spouting off.........well nothing.

:
Did he just write one episode ? I thought Graham Linehan wrote it ? Shame about series 5 not being produced.

I thought the article was filler fodder too.
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:46   #14
varkanoid
Professional Dribbler

varkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysisvarkanoid can run Crysis
Quote:

I thought the game coverage was excellent and better than the other features and normal hardware stuff. The PC case reviews were a yawn. Also I`m sure you have already done the fan blow hole before.

Also thought the new pages by new people were too much like PC Pro's yawnathon. Can't remember that woman's name but her piece on violence in video games causing increased aggression didnt add
anything new to the debate and was boring.

Now excuse me whilst I going and scrape my mouse off the garage roof after playing Saints Row 3.
Old 28th Jun 2012, 12:32   #15
MagR
Minimodder

MagR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd disagree if it were just one page but a whole bunch of superfluous stuff seems to have crept in too.
MagR is offline   Reply With Quote