bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 14th Oct 2012, 21:20   #1
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
The Shrine (update 24/3 COMPLETED! photos and video)

Time for a new project!

"The Shrine" is a HTPC in solid walnut. The concept for this build is nature and technology in symbiosis.

For coolant Iīll be using something amber like. This to resemble resin, binding machine and nature together. Colors Iīll be using are Walnut, black and copper.

The build is designed around an acrylic dome which I found a couple of weeks ago

It will be built in two levels:

*A top "display", with water cooled CPU and MB encapsulated by the dome.

*A base, "the trunk", where other components will be sharing airflow

Sketch

I will also have an Arduino based LED system on top, with 30 diodes in orange,
breathing sort of randomly. Well, letīs just hope for the best

Specs:

CPU: ?
MB: ASRock H77M-ITX
Psu: my oldCorsair CX 430W
GPU: my old GTX 460
RAM: Corsair Donimator 2x4GB
SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB

Water cooling for CPU:

Block: Alphacool NexXxoS XPģ Light - Acetal Edition - Intel/AMD
Rad: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 120mm
Fan: 1x Phobya G-Silent 12 1200rpm Black Silent Edition
Res & Pump: Phobya DC-220 & Alphacool Cape Corp AGB2
Fittings: Alphacool 16/10 G1/4 - shiny copper

Dome, aprox 320mm in diam

I will try to finish my REDELUX build next week. Until then...

Hope youīll enjoy this / Quizz

Sponsors:

Follow me on: http://www.facebook.com/enannanvision

Last edited by quizz_kid; 24th Mar 2013 at 01:15.
quizz_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2012, 21:21   #2
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Woodwork:

Bought myself a fine piece of walnut lumber

Cut and planed pieces

24 pieces and some 7,5° cutting. Then I made 2 rounded groves along each piece, for decoration.

BRIO railway in walnut anyone???... Or just a 24 sided cylinder.

Some components for you guys:

ASRock H77M-ITX

Picked this board because of layout and color.

My old 460 will be placed under the mobo with a flexible riser.

Three 40mm fans for intake.

PSU was too big, so I took it apart.

Much better!

Components for the Arduino module.

Thank you Andreas on Aquatuning.se for the cooling system from Alphacool and Phobya!

And thank you Gareth at Corsair, for the RAMs and SSD!

Last edited by quizz_kid; 15th Oct 2012 at 15:36.
Old 14th Oct 2012, 21:24   #3
Phame
Diamond Cooling

Phame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for presidentPhame should be considered for president
This is a nice idea, good luck on it dude!
Phame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2012, 22:48   #4
C4B12
Minimalistic PC's

C4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Always nice to see your scratch builds. Love it. Looking forward to this.

Check out my website Minimalistic PC where you can find different modding projects, reviews and contests!
C4B12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 15:21   #5
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Another quizz project, & now sponsored awesome.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Oct 2012, 15:42   #6
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phame View Post
This is a nice idea, good luck on it dude!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4B12 View Post
Always nice to see your scratch builds. Love it. Looking forward to this.
Thank you... and nice to see you here mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Another quizz project, & now sponsored awesome.
Yep... Should probably change signature to "pro" now... or "owned" maybe

Old 17th Oct 2012, 22:53   #7
quizz_kid
Squid

Work from today:

Started by milling the intake on the front. This is the only decorative element on the main walnut cylinder. Going to keep it sparse and simple here, to keep the spotlights on the dome.

I placed sacrificial pieces in there before I cross cut in the milling machine, to not lose material.

After milling.

I like it! Like a abstract tree or something. Goes well with the concept I think.

Backlit.

Took away some material for the three 40mm fans. Not the best intake, but itīll help a little.

I will have a hatch in the back to facilitate assembly. Here Iīm using a 7,5° gigg for some hinge milling.

Black hinges.

Kind of discrete I think.

The backside.

Milled a hole for the radiator on the hatch, 10x10cm.

Almost ready for glue now.

Found some 5mm magnets for the hatch aswell.

Drilled holes for them.

Later! / Quizz

Old 17th Oct 2012, 23:22   #8
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
That sacrificial method is handy to know about nice to see some more workshop stuff in your logs, was never all that sure of what methods or tools you use for all steps really but it's always been clear you are awesome at this.

