bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

View Poll Results: Windows 8: what is your opinion?
Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so. 59 42.14%
Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer. 34 24.29%
It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro. 47 33.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th Apr 2012, 05:58   #381
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I have found something interesting. When you press Enter on the Start screen, and you have nothing selected (like when you start to it) it picks the first item. So if you put your web browser or desktop, when you log-in hit the Enter key will open it. A quick way to start things.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2012, 16:44   #382
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
All in one wizard

What you download is a download manager, which will give you a product key, and download ISO file. It will also check your currently install software and inform you about potential compatibility issues. At the end of the download, it will also ask you if you want to burn the ISO to disk, or use a USB key (4GB of more) instead.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

Just the ISO, Please (and product key)

If you just want to download ISO file, so that you can use your own download manager:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/iso
(Product key is under the download links)

Here is how to burn an ISO to disk, using Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...om-an-ISO-file

Here is Microsoft ISO to USB (or DVD) tool (free):
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
Once Windows 8 is installed, I strongly suggest to install .NET Framework 3.5:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21
As many driver control panel, and software uses it and it's not in Windows 8 Consumer Preview. The software is suppose to detect that you don't have the needed .NET file and install them, but most programs don't. So do it manually, it will solve a lot of problems for you, and pretty make sure that all your software and select panels from drivers (if any), works.
Windows 8 comes with .NET 4.0
Thanks for that. Found out my HDD hasn't gone. One of the connectors won't work now, so will need to fix it when I get around to it. So I currently can get in Windows, but all my stuff is on the other drive lol.
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2012, 16:52   #383
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
Thanks for that. Found out my HDD hasn't gone. One of the connectors won't work now, so will need to fix it when I get around to it. So I currently can get in Windows, but all my stuff is on the other drive lol.
That is why I recommend creating a dual partition on an HDD. One for Windows and only Windows, and the other for everything else (files, programs, etc...). This way if you need to re-install Windows, no backup needed, or a headache like what you have now.
The idea of having Windows separate from the programs, is:
- Most software, don't need to be installed. The installer is simply a zip extractor, so in the case you are in a situation where you need to do some work, and you system crashed and needs re-install. You only have to re-install the essential, and the rest will work fin, giving you time to re-install them after when you have time.

- If you have a lot of software, it's your software list, so you won't forget one. Meaning if it comes to a moment where you need a software, well it's there you didn't forget to install it.

- Lastly, It keeps the Windows partition (C:\) small, so that the partition effect doesn't really bother you.

Anyway you have 2 ways to fix it. Get a Linux Live CD, and recover your data that way. Or get a partitioning software for Linux or it's own bootable software, which you can create a partition the drive, to transfer your data. If it's too small for all your data, you will need to transfer a bit, expend the partition, transfer and expend... time consuming.. might be faster to go to the store and get DVD's, to burn your stuff, or get an external HDD (if you don't have one already) preferably on eSATA so that it doesn't take ages (or plug an internal HDD inside your system), to recover your data that way.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 17th Apr 2012, 01:50   #384
GoodBytes

Official Windows 8 editions:
-> Windows RT (ARM tablet, will NOT be sold in stores. OEM only.. and it could be trusted OEM only. We have to see)

-> Windows 8
-> Windows 8 Pro
-> and, Windows 8 Enterprise (for volume license of Win8).

So basically at the store you have 2 editions:
-> Windows 8, and Windows 8 Pro No more Ultimate edition.

HOWEVER, Windows Media Center will be gone. It will be a "Plus" edition add-on. No details if it's for the Pro only or not. This concerns me, as I don't know if that would mean no more DVD playback, like Vista Business, we have to wait and see.

Also, Windows 8 RT won't have the enterprise feature normally found on Professional editions of Windows. And as expected Windows 8 RT (for ARM), desktop mode will be locked down, for only Office that will come with it, and I expect also file management. All Apps are Metro.

Office 15 will only come with Windows RT.

Feature comparison:

Source: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...-editions.aspx

What is REALLY cool, is that Windows 8 edition, is really feature complete.

Last edited by GoodBytes; 17th Apr 2012 at 02:06.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 10:00   #385
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Which version allows for the removal of SS?
Old 17th Apr 2012, 14:11   #386
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
Greetings!

Which version allows for the removal of SS?
None. And expect to see it in Windows 9.

Old 17th Apr 2012, 14:29   #387
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
there may be an option to turn it off/tone it down... but they're hardly going to list it is a major feature/selling point... especially as the whole metro thing is the main thing MS are pushing about w8

interesting that the RT version comes with office bundled with it... wonder how long it is before the EU and/or apple start whining about that...

RedFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 14:46   #388
bluespider42
Supermodder

bluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
interesting that the RT version comes with office bundled with it... wonder how long it is before the EU and/or apple start whining about that...
Not sure they can really, MS doesn't have a monopoly and I can't see it being any different to iOS/Android tablets with 'free' apps built in.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 15:11   #389
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
None. And expect to see it in Windows 9.
There is SP1 before that...
Old 17th Apr 2012, 21:30   #390
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
wonder how long it is before the EU and/or apple start whining about that...
if I ran microsoft, and the eu moaned at me about office being preinstalled on an arm device, i would just say, ok, no arm devices for eu
Old 18th Apr 2012, 00:50   #391
GoodBytes

Windows 8 will still have a 32-bit version, you can hear that this is what he uses on the Microsoft Windows 8 Blog latest post on memory management of Metro Apps.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...tyle-apps.aspx

Old 18th Apr 2012, 01:59   #392
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
if I ran microsoft, and the eu moaned at me about office being preinstalled on an arm device, i would just say, ok, no arm devices for eu
Old 18th Apr 2012, 02:01   #393
GoodBytes

Microsoft will say "Choose EU, Office or Windows Media Player?"
If they choose Windows Media Player: Office will be renamed for Europe, "Windows Media Player" and can play videos now.

Old 24th Apr 2012, 11:28   #394
Brooxy
Like a boss (but not a boss)

Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.
Finally took the plunge last night and installed the latest freely available build of Windows 8 to a VM image on my laptop.

I've got to admit, I like what Microsoft are trying to do, although the execution is a little untidy at the moment. My main gripe is that it seems you have two places to change settings - the Control Panel that we all know and love, with the new addition of the settings menu from the right hand sidebar.

The thing that does impress me is how smoothly it's running - especially as it's running on a budget laptop via VMWare Player. I'll try putting a few programs on there tonight and seeing how it handles them.
Brooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 13:41   #395
GoodBytes

I agree with you, but hopefully it's just Beta dust, and that there will be 2 places to access the same settings. So for example, poping the old trust Control Panel, will have the option of the Metro Control Panel in it.

Don't go to crazy about installing stuff. Release Candidate is expected to be on the first week of June, based on a Microsoft tweet.

Old 24th Apr 2012, 14:09   #396
Brooxy
Like a boss (but not a boss)

Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.Brooxy is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Don't go to crazy about installing stuff. Release Candidate is expected to be on the first week of June, based on a Microsoft tweet.
Thanks for the heads up. As it's a VMWare image that I'm running, I can move any work back to the host OS without much issue and create a new VM when RC1 comes out. Is there any indication what MS have changed beween CP and RC1?
Brooxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 14:27   #397
GoodBytes

Not at the moment.

Old 24th Apr 2012, 14:41   #398
Scroome
Hypermodder

Scroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I've been running off this for a couple weeks now. I must say I find it a little odd.

There's this new shiny start screen, but then the trusty norm behind it. I thought the new screen was novel at first, but now I hardly use it. I keep using the desktop display.
Scroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 14:48   #399
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroome View Post
I've been running off this for a couple weeks now. I must say I find it a little odd.

There's this new shiny start screen, but then the trusty norm behind it. I thought the new screen was novel at first, but now I hardly use it. I keep using the desktop display.
Did you try creating groups, and your most programs and folder on it? Makes it much better.

Old 24th Apr 2012, 15:07   #400
Scroome
Hypermodder

Scroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming SaiyanScroome is a Super Spamming Saiyan
No I hadn't. Thanks for the tip.!

I'll give it a go tonight.
Scroome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arghhhh, consumer preview, for the win.. dows 8, marmite, win 7 > win 8, win 8 > win 7, windows 8, windows 8 arm, windows 8 beta, windows 8 drivers, windows 8 preview