bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 25th Apr 2012, 22:47   #1
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Steam is coming to Linux!

This just in! Valve has confirmed that they are in fact bringing the Steam client and Source engine to Linux!

Read about it here

This is huge! This could mean a huge shift in PC gaming. I may consider a permanent primary OS shift in the future if this does well enough. Thoughts everyone? The only issue I see is OpenGL vs DirectX. OpenGL has been playing catchup for a while now. But Linux!
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 23:42   #2
improprietary
FT03 is a bitch to watercool

improprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremelimproprietary has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if its gonna run through w.i.n.e. i'll kill a kitten.
improprietary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 23:49   #3
hyperion
Supermodder

hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The article says it runs natively without wine. Does this mean every game on steam will run on linux or just the source engine games?
hyperion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2012, 23:50   #4
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Confirmed to be run as a native program with no Wine involvement at all. Same with Source.

EDIT: At first it will just be Source games but Valve will be lobbying devs that use OpenGL to take advantage. A lot of games that use Unreal Engine have OpenGL versions. (for PS3) and then all the id Tech games are on OpenGL.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 23:50   #5
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm liking the sound of this, always had issues running steam via wine on various distributions.
Old 25th Apr 2012, 23:59   #6
hyperion
Supermodder

hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hyperion is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm gonna point out the elephant in the room and say no more paying for windows w0000t!
hyperion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 00:20   #7
SpAceman
Supermodder

To be honest I never paid for Windows. MSDNAA helps there.
Old 26th Apr 2012, 04:29   #8
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Well I'm happy for you Linux guys I suppose?

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 04:46   #9
AmEv
Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.
YES!

Since Orange Box is Source Engine Powered, should I be able to play them?

For once, I'm THANKFUL M$ has made a bad product! (sarcasm)

Here's what I'm thinking:

They are releasing HL/P3 with the Linux client.
Just like they released Portal 2 with the MacOS client.

Last edited by AmEv; 26th Apr 2012 at 04:59.
AmEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 07:43   #10
dave_c
Supermodder

dave_c has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldave_c has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperion View Post
I'm gonna point out the elephant in the room and say no more paying for windows w0000t!
its a step in the right direction but im afraid there is alot that needs to be done before linux can truely compete with windows for the average user.
3X 22" Samsung monitors | Gigabyte P55 UD4 | i5 750 @ 2.6Ghz | ATI HD5770 | 8Gb Corsair dominator | XClio wind tunnel (heavy modded) | Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit | Western Digital 500GB HDD X3 + Mybook external | CM Storm | Zero motivation to upgrade
dave_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 09:20   #11
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_c View Post
its a step in the right direction but im afraid there is alot that needs to be done before linux can truely compete with windows for the average user.
Agreed, but personally, Steam is the only reason I keep a windows installation.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 09:28   #12
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders View Post
Same here, but unfortunately I think it will be a long time before I can truly get shot of Windows... Even if Steam & Source Engine games will run natively under Linux, many of the other games I have on Steam are still based on DirectX and will have Windows binaries & libraries. Plus there's also the non-Steam games I have...

Linux may have taken over on my laptop (except for the Win7 partition the missus insisted I leave for her use...grumble...), but I think it'll be a long time before I can do the same for my desktop.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 13:55   #13
AmEv
Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders View Post
Same here.

And First Decade doesn't run properly under Wine...

And AutoDesk software is garbage under Wine...
Old 26th Apr 2012, 18:10   #14
lp rob1
PAM says no...

lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.lp rob1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
They are releasing HL/P3 with the Linux client.
Just like they released Portal 2 with the MacOS client.
Um, did they? I seem to remember getting my free copy of Portal with the release of the Mac OSX client, and that was certainly before getting Portal 2. In fact, a Wikipedia search confirms this: Portal 2 release - 19 April 2011 | Steam Mac OSX release - 12 May 2010.

To the matter at hand, I for one am certainly overjoyed at the news. At the moment, the two games I play the most are Minecraft and Team Fortress 2. Minecraft is written in Java (a mixed blessing, I know) and can run on Java-enabled platforms, and with this news soon TF2 can be played on a Linux box too! Now if Ubisoft get a Linux port of Anno 2070...

Tags
game, linux, open, source, steam