Sweet progress.
Old 18th Oct 2012, 00:59   #9
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
Bro, your work is sooooooo good, talented thats for sure!!! Cant wait to see how this is going to look like at the end!!!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 04:52   #10
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2012, 21:30   #11
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
That sacrificial method is handy to know about nice to see some more workshop stuff in your logs, was never all that sure of what methods or tools you use for all steps really but it's always been clear you are awesome at this.

Sweet progress.
Thanks Waynio. I know Iīve been sparse with workshop pictures before. This is my new workshop btw The zink machine Iīm working on there is a KILLER!! You can do anything with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
Bro, your work is sooooooo good, talented thats for sure!!! Cant wait to see how this is going to look like at the end!!!
Thanks AnG3L! Much appreciated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post

Some work:

Put the pieces in order

Used masking tape to keep them together

Glued under pressure. Note that I didnīt glue the pieces with red crosses. Thatīs the hatch.

After a couple of hours I removed the pressure. The cylinder is pretty fragile as it is, only 13mm thick. But I will make it more stable later and lock the cylinder with bottom and roof.

I milled inside the hatch and made a plateau for the 120mm radiator.

The zink machine is a pleasure to work with... My new favourite toy!

This is how itīll look like...

Iīm not going to use skrews from the outside so I drilled holes right through the rad.

Later!!

Old 20th Oct 2012, 09:47   #12
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Awesome work quizz. Much to learn from your project logs. The sacrificial wood for the milling is good to know, I always wonder why the ends break when I'm using the router. And the geometric constructions are always so well done. I watch.
Old 20th Oct 2012, 14:46   #13
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Awesome work quizz. Much to learn from your project logs. The sacrificial wood for the milling is good to know, I always wonder why the ends break when I'm using the router. And the geometric constructions are always so well done. I watch.
Thank you Attila. Yeah, I learned about using sacrifical pieces just a month ago, feel kinda new born

Old 20th Oct 2012, 15:12   #14
KrunchR
Supermodder

KrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Great work quizz.
KrunchR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2012, 15:30   #15
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Oooooh, real nice work quizz.
Watching what you do is really going to give me drive to try a woody project.
Old 20th Oct 2012, 17:12   #16
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
Quizz, youre giving Waynio a woody!!

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2012, 19:00   #17
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Oh, this is going to be good.
A delicious block of walnut like that is hard to come by here. Even the pine available here right now was from stuff that died during the drought. It's all cracked and crappy.
Quote:
I drilled holes right through the rad.
I'm going to assume you drilled between the tubes.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2012, 20:51   #18
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrunchR View Post
Great work quizz.
Thanks!

Quote:
Oooooh, real nice work quizz.
Watching what you do is really going to give me drive to try a woody project.
Yeah, you def should try it... Itīs like working with butter compared to metal work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Oh, this is going to be good.
A delicious block of walnut like that is hard to come by here. Even the pine available here right now was from stuff that died during the drought. It's all cracked and crappy.

I'm going to assume you drilled between the tubes.
Weīve got some really good local lumber up here, itīs a blessing
And yeah, I tried to avoid the tubes while drilling.

Just a small update today. I wanted a delicate small start button in black and copper, but even searching through ebay did me no good. Hard to come by things in copper I guess. Well, I gave up and made one myself.

Bought this 13mm push button in nickel

Had to drill some holes in the back to seperate button from nickel housing.

Seperated...

Painted the nickel in copper. Also cut and painted som mesh for the intake.

Button glued back with epoxy. Thatīs it!

Old 23rd Oct 2012, 22:41   #19
quizz_kid
Squid

More work...

Made a bottom piece in 16mm MDF and milled two groves for supporting walls inside the chassis.

Cut the two walls from an 10mm shelf I had laying around.

Test mounted stripped GPU, PSU and SSD

Airflow will pass between the walls and through the chassis.

Cut and veneered the plate for the mobo. 4mm MDF with walnut.

The plate/display will be attached to the two supporting walls with screws on top. And hereīs the h77m on top of it.

Walnut and black... I think this will look really good

Old 24th Oct 2012, 01:17   #20
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Looks sweet! Nice work preventing tear out with the sacrificial pieces when doing the vents. What do you use for milling that? Is it a metal mill, or one specific for wood?

I don't know how I missed all this... But glad I found it :-)
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode