bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 9th May 2012, 12:55   #1
mattyh1995
Hypermodder

mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
n00b alert: What do I need to know for iOS development?

Currently, i'm 17 and in college working towards game design. Since I chose the wrong subjects for my 1st year, I want to know what sort of stuff I should learn (Basics of difference programming languages.etc) for developing simple 2d games on iOS.

I already have some very basic knowlege of programming from the courses on codeacademy.com - I just want to know what sort of stuff I should end up researching to get into this career.
| CM Storm Stryker | Corsair TX750 PSU | Creative SoundblasterZ |
| Steam - [UK] Holcroft |
mattyh1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 13:11   #2
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well you will need to know the technologies used with iOS - that means Objective C, Cocoa, you will need to know how to use OS X, Xcode as iOS development is possible only with OS X.
Old 9th May 2012, 13:41   #3
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
^^ that
To answer likely upcoming questions:
1) No, I don't think you can code for iOS in windows.
2) No, I don't think there's a free apple developers thingy... it costs money annually.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:30   #4
faugusztin

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
2) No, I don't think there's a free apple developers thingy... it costs money annually.
Sorta. AFAIK you can download iOS SDK for free, but you will have to get the $99/year developer subscription to be able to publish your apps.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:31   #5
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
ah... this might be so....hmm... consider me as speaking under correction
Old 9th May 2012, 14:38   #6
faugusztin

Quote:
Licensing

The SDK itself is a free download, but beta SDKs require a paid developer account. In order to release software, one must enroll in the iPhone Developer Program—a step requiring payment and Apple's approval. As of January 2010, cost of enrollment in the iPhone Developer Program is US$99 per year (the cost varies from country to country) for the standard program. Signed keys are provided to upload the application to Apple's App Store.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:04   #7
mattyh1995
Hypermodder

mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hmm. Screw that then, my teacher advised I look into it. What about development on windows, like flash games? What sort of knowledge would that need?
Thanks for the responses anyway ^^
Old 9th May 2012, 15:17   #8
faugusztin

In case of mobile phone application development, your best bet is Android. SDK is free, you can publish apps as APK files for free, and in case of freeware applications you need only one time $25 free to be able to publish on Google Play Store (former Android Market). ADT (Eclipse plugins for Android development) are free as well, programming language for Android is pretty much Java + XML.

In case of Flash, you need Adobe Flash Professional or other flash authoring tool :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_F...uthoring_tools
Never bothered with Flash, so i can't help you with this.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:33   #9
BentAnat
Software Dev

HTML5+Javascript = mobile games on most mobile browsers, and playable offline...
Old 9th May 2012, 15:50   #10
mattyh1995
Hypermodder

Thanks faugusztin I'll check that out ^^
Old 13th May 2012, 22:55   #11
TheManicGibbon
I have no idea what's going on

TheManicGibbon has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheManicGibbon has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheManicGibbon has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheManicGibbon has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheManicGibbon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Students can also get 1 years free access to the Windows Phone App Hub, and through either your college or uni's MSDN or Dreamspark, you can get all the tools you need for that for free.

Hope this helps!
Main Box: Intel Core i5-3570K // Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 // XFX HD7850 1GB OC // Crucial M4 256GB SSD // 4TB Storage // Antec Kuhler H2O 620 // CM690 II // Corsair CX600W // Sidewinder X8 // 2x22" LG IPS224V & BenQ G2222HDL
Server: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 // 6GB Crucial DDR2 // Sapphire HD5670 1GB OC // 500GB HDD //
JGM Software Development, Web, Consultancy: www.jgmsoftware.co.uk
TheManicGibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 20:45   #12
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
If you can't get the necessary tools for free through your school or through DreamSpark you can always download the Visual Studio Express edition of your favourite flavour, C#, C++, VB et al.

Or specifically for writing games there's XNA Game Studio. This one also lets you target Windows Phone 7.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 21:09   #13
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
You should also investigate cross platform tools such as phonegap. If this is going to be your career (or be linked to it) then you should learn as much you can about as much you can.

Doesn't mean you need to learn C,C++,Ruby,Java etc etc but you should at least aim to learn the differences between the options and which uses which.
Guinevere is online now   Reply With Quote