bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 10th May 2012, 10:38   #21
PauloWhysalli
Confused.com

PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
I do understand ... I'll let other bit-techer answer you on this point as I'm still using DDR2. I upgrade only once every 5/6 years or so, it's always a huuuuuuuuuuuge jump for me .

The i5 will give you a nice upgrade for number crunching, but about gaming .... I'm not sure it's worth it (maybe for strategy games like Shogun 2). You could alway go for the i5 and upgrade the GPU later ...
I don't play as many different types of games any more its mainly those three. As I haven't even overclocked my Q6600 maybe I should look to do that instead in the first instance and go with the SSD to improve loads times.

Could do with some advice with regards to the motherboard so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
PauloWhysalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 11:03   #22
aLtikal
1338-One step infront of the pro's

aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.aLtikal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Im in a similar boat to you, running the spec in my sig...I could afford to upgrade to a 2500k setup but I don't believe the benefit to cost ratio is huge at all - so i'm waiting...I also play BF3 on med settings and its fine although my graphics card is the bottleneck but ive got my eye on a 7850.
In a nutshell, the Q6600 is still a very capable chip for most peoples needs and does it really warant spending 350 for a new CPU/Mobo/RAM/Cooler? Not really.
aLtikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 11:15   #23
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The Ivy Bridge i5 these guys have recommended is great but unfortunately not compatible with the motherboard you picked. Not to mention, about 60% more expensive. Be careful, before buying check compatibility.
I'd go for this: i3 2120. It's the same price as the i3 you chose, but 200MHz faster.

I'd also go for another motherboard, even if it's more expensive. Take a look at this one: Asus P8H77-M. Why go for a more expensive mobo? Well because this will allow for easy upgrades a few years from now. You'll be able to go for an Ivy Bridge quad (i5), get a PCI-E 3.0 graphics card and use it at full speed, you'll be able to use up to 32 GB of RAM, you'll have USB3 (back and front).

Since you mentioned you wanted a new case, have a look at this one: Antec Three Hundred

So, here a total:
CPU: 90
Mobo: 80
RAM: 40
SSD: 80
Case: 40

TOTAL: 330 pounds
It's a 10% stretch of your initial budget, but definitely worth it.
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 11:24   #24
Dwarfer
Banned

Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'd change the board from that list to - Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 (B3) - 71.59 inc VAT
Dwarfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 11:38   #25
mrbungle
Undercooked chicken giver

mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken76 View Post
The Ivy Bridge i5 these guys have recommended is great but unfortunately not compatible with the motherboard you picked.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...8H61M_LE/#CPUS

It does support ivy but like any board you will have to check what bios it ships with.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:12   #26
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbungle View Post
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...8H61M_LE/#CPUS

It does support ivy but like any board you will have to check what bios it ships with.
Hmm.. I thought H61 was not supposed to be Ivy Bridge compatible.
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 13:51   #27
PauloWhysalli
Confused.com

PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.PauloWhysalli is definitely a rep cheat.
Ok bit of a change of plans, after speaking to my builder by budget is limited to 200.00 due to extra costs for electrical work that I need doing in my extension. I have decided to keep the Q6600 and replace the Mobi, RAM and case. I am also buying a SSD and cooler. Realistically I wont be in a position to replace the processor til December and I feel like freshening my system up.

So I am planning on overclocking the lot and seeing what increases in speed that gives me instead. After Xmas I will be in a position to build a completely new computer and can have all the things I really want.

This is what I am thinking of. I know the Mobi may not seem worth it but it gives me the option of DDR3 and SATA 3 for the SSD ( i think )

Old 10th May 2012, 16:18   #28
matt_lumley
You're only supposed to...

matt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for president
What you have got above looks good!
What cooler are you using currently as if i remember Q6600 are quite hot so a good aftermarket cooler is required to OC it.

Something like a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro, or Advanced?
matt_lumley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 16:38   #29
PauloWhysalli
Confused.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lumley View Post
What you have got above looks good!
What cooler are you using currently as if i remember Q6600 are quite hot so a good aftermarket cooler is required to OC it.

Something like a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro, or Advanced?
Just the stock cooler at the moment as I've never bothered to overclock it in the past. Any suggestions for a cooler would be welcome!
Old 10th May 2012, 16:55   #30
matt_lumley
You're only supposed to...

matt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for presidentmatt_lumley should be considered for president
The one I use (Dark Rock Pro) is excellent, very big but very effective, keeps my i5 at 4.6GHZ under 65 degrees full load!

Other good air coolers are Titan Fenrir, Noctua DH-14 (i think thats the one anyway) Dark Rock Pro, Dark Rock Advanced.
matt_lumley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 20:15   #31
happysack
goodateverthinger

happysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysishappysack can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_lumley View Post
The one I use (Dark Rock Pro) is excellent, very big but very effective, keeps my i5 at 4.6GHZ under 65 degrees full load!

Other good air coolers are Titan Fenrir, Noctua DH-14 (i think thats the one anyway) Dark Rock Pro, Dark Rock Advanced.
I got a Titan fenrir on my stock clock i3 cpu and its love it... Like a freezer
Old 11th May 2012, 01:13   #32
terrorbyt
MultiModder

terrorbyt has yet to learn the way of the Dremelterrorbyt has yet to learn the way of the Dremelterrorbyt has yet to learn the way of the Dremelterrorbyt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysack View Post
I got a Titan fenrir on my stock clock i3 cpu and its love it... Like a freezer
the stock i3 cooler I'm using provides ~35 idle and ~50 load
i3 2120 @3.3GHz | MSI B75A-G43 | Sapphire HD 6950 2GB | 8GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Blue @1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | OCZ StealthExtreme 600W | Sony AD-7261S-0B DVD RW | Coolermaster 430 Elite w/ 3 Blue LED fans | Windows 7 | x2 22" LG LED LCD E2251 | Gigabyte Osmium mechanical keyboard |

^^ Built this PC on 29/04/2012 | Total cost ~550 excluding peripherals
terrorbyt is offline   Reply With Quote