bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 10th May 2012, 10:29   #21
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
But we are trying to fix a hardware problem, not "understand how Windows manages RAM". Or maybe i try to describe it better for you - OP had 4GB RAM. He inserted another 8GB RAM in his board. For hardware reasons, Windows (or any other OS) sees (can use) 2/4/7GB of RAM instead of 12GB. Free/Cached/Total/Available has nothing to do with the issue in this topic, we are trying to fix the "Hardware reserved" part.
I thought it was a brilliantly insightful piece of info and very relevant. To fix a problem you need to understand the problem. You couldn't fix a car engine without understanding how it works could you?

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 10:35   #22
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Long shot but is there a memory flexibility option or a memory hole remapping option anywhere in the bios?
XFXScorpio911 PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz SLI GTX 480 1536MB ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T CORSAIR HYDRO H50 CORSAIR F60 WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit Musings On The Technical World Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 10:37   #23
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
I thought it was a brilliantly insightful piece of info and very relevant. To fix a problem you need to understand the problem. You couldn't fix a car engine without understanding how it works could you?
With your car analogy... It is nice to know how car engine works, but what does it help you if your problem is with leaking fuel tank ?
Quote:
Look at that picture. He explained the green, orange, blue and light blue parts. All nice and fine - but the problem is the big size of the grey part. So what does the knowledge of non-grey parts give us to solve the problem with the grey part ? Nothing.

Am i clear now ?
Old 10th May 2012, 11:29   #24
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Now children, play nice!
Old 10th May 2012, 12:54   #25
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Wagyu View Post
Also make sure Hardware Remapping, or Memory Remapping whatever it's called in BIOS, is enabled too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness_3d View Post
Long shot but is there a memory flexibility option or a memory hole remapping option anywhere in the bios?
This.

Look for a BIOS option called something like Memory Remapping and change its setting.
Old 10th May 2012, 13:29   #26
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@Flibblebot: unfortunately that doesn't explain the varying amount of Hardware reserved RAM. If memory remap would be the solution, then he would have the same amount of memory reserved all the time. If you check what OP wrote :
1) 12GB installed, 10GB hardware reserved
2) 8GB installed, 14MB hardware reserved
3) 12GB installed, 8GB hardware reserved
4) 16GB installed, 12GB hardware reserved
5) 12GB installed, 5GB hardware reserved

As you can see, the hardware reserved values change with every combination he tries. That means a hardware issue (bad CPU pin contact due damaged pin or board being bended by CPU cooler) or a memory controller issue (low memory controller voltage or low memory voltage).
Old 10th May 2012, 13:35   #27
lysaer
Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.lysaer is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_gamer View Post
Have you updated the motherboard bios?

Flash the bios with all the memory Dimms installed.
^ this, also another good test is to grab a linux distro whack it on usb and boot into it, see if you get 12 gigs in that os, at least you will know whether its hardware or software related

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
lysaer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 16:12   #28
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
With your car analogy... It is nice to know how car engine works, but what does it help you if your problem is with leaking fuel tank ?

Look at that picture. He explained the green, orange, blue and light blue parts. All nice and fine - but the problem is the big size of the grey part. So what does the knowledge of non-grey parts give us to solve the problem with the grey part ? Nothing.

Am i clear now ?
I believe what he was doing was showing the op that he doesn't need 12gb of ram and that 8 is sufficient, so why waste time and most of your hair trying to get 12gb to work, whilst also giving some background knowledge which most people interested in this sort of thing would appreciate. but that just my opinion. and opinion-3.142=onion.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 17:34   #29
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
@Flibblebot: unfortunately that doesn't explain the varying amount of Hardware reserved RAM. If memory remap would be the solution, then he would have the same amount of memory reserved all the time. If you check what OP wrote :
1) 12GB installed, 10GB hardware reserved
2) 8GB installed, 14MB hardware reserved
3) 12GB installed, 8GB hardware reserved
4) 16GB installed, 12GB hardware reserved
5) 12GB installed, 5GB hardware reserved

As you can see, the hardware reserved values change with every combination he tries. That means a hardware issue (bad CPU pin contact due damaged pin or board being bended by CPU cooler) or a memory controller issue (low memory controller voltage or low memory voltage).
That might be the case, but since I'm a fan of Occam and his shaving implements, I would try the remapping feature first. If that still doesn't work, then I'd start to look at damaged pins and so on - but I'd start with the simplest option first.
Old 10th May 2012, 17:46   #30
.//TuNdRa
Resident Bulldozer Guru

.//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat.
Also the option that doesn't involve completely tearing down the PC is always a good one to try, sometimes the simple answers are the easiest.

Although I'd check each DIMM, ensure the voltages are all correct, then check the pins if Memory Hole Remapping isn't the answer.
Dozy Beast: AMD FX8120 | Thermalright Archon | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP | Asus Xonar DX/XD | 2X SLI KFA2 550Ti White Edition | Silverstone SSTG1000W | Silverstone Raven RV-02B V1.7 | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 2x WD 3TB RED RAID0 | Lite-on Blu-ray ROM
Dell U2913WM | Sennheiser HD 485s | Creative Gigaworks T40s | Logitech G13 | Microsoft Sidewinder X6 | Cyborg R.A.T 9
.//TuNdRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 17:53   #31
matt_lumley
You're only supposed to...

matt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for president
Sounds long winded but i would boot with each single stick in 1 at a time (i.e. booting with 1 x 2GB stick etc) check and see if you have all of that memory available. When you hit the bad stick you will some reserved/unavailabe by my logic. If all prove to be ok then try different slots 1 stick at a time (using a known good stick)

Just my 2cents
matt_lumley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bollocks, hardware, ram, reserved, windows