bit-tech.net

Old 16th Apr 2012, 10:07   #1
iajo
Modder

iajo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
home security.

I moved house six months ago and it needed a fair amount of work which is now nearing completion. Last night a large blue planted pot that was next to the front door was stolen. It wasnt expensive so not too much of a problem but it made me realise that i have been far too relaxed with security. The area is a fairly nice cul de sac but the wider area is known to have a fair bit of crime so i'm seeing this as a wakeup call.

Can anyone reccomend a system both internal and/or external alarm, security lights and is a camera overkill?
iajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 17:00   #2
Fishlock
.o0o.

Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Fishlock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This is solely dependant on your budget. Often a fake alarm box with a flashing light is a good enough deterrent, although it won't stop anyone nicking your pots... A security light would definitely be a good idea, at both the front and back of the house. Don't go and buy a cheap 5 one though, they're generally unreliable.

As for cameras, unless you want to put something ugly and very overt on the front of your house, discreet cameras are only going to help try and find out who is doing it, not prevent it happening. None of this is overkill and is becoming more and more common place in houses now.
Fishlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 17:21   #3
TaRkA DaHl
I *am* a Dremel

TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.TaRkA DaHl is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Decent NAS box such as a Synology setup with IP Cameras will record any motion over several cameras. Can be setup to perform incremental deletes after a week or two to avoid wasting disk space.

You can also get exterior security lights that use 60W efficient bulbs rather than the 500W standard bulbs, saves a lot of power if they are on for quite a while. Also get to maximum brightness pretty fast. Personally I use 120W 'low' power bulbs in my lights, work fine in my area.
TaRkA DaHl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2012, 11:58   #4
t4n6o
You know when you've been tangoed

t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.t4n6o is definitely a rep cheat.
For me i would have to say this lol

but on a serious note probably a cctv system would be best, and if you can afford it one that also records sounds

also an old boss had some of these around his house

its a normal flood light with a built in camera which takes a photo every so many seconds when the PIR/motion sensor sensor detects movement which records the images to an SD card

hope this is of any help
Old 19th Apr 2012, 12:25   #5
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
For value and features, you could do a lot worse than this.

View Mode