bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Apr 2012, 21:41   #41
cjmUK
Old git.

cjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run CrysiscjmUK can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
and c64 paled to the atari 800xl and later 130xe.. you guys had the slowest disk drives known to man- you could watch 2 bruce lee movies in the time it took to load up one game
What are these disk drives you speak of??

Real men used tapes: http://bit.ly/Jmn3gL

[PS 800XL came 3 yrs before C64 (and couldn't compete) and the 130xe came 3 years afterwards - whereas the C64 and speccy went toe to toe in 1982]
Old 24th Apr 2012, 22:47   #42
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by numanoid View Post
Awesome, i remember playing ELITE on this, had to put a stupid glass thing onto the tv screen to see the code...loved it....shooting at ferdilance ships and bloody flying saucers (who battered me) lol
I've still got my copy

The Speccy is where it all started for me, loved that machine.

GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 07:31   #43
Coltch
Multimodder

Coltch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the DremelColtch has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySmacked View Post
I've still got my copy

The Speccy is where it all started for me, loved that machine.
You're missing the poster!

Elite was good on the Speccy (faster than the C64 but no docking music ), I've had to download the 128K version as my original does not work on the +2 - It's also easier as I don't have to contend with Lenslok like on my Spectrum+.
Coltch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 07:46   #44
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltch View Post
You're missing the poster!
I think 10 year old me must still have that

GravitySmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 10:12   #45
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Happy anniversary Speccie - We will always love you!!

Even with it's colour clashing etc... this was an awe inspiring moment when I got my 2nd hand 48k ZX Spectrum, joystic adaptor, the kensington joystick, jet set willy, manic miner, Elite, Delta Wing, sabre wulf, attic attack, Daley Thompson's decathlon, chequered flag - all fantastic games and just hearing the name reminds me of my own computing history..

Had the Spectrum for a few years, moved to C64 where (after a few years of tape loading) I had my first disk drive (5.25" floppy disk drive that was the size of a shoe box) god bless Action replay and 'Turbo Loading' unsung heroes of gamers of those times.... Gunship, F117A, Ninja, pit stop2, Attack of the Mutant Camels. Paradriod, Uridium, Rescue on Fractalus... then came the arcade conversions of Outrun etc....

Atari ST came next, enjoyed loads of mostly arcade conversions, Elite Plus, although the F16 combat simulator was awesome and I played my first serial connected head to head dogfight with a mate (hauling a CRT around was aweful).

Then an Amiga 600 that did not last that long before I moved to my first PC, DX2-66 CPU, 8xCDROM, 4meg ram, 540mb hard disk etc.... my first game was Star Trek TNG.... rest is also history.
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 17:07   #46
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
I remember when I started with a TK83 (a clone from them).
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 06:47   #47
barbary
What's a Dremel?

barbary has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does anyone remember what it cost in 82. I've seen those prices on wikipedia before and I think its been shown before that they are wrong.

Never got the appeal of the spectrum by 85 the C64 seemed to be almost the same price and was far better.
barbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 07:50   #48
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbary View Post
Does anyone remember what it cost in 82. I've seen those prices on wikipedia before and I think its been shown before that they are wrong.

Never got the appeal of the spectrum by 85 the C64 seemed to be almost the same price and was far better.
For some reason I can;t get 179.99 out of my head.... It might be worth while looking up an old copy of Your sinclair or Sinclair user to see if you can find one in there...
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 07:58   #49
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How about this for some serious flashbacks...

http://www.sincuser.f9.co.uk/
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 11:01   #50
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbary View Post
I can assure you, they're right. Behold this original launch advert for the 16K and 48K versions:

(From Golfy's Blog.)

125 for the 16K, 175 for the 48K.

(The Spectrum 48K was the first computer I had that was mine and mine alone - previous machines had been 'family' computers. After it released the magic smoke, I upgraded to a Commodore C64, then a C128, then a Schneider Euro-PC II IBM-compatible.)
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
(1)25/15/21