bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 24th Apr 2012, 04:48   #1
IvanLV
What's a Dremel?

IvanLV has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I need Nerd Backup! Raid 0 + Win 7 + Crosshair V = Stuff of Nightmares

Please read, please help.

I reciently built a new machine. The two SSD's im running I know are good. I had them in Raid 0 in my old machine with Win7. Install was no problem and it was stable. Since transfering the SSD's to my new machine (i did wipe the drives), I could BARELY get win7 to install and it is now very unstable.

First off I had to search the web to find a way to get win7 to 'see' the raid 0 and actually install without error / lock up. The only way I was able to do so was as follows:

1. Set sata ports to raid
2. Set both SSD's to raid 0 via storage controller (healthy)
3. Boot win7 from CD and load drivers

4. Insert mobo disk and load: 'AMD AHCI Driver V1.2.1.292 for Windows Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)' (and ONLY that driver, if you load ANYTHING else win will error or hang up)
5. Reinsert Win7, create partisions, select drive and install.

If i use more 'up-to-date' drivers from Asus win won't install. If I load they additional drivers:

a. Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Driver V1.2.2.0 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit
b. AMD RAID Driver V3.2.1540.92 for Windows XP/Vista/7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

win will not install.

Having actually sucessfully installed win7 using the one driver (AMD AHCI....) I tried to patch. It's terrible, constant blue screens, unable to install win updates, unable to load graphics drivers.

I'm dying here and would forever be in your debt if someone could assist me.
IvanLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 05:06   #2
IvanLV
What's a Dremel?

After talking to a co-worker, he suggested I reinstall again, guessing it was a bad install. It still won't take with the most recient raid drivers from asus.

And now.... even using the old method (of which I found online) win still won't install. It hangs up at 13%.

I have lost all hope... next is my will to live =[
Old 24th Apr 2012, 10:27   #3
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
have you checked for bios updates?
Old 24th Apr 2012, 10:50   #4
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I know you've successfully created the raid container, but might I suggest you double check you have your drives connected to the correct ports for RAID associated with the SB950 controller? Apparently all the SATA ports on your board are coloured red, so it'd be easy to get them mixed up.

Can Win7 setup look inside archives (I'm not sure)? If not, you might also want to try extracting the RAID drivers from the .zip they're provided in and dumping them on the root of the device you're supplying the drivers on.

BIOS update can't hurt either.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 11:05   #5
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My (possibly controversial) suggestion is to un-RAID. Unless you need ridiculous throughput of RAID 0 SSDs then you are creating a headache for yourself.

SSDs are bloody fast without resorting to striping. I have got my flame retardant leotard on in preparation for responses to this post, however.
Old 24th Apr 2012, 11:13   #6
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirty View Post
My (possibly controversial) suggestion is to un-RAID. Unless you need ridiculous throughput of RAID 0 SSDs then you are creating a headache for yourself.

SSDs are bloody fast without resorting to striping. I have got my flame retardant leotard on in preparation for responses to this post, however.
I'd agree actually, but I was trying to help with the presented problem -- you're missing out on TRIM as well in a stripe setup, not to mention the headache you'll have if one of your drives decides to take a strop.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 11:16   #7
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Of course you were, and like most geeks I hate it when I can't get to the bottom of a problem.

BUT, I think in this case the OP is kind of missing the point of the SSD. Pookeyhead had a thread a while back where he excitedly set up a pair of OCZ 256GB Sandforce drives in RAID 0. Within a matter of days these had been sent back and replaced by a single Samsung 512GB drive. End of problems.
Old 24th Apr 2012, 11:39   #8
mrbungle
Undercooked chicken giver

mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.
On a side note the Asmedia drivers are not needed for raid as they are only for one internal port and one external.
Old 24th Apr 2012, 12:27   #9
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
RAID 0 makes me cry. I get you get fast speeds, verging on rediculous with ssd's, which is in itself awesome, but the amount of nonsense that goes with it, for me, makes it a no go.

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 12:58   #10
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I find it hard to believe that people are still running SSDs in Raid 0. I mean... why?

I'm a +1 for dropping Raid 0.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 15:32   #11
IvanLV
What's a Dremel?

I've gone into the storage controller, the drives are plugged into ports 1 & 2. I'm going for fast, this machine will serve as my gaming rig and digital work station for 3d models, maps and renders.

About bios updates, how do I install them if there is no OS to begin with?

Last edited by IvanLV; 24th Apr 2012 at 15:33. Reason: Mistake
Old 24th Apr 2012, 15:37   #12
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Use another computer to download the latest BIOS and update utility. This will usually take the form of creating a bootable USB stick. On the next reboot, hit <del> to enter your BIOS and set the first boot device as USB, save & reboot, and it will run the update.

Note that flashing the BIOS may well reset any RAID arrays you have already set up.

That's the generic process, see your motherboard's website for detailed info. I still think you're making a rod for your own back insisting on RAID though, I've only ever seen it go wrong on SSDs.
Old 24th Apr 2012, 17:02   #13
thehippoz
Banned

thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!thehippoz - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
slipstream sp1 onto your win7 install.. run it from usb

or get a copy with sp1 to use.. I had problems with certain laptops using the original win 7 install- the ones using the security chip eprom for the bios- kind of dumb especially from asus- cause they are bucktooths and you'd think would know better even if business class laptops need the protection

anyways, the pheonix bios leaves an error code you can reverse to get the pass anyhow.. just gives computer repair guys with another way to rip off customers imo oh sir your laptop has this chip... I can't get the pass but I know a guy lol extra 100 bucks xD or have to send to asus to reset

try sp1 though, it should install with the newer raid drivers
thehippoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 17:19   #14
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
http://techdows.com/2011/07/download...oad-links.html - Windows 7 + SP1
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:15   #15
PhoenixTank
From The Ashes

PhoenixTank has yet to learn the way of the DremelPhoenixTank has yet to learn the way of the DremelPhoenixTank has yet to learn the way of the DremelPhoenixTank has yet to learn the way of the DremelPhoenixTank has yet to learn the way of the DremelPhoenixTank has yet to learn the way of the DremelPhoenixTank has yet to learn the way of the DremelPhoenixTank has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How does a Win7 install get on when not in RAID? Still crashy?
Scythe Kaze Server (fan controller) | Lian Li PC-A77FB | W-75BT Side Panel Window
PhoenixTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:36   #16
Pookeyhead
It's big, and it's clever.

Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.Pookeyhead is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirty View Post
BUT, I think in this case the OP is kind of missing the point of the SSD. Pookeyhead had a thread a while back where he excitedly set up a pair of OCZ 256GB Sandforce drives in RAID 0. Within a matter of days these had been sent back and replaced by a single Samsung 512GB drive. End of problems.

Oh my yes.... don't get me started. I had all these problems. It took ages to get RAID drivers that would play nice with SFs in RAID0.. when I finally cracked it, and everything was working well, I only then ran into problems with Acronis boot disc not recognising the RAID drivers, so now I couldn't ever restore from a back up if I needed to... and with your boot drive in RAID0 THAT is something you DON'T want!

It was nice for 48 hours, and I could post some e-peen numbers, like almost 1GB/sec transfer rates... but it's all a paper exercise. My rig now has a single Samsung 830 512GB in it, and it FEELS no slower than the two Vertex set up. On paper it's almost half the speed, but boot times are almost the same, and everything I do after booting IS the same. Once you pass 4 or 500MB/sec it kind of becomes academic 99% of the time, plus, what makes SSDs rock is there performance with small files, as that makes up the bulk of what you do with it on a daily basis.... it's this that makes mechanical drives slower.

More importantly, it's rock solid now! One other problem I had with the 2x Vertex RAID0 set up was occasional BSODing for no reason. I simply can't tolerate that, as this machine is for work as well as play.

It's not worth it, as even when you get it to boot, you'll keep running into problems further down the line.
MAIN RIG |Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHz ¦¦ Asus Rampage IV Extreme ¦¦ 16Gb Mushkin DDR3 2133 ¦¦ 512GB Samsung 830 SSD ¦¦ 4TB of HDD Storage ¦¦ 4GB EVGA GTX670 Superclocked SLI ¦¦ Corsair 650D ¦¦ Eizo ColorEdge CG303W & Dell 2007FP ¦¦ Logitech Z623
EARTH| Celeron E3200 ¦¦ Gigabyte G31M-ES2L ¦¦ LSI SAS9260-8i ¦¦ 3TB RAID5 ¦¦ Headless - VNC administered
MOON | Thecus N3200pro 3TB RAID5
Pookeyhead is offline   Reply With Quote