bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Apr 2012, 09:58   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sharp goes IGZO for new high-res panels

Sharp has taken the wraps off its first IGZO-based panels

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-igzo-panels/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 11:26   #2
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
So it begins.. MOAR PIXELS!
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 12:01   #3
streetuk
Multimodder

streetuk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Someone please tell me my new Dell U2711 is still impressive....not that I need the latest tech or anything.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
streetuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 13:35   #4
Platinum
Multimodder

Platinum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Give me a 24" retina display monitor for my PC!
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 14:27   #5
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You mean you want a 2k 24inch IPS panel? Please don't be taken in by apple marketing talk. Retina just stand for hi-res IPS panels which some of us have had long before the iPad
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 15:16   #6
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
This is a lot more interesting for laptops and phones and stuff than it is for desktop displays.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 15:40   #7
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
interesting how indium, gallium, and zinc are all related and used in the same product. i wonder why they need all 3? indium is somewhat expensive.
Old 16th Apr 2012, 15:51   #8
Scorpuk
Supermodder

Scorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run CrysisScorpuk can run Crysis
I guess if there was no Indium then we would have had the GZ display, or called GaZo. IGZO sounds a bit better. :-)

Folding Summary
Desktop: Corsair Carbide 400R; Asus Sabertooth X79; Intel i7-3930K; Hydro H100; 2 x XFX HD7970's; 16GB DDR3 1600MHz; Corsair HX850W; Samsung 256GB 840 Pro; 2TB HDD; Windows 7 Ult. 64bit.
Scorpuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 17:47   #9
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.
I knew we would be getting these Ultra High res monitors soon! Now we are going to need 10GB VRAM GFX cards to run them.

Even with a Screen size of 60" the sharpness at 2ft away is going to be awesome, and as good as a 6x screen eyefinity setup!
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2012, 22:35   #10
pingu666
Supermodder

pingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
the "retina" thing refers to the pixel density, and in those terms very few displays in that area
and yes we had high res ips panels for ages, but they where 27-30inch, and not 10~inch
pingu666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 01:35   #11
west
Minimodder

west has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@schmidtbag
because they are elements found all over the place and are used for all kinds of electronic components
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 04:36   #12
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
any word on the price? I would rather not sell my first born for a better monitor. While it's nice, I have a feeling there's an upper limit and diminishing returns on desktop monitors. For instance having a 4-5K pixel wide resolution on a 23" monitor won't enable you to do much more, everything would look a lot sharper, but after awhile you would be using processing power to driver extra pixels that don't help you. You're fundamentally limited by the size of workable things like windows, not the resolution. So while I welcome this technology I don't expect it to change my life.

also, it would require an exponential increase in processing power to driver video games at such high native resolutions

Last edited by Krikkit; 17th Apr 2012 at 10:35. Reason: Merged double post.
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 09:17   #13
Harriet61
What's a Dremel?

Harriet61 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Harriet61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2012, 10:32   #14
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
I've hung on to my power-hungry Dell 2407 16:10 24in IPS monitors for the last 5 years because the monitor manufacturers haven't offered me anything worth upgrading to without going to an impractical 30in.
Consolification of gaming hasn't helped. What is the point of getting a Bajillion MP panel if the games you play were designed to run at 1080, or even 720?

Since I purchased it, monitor resolutions haven't increased and nor has DPI, power use has dropped slightly (57-100w down to 38 - 75w), and "better" processing specifications haven't lead to an appreciably better viewing experience.
I have been wondering what they have been doing for the last few years.
Hopefully I am about to see.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 22:44   #15
badman_mo007
Modder

badman_mo007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope the introduction of high resolution displays will drive the PC gaming market somewhat.
More Pixels requires more POWER so giving enthusiasts more reason to buy Uber gaming PCs.
But then again its the console oriented developers that are holding us back...
badman_mo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 00:30   #16
Fizzban
Reformed Grumpy Sod..kinda

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAceman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriet61 View Post
Echo....'Echo'

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2012, 10:15   #17
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
All this talk of even higher resolutions has made me see any of the top line GPU's as a bad purchase at the moment (except for those with plenty spare money) unless I was to stay on 2560x1440 which I think I will, but still I think I'll hold on to my 580 until these big res screens go retail & GPU manufacturers have started doing good enough GPU's that can handle the bigger res easy, so looks like my 580 is going to be a keeper card for maybe another 2 years I'd guess, reminds me of the 8800GTX so I donít have to worry about going budget crazy for scraping the money for a 680 now.

I am loving the news of awesome res & lower power though, good steps forward.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2012, 21:24   #18
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
Dell U2711? Are you joking right?
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote