bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 8th Apr 2012, 14:40   #1
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
best OS for me

Hey everyone. Recently, due to lack of use, I decided I want to repurposed my desktop pc as a file server. I started experimenting with amachi but am starting to think it isn't the best or most simplest solution. Atm I currently have 3.35TB of disks in it and will be expanding this in the coming weeks or months depending on prices.

Currently at home I have an xp machine, my laptop, a netbook,my brothers laptop and a couple of phones that I would like to have a central location for storage and access. I would also like to be able to set up home email and calander and hopefully be able to sync with an android device (default calander sucks and doesn't play nice when adding dates with three calanders feeding into it.

basically what is the best OS for the job? Ive been playing about with hamachi but with windows home server being so cheap wouldn't it be an easier and more equiped solution? any advice and explaining the advantages between each would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2012, 16:35   #2
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you are a student, at a school that is registered at MSDNAA, then you have the full and latest Windows Server version waiting for you.

If not, you have Linux and as you mentioned Windows Home Server. I haven't touch either, but I would guess that if your are in a Windows environment at home, I would go with Windows Home Server, especially that it is so cheap (much cheaper than normal Windows too).

What I like about Windows, is that you know it will be easy to use, and won't have to fiddle with command line and stuff.

Here is an overview Windows Home Server:

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB

Last edited by GoodBytes; 8th Apr 2012 at 16:44.
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2012, 19:02   #3
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
If you are a student, at a school that is registered at MSDNAA, then you have the full and latest Windows Server version waiting for you.

If not, you have Linux and as you mentioned Windows Home Server. I haven't touch either, but I would guess that if your are in a Windows environment at home, I would go with Windows Home Server, especially that it is so cheap (much cheaper than normal Windows too).

What I like about Windows, is that you know it will be easy to use, and won't have to fiddle with command line and stuff.

Here is an overview Windows Home Server:
I complete forgot about the MSDNAA Guess that solves it. cheers goodbytes
Old 8th Apr 2012, 19:39   #4
Votick
My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Votick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman View Post
I complete forgot about the MSDNAA Guess that solves it. cheers goodbytes
However I believe those licenses are for personal use/testing.
Once your MSDNAA is expired then you will need to replace the key or install a new OS.

http://stats.bish.pro/
Votick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2012, 20:06   #5
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
They are for academic purposes, so using it in a home network to simulate a small business setup would be okay

and they never expire :P
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2012, 20:16   #6
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd use arch Linux.

But that is just me.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2012, 21:24   #7
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The license for Student of Windows and all software available is that you can use it for educational purposes or home. Not business. javaman has nothing to worry about, unless he lunches a web site which sales something, or run a business.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 8th Apr 2012, 22:15   #8
javaman
May irritate Eyes

Check the website and they have server 2008 in many flavours and forms. Trying to decide is there any advantage or point to going to anything above standard apart from the fact I can.

As far as Im aware it is a permanent licence, tho I'm looking at T&C's just to confirm.

If I want email I should also be looking to get exchange?
Old 8th Apr 2012, 22:24   #9
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
license technically expires when your education has ended
Old 8th Apr 2012, 22:39   #10
javaman
May irritate Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
license technically expires when your education has ended
I can't find anywhere that confirms or deny's this. I'll continue digging
Old 8th Apr 2012, 22:50   #11
lp rob1
PAM says no...

lp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyanlp rob1 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
Gah! How many times - it is not only Windows that has fancy GUI tools to do all the configuration for you! Take Samba for example. A simple 4 clicks away on Ubuntu (open, select, click install, verify) to install, then right click on a folder and share! In fact, the install process might be even easier as the right click menu warns if Samba is not installed!
/rant

But seriously, stop treating Linux like a tool for ultra-h4x0rs, it's not. It used to be, but now most common distributions actually move the user away from the terminal. In fact, Ubuntu is even limiting customization in the attempt to cater for the 'average' user.

EDIT: Oh yes, and actually replying to the OP:
I would just install Ubuntu, then install Samba, and share from that. See above in the rant for details
Old 8th Apr 2012, 22:54   #12
javaman
May irritate Eyes

Found it after I clicked proceed to checkout

Quote:
b. End of Student Status. If you no longer qualify for the Student Subscription (by failing to meet the definition of "you" above), then your Student Subscription will terminate; however, you may continue to use the software you obtained prior to termination of your student status subject to the terms of this agreement.
Old 8th Apr 2012, 23:24   #13
GoodBytes

Yea, I don't think the product key ACTUAL expires. I will be surprised if it does.
Just you won't get access to MSDNAA. Some software like Visual Studio (all editions), which cost 2-3x the price of Windows, don't even have a product key for the MSDNAA version.

Old 10th Apr 2012, 07:58   #14
Votick
My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Votick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming SaiyanVotick is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'd better start hording keys off my accounts then LOL

http://stats.bish.pro/
Votick is offline   Reply With Quote