bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 8th May 2012, 13:25   #1
murraynt
I Mod, Therefore I Own

murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Need to ship my PC

Hey guys.

I'm moving back from uni for the summer and I have to ship my rig back but I have no box for my case.

Anybody have any ideas of what I could use instead of the original box?

Thanks on advanced
I5 2500K @ 4.8ghz l MSI GD53l 8GB corsair 1600mhz l Asus 5870 v2 NZXT Phantom Red l Zalman X10 Quiet l 60GB Crucial M4l F3 1TB Spinner l X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty l 700Watt Thermaltake l Samsung IPS231 l
Steam: murraynt
murraynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 13:28   #2
short1uk
Multimodder

short1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysis
How about a roll of that bubble wrap from a garden centre or BnQ (the one with the massive bubbles) wrap it in a ton of that then bin bags?

Local super market might give you a large crisp box? Might be able to slip it in the box then?
Old 8th May 2012, 13:29   #3
M_D_K
I Mod, Therefore I Own

M_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
By ship I assume your posting it,

depending on how much its worth & how much your willing to spend but I would look a Pelican/Storm case if it'll fit nothing will protect it more .

Failing that pop down your local PC world maybe see if they have an old box u can have?
Old 8th May 2012, 13:45   #4
murraynt
I Mod, Therefore I Own

murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by short1uk View Post
How about a roll of that bubble wrap from a garden centre or BnQ (the one with the massive bubbles) wrap it in a ton of that then bin bags?

Local super market might give you a large crisp box? Might be able to slip it in the box then?
Good idea. I might resort to that. Asda might have something big enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D_K View Post
By ship I assume your posting it,

depending on how much its worth & how much your willing to spend but I would look a Pelican/Storm case if it'll fit nothing will protect it more .

Failing that pop down your local PC world maybe see if they have an old box u can have?
It will be placed inside a crate so i don't think i'll need anything as extreme. Good suggestion though
I5 2500K @ 4.8ghz l MSI GD53l 8GB corsair 1600mhz l Asus 5870 v2 NZXT Phantom Red l Zalman X10 Quiet l 60GB Crucial M4l F3 1TB Spinner l X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty l 700Watt Thermaltake l Samsung IPS231 l
Old 8th May 2012, 14:39   #5
j4mi3
Ultramodder

j4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysis
are you going to dismantle the cooler and such?

I would never ship a computer with an aftermarket cooler attatched. air cooler that is

i7 2600k @ 4.6 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Asus GTX 670 Direct CUII TOP | Gskill Ripjaws x 16gb 2200mhz | Noctua nh-d14 | Antec 1200 | Enermax Revolution87+ 850w | Samsung 840 Pro 128gb | Crucial M4 64gb | WD Caviar Black 500gb | Dell U2711 |
j4mi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 15:09   #6
murraynt
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4mi3 View Post
are you going to dismantle the cooler and such?

I would never ship a computer with an aftermarket cooler attatched. air cooler that is
I think Ill Take the heatsink off along with the gfx.

Do you think the sound card would be ok to leave in?
Old 8th May 2012, 15:19   #7
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
where you shipping from, are you returning to uni after the summer?

If your returning, why not use a local storage firm to storage most your stuff than shipping it around everywhere.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 15:20   #8
Margo Baggins
I'm good at Soldering

Margo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming SaiyanMargo Baggins is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraynt View Post
I think Ill Take the heatsink off along with the gfx.

Do you think the sound card would be ok to leave in?
I wouldnt worry about the sound card I cant imagine they wobble that much, but then again, if you are taking out the other stuff, you might as well take this out to be sure.

I have shipped a few pc's just wrapped in bubble wrap and black bags - all have survived with no damages, so as yours has a crate as well, im sure they will be fine! Just pad it out so it can't move about inside the crate.

Get a Geek Box

i7 3820 4.3ghz - 8GB 2133mhz - GTX580 SOC

keyboards.
Margo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 15:23   #9
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If it were mine I'd take all the cards out, but I reckon you'd be OK with a sound card. Anything that puts visible strain on the motherboard is a definite no no - the X-Fi Titanium is very light and compact. I miss mine
Old 8th May 2012, 15:38   #10
murraynt
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
where you shipping from, are you returning to uni after the summer?

If your returning, why not use a local storage firm to storage most your stuff than shipping it around everywhere.
I'm shipping from Birmingham to Ireland. I'm leaving on the 19th of this month and I'm not back until September so it would be quite a while without my desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo Baggins View Post
I wouldnt worry about the sound card I cant imagine they wobble that much, but then again, if you are taking out the other stuff, you might as well take this out to be sure.

I have shipped a few pc's just wrapped in bubble wrap and black bags - all have survived with no damages, so as yours has a crate as well, im sure they will be fine! Just pad it out so it can't move about inside the crate.
It looks like that's what I'll do as well. I will probably take it out to be safe and put it in the graphics card box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirty View Post
If it were mine I'd take all the cards out, but I reckon you'd be OK with a sound card. Anything that puts visible strain on the motherboard is a definite no no - the X-Fi Titanium is very light and compact. I miss mine
Pitty the drivers are just awful

This should be enough wrap
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-300mm-J...6483073&sr=8-4
And maybe use some cardboard as well.
Old 8th May 2012, 17:02   #11
dead beat
Rippin six 4 life

dead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitdead beat is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I'd remove any HDD's too, just incase it does get knocked about.
ASUS ROG Maximus V Extreme Z77 | Intel i7 2600K @ 5.1Ghz | 4x Radeon R9 290s Quadfire | 8GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM @ 1866Mhz | Corsair AX1200 PSU | Crucial M4 256GB SSD | 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 HDD's | Dimastech Easy bench Dual V2.5 | Dell 3007 WFP-HC 30" monitor | Custom dual radiator waterloop
Photography gear: Nikon D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII | Nikkor 35mm F2/D | Nikkor 50mm 1.8D | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikon TC-14E II | SB-700 Speedlight
dead beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 17:20   #12
dancingbear84
error 404

dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.dancingbear84 is definitely a rep cheat.
Dell and other suppliers ship towers in a full state. Whilst I understand the logic, in a minute the OP will be shipping an emptytower tower plus a multitude of other parts individually.
I'd talk to the uni it dept and see if they have the packaging from any pc's, including the foam/polystyrene protection. If it is good enough for a multi national it it good enough for me. Polystyrene/foam stuff is great at absorbing knocks, I'm thinking bike helmets here.
Old 8th May 2012, 18:03   #13
j4mi3
Ultramodder

j4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysisj4mi3 can run Crysis
birmingham to ireland? I'd remove almost all of it lol. It won't take long to put back together. Just to be on the safe side.

I'd leave the mobo, cpu and optical drives and take the rest out

i7 2600k @ 4.6 | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Asus GTX 670 Direct CUII TOP | Gskill Ripjaws x 16gb 2200mhz | Noctua nh-d14 | Antec 1200 | Enermax Revolution87+ 850w | Samsung 840 Pro 128gb | Crucial M4 64gb | WD Caviar Black 500gb | Dell U2711 |
j4mi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 18:47   #14
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraynt View Post
Hey guys.

I'm moving back from uni for the summer and I have to ship my rig back but I have no box for my case.

Anybody have any ideas of what I could use instead of the original box?

Thanks on advanced
I suggest you look on ebay or checkout a box company and order a box the approximate shape for the case. Shouldn't be hard. I packed up all my computer stuff and shipped it to Sweden last year, then shipped it all the way back again.

Mechanical hard disks should be removed before shipping and either carried with you or packed in a box with bubblewrap or packing peanuts.

If your GPU is fairly large/heavy then I recommend you take that out and pack it separately too.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 16:55   #15
short1uk
Multimodder

short1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysisshort1uk can run Crysis
Scan ship with bubble wrap inside the pc and a sticker saying

DO NOT TURN ON REMOVE BUBBLE WRAP FROM INSIDE THE PC

made me lol, oh and the box was HUGE it just fit through my 30inch door!
Old 10th May 2012, 17:56   #16
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
go by ferry and take it with you is the easist way and cheapest.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 22:53   #17
hamza_tm
I Mod, Therefore I Own

hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.hamza_tm is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I would carry it with me all the way by hand.

Yes.

CM Storm Quickfire Rapid MX Brown (White Filco caps) | Zowie AM | Sennheiser PC360 | Razer Sphex
hamza_tm is offline   Reply With Quote