bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 26th Apr 2012, 19:43   #21
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.Margo Baggins is definitely a rep cheat.
you can run just the sub without a 12v amp and use a different amp...

before I got my 12" wharfedale sub I used to run 2 car subs in my room becuase I had them about and I had amps to run them.

Subs don't have crossovers - so you need a crossover, you can keep really cheap nasty sounding passive crossovers from maplins, I think they have a few different low shelves at around the 60 - 100hz range. I used to run an active crossover though, where I ran the sub frequencies out to their own dedicated power amp.

You can use car sub's in rooms, but as said above they sound a bit pap unless they are massive/built in an enclosure that suit the large room. The actual woofers are for the most part alright, its down the the enclosure. I used to live with a speaker builder who built some awesome subs and scoops.

I would steer clear of car amps in your home though, as, its a silly idea.

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2012, 22:19   #22
sam12301
Multimodder

sam12301 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lol well thanks for all the advice and you have given some good ideas, maybe ill just invest in a high quality speaker system made for in the house/pc
sam12301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 13:54   #23
CarlT2001
Supermodder

CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yeah, it would probably sound rubbish, but don't put the OP off a chance to have a tinker with some bits and bobs. I spent a lot of my youth and learned a fair bit from messing around with old bits of hi-fi, speakers, car stereos etc. If you know where not to put your fingers and have a appreciation of electricity and some common sense, you are probably going to be ok.
CarlT2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2012, 14:02   #24
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.BLC is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlT2001 View Post
Yeah, it would probably sound rubbish, but don't put the OP off a chance to have a tinker with some bits and bobs. I spent a lot of my youth and learned a fair bit from messing around with old bits of hi-fi, speakers, car stereos etc. If you know where not to put your fingers and have a appreciation of electricity and some common sense, you are probably going to be ok.
No problem with that at all, but when people start talking about twisting PSU wires together I start to get a little hesitant in my encouragement. If you ("You", as in, "the OP") already have something that can power the sub safely then great, go for it - tinker away! Hell, last week I spent my entire weekend building a headphone amp. But building or tinkering with PSUs is not to be trifled with - especially with the sort of power & voltages you need with audio.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2012, 10:34   #25
sam12301
Multimodder

sam12301 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ok cheers guys big help
sam12301 is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode