bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 23rd Apr 2012, 20:11   #1
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

MiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run Crysis
Windows Media Player - constant self sharpening?

Hey,

I've noticed in windows media player that while watching videos they seem to quickly sharpen and blur very slightly and almost constantly.

It's most noticeable on the edge of things...i.e. a persons face, particularly in dark scenes. It's like some sort of on the fly auto-adjustment is always happening.

I've only noticed this lately, and since I've noticed it, it's become one of those things I can't stop paying attention to! Perhaps media player has always done it and I've never noticed?

Is this a WMP thing, or perhaps to do with Xvids, or codecs?

My gf can't seen what I'm talking about, and nor can several of my friends, but I am lucky enough to have better than 6/6 vision (that's better 20/20 to our US friends), so perhaps it's my eyes?

Thanks!
Old 24th Apr 2012, 02:39   #2
deadsea
Multimodder

deadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldeadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it something like a guy going from stubble to no stubble to stubble and back? I've had that issue before with a particular video file. Something to do with the way it was encoded. Just had it replaced and all was good.

But just incase, you might want to test out the file with another player to rule out that wmp is messing around with the output. Maybe VLC? Or media player classic? Does that count as a different player?
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 09:52   #3
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What you're describing just sounds like the nature of video compression codecs, especially videos encoded at low bitrates unless it's an issue specific to WMP.

If you're looking at trying an alternative to isolate the problem you'd be better trying VLC over MPC as the former avoids directshow filters altogether and uses its own copy of FFmpeg for video decoding.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07

Last edited by digitaldunc; 24th Apr 2012 at 10:52.
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 10:42   #4
erratum1
Needs a new avatar !

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Not noticed it in WMP but years ago I downloaded a HD programme on Iplayer which played in their desktop app and it did that, it looked awful.

The stream looked great but I didn't have a fast enough connection.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 10:59   #5
Shirty
Home of the Carnival Cougar

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Minimal - is this issue prevalent regardless of video format? For example, does it happen whilst watching a Blu-ray?
Shirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2012, 21:48   #6
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

MiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run CrysisMiNiMaL_FuSS can run Crysis
I couldn't tell you which formats it affects, I'll try running a few things and see what happens.

The fact is it's hardly noticeable and so most of the time I don't notice it, but every now and again it drives me mad!

Will experiment with some different vids and see what I can find.

Also I used to use to use MPC religiously, but since the move to windows 7, WMP seems to be much better - is it generally worth a move of player like it used to be on previous windows versions?
Old 24th Apr 2012, 21:52   #7
Shirty

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
I still only use VLC, it does everything I need it to.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 09:17   #8
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirty View Post
I still only use VLC, it does everything I need it to.
I was a big fan, but these days I try and install as little software as possible. Since Win7 WMP plays everything again, so I havn't bothered with additional software....I'm a neat freak!
Old 25th Apr 2012, 09:27   #9
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.Kovoet is definitely a rep cheat.
I only use VLC and swear by it. Music wise use media monkey gold. I am not a big fan anymore of Windows media player. They are to slow with the updates and you always have to source somewhere else for the codecs and I never have this hassle with VLC

sent from HTC Sensation
[i2700K 4.5ghz][Asus Maximus Formula V][H100i][Matrix HD7970 Plat ][Corsair Vengeance pro 16GB RED 2133mhz][Creative Soundblaster z][120GB mushkin and Kingsten Hyper X ssd's][1TB Samsung EVO SSD][Corsair Carbide 540 air][Corsair sp2500 speaker, qpad QH90 Headphones][Corsair K70][Logitech G500S][Synology 212+][U2311 S2740L][nostromo n52te] [AX850 PSU corsair RED cables]
Kovoet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 09:42   #10
Shirty

That's exactly why I vouch for VLC. No codecs to download ever.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 09:58   #11
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
but VLC's codecs aren't as high quality as others you can get. Although I do prefer it's interface.
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX670 DirectCU II 2GB @1202 & 6980 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - LG Flatron W2252TQ - Razer Deathadder - Thermaltake Contac 29.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 09:59   #12
Shirty

No doubt, but I watch through an SDTV on my media pc so I don't mind
Old 25th Apr 2012, 19:06   #13
digitaldunc
I'm d-d-d-d-digital

digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.digitaldunc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiNiMaL_FuSS View Post
Also I used to use to use MPC religiously, but since the move to windows 7, WMP seems to be much better - is it generally worth a move of player like it used to be on previous windows versions?
Down to personal preference but I still think it's a pile of horrible bloated poo -- don't suppose it matters so much in these days of hardware abundance but I still like my system and programs as lean as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders
but VLC's codecs aren't as high quality as others you can get. Although I do prefer it's interface.
Really? Is there a specific codec pack that provides better decoding? I'd be interested to try it.
Event-horizon: i7 2600K @ 4.5 @ ~1.3v | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 9-10-9-24-2T | 2 x 580 1.5Gb (SLI) 772/1002 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Crucial M4 256Gb | Spinpoint F3 1TB | Corsair HX1000 | ZM-MFC1 Fan controller | XSPC Dual res | 2 x DDC 18W | Black ice stealth 360 | ThermoChill PA120.4 | EK Supreme HF Nickel | 2 x EK 580 Plexi | 7 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450RPM | Modded TJ07
digitaldunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:08   #14
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldunc View Post
Down to personal preference but I still think it's a pile of horrible bloated poo -- don't suppose it matters so much in these days of hardware abundance but I still like my system and programs as lean as possible.

Really? Is there a specific codec pack that provides better decoding? I'd be interested to try it.
I just go for the least amount of installed software, so as WMP is seemingly undeleteable it wins out.

The community codec pack CCCL? or similar? is supposed to be very good. But again I've found since Win7 I rarely have to bother with codecs anymore.
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:56   #15
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
People have recommended shark007 to me recently.
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX670 DirectCU II 2GB @1202 & 6980 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - LG Flatron W2252TQ - Razer Deathadder - Thermaltake Contac 29.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jun 2012, 09:48   #16
MiNiMaL_FuSS
There be Cows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post
People have recommended shark007 to me recently.
thanks will give them a blast +rep
Old 10th Jun 2012, 16:18   #17
dunx
ITX is where it's at !

dunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysis
control panel>programs and features>turn windows features on/off>media features

HTH

dunx
Asus P6T7 WS Revo. + Asus U3S6 - i7-960 @ 3.8 GHz - Corsair H70 - 6 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 MHz - 64 GB Cucial M4 SSD - Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD's - HD 5870 + GTX 480 - Coolermaster 1250W PSU - ANTEC P280 - 4 x 240 V server fans - Griffin Powermate
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote