bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 7th Nov 2012, 22:14   #1
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Canardwc has yet to learn the way of the DremelCanardwc has yet to learn the way of the DremelCanardwc has yet to learn the way of the DremelCanardwc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
RasPi - XBMC - FINISHED

New Raspberry Pi for Media Center based on XBMC.

The problems of the Raspberry are:

N1 - Need to had a powered USB HUB for more USB devices.

N2 - If you need a powered USB HUB, you need an DC/AC plug and RaspPi need another ONE. Finaly, you need TWO???? 2 for 1 small computer??? Too Bad!!!

N3 - have you ever see a RasPi? Have a look bellow. There are plug everywhere on all sides. (how do a nice little case look in those conditions?

N4 - Need a case that doesn't exist... A problem? Not really. MMMMOOOODDDDDDD

Last edited by Canardwc; 2nd Jan 2013 at 23:06.
Canardwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 22:15   #2
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Canardwc has yet to learn the way of the DremelCanardwc has yet to learn the way of the DremelCanardwc has yet to learn the way of the DremelCanardwc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Project:

Old 7th Nov 2012, 22:16   #3
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Presentations

1 - Presentations

The RasPi

The HUB

Both

Old 7th Nov 2012, 22:21   #4
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

First PROBLEM

Old 7th Nov 2012, 22:23   #5
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

So I decide to keep only one power plug for both "cards". I decide to keep the USB HUB power and condamn one port of the HUB to use it as RasPi POWER.

RasPi POWER plug (an old Noki@ charger)

Connected to the condamned USB port of the HUB.

Connecting the Hub to the RasPi

HUB connected to the RasPi

Power plug must be moved to the rear of the case

Last edited by Canardwc; 7th Nov 2012 at 23:35.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 22:28   #6
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Removing the RCA video outpout (because of the HDMI and it's on the bottom of RasPi) and prepare the mounting plate to associate RasPi and the HUB

Glued Aluminium HUB/POWER plate on the ethernet device

Last edited by Canardwc; 7th Nov 2012 at 22:36.
Old 7th Nov 2012, 23:10   #7
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Glue is dry...

Power HUB moved

2nd step, glue the hub to the plate

Old 7th Nov 2012, 23:17   #8
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Then... My discusting work is working..!

Old 7th Nov 2012, 23:22   #9
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
I like it Canard & love the additional USB ports will be awesomely small & neat.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2012, 23:32   #10
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
I like it Canard & love the additional USB ports will be awesomely small
I try to keep the interest of the RasPi.. Thks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
& neat.
And Thks Again, from you, I take it as a compliment.
I haven't the choise with the posh glue work, there are no holes on the 2 cards... no holes = no screws...

But you do an awsome job on your Scratch' Builds! And quite neat
Old 7th Nov 2012, 23:56   #11
jinq-sea
#BBERG

jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.jinq-sea is definitely a rep cheat.
I like this a lot. It's a nice change from the high-power systems. Keep us updated!
jinq-sea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2012, 02:10   #12
jay2
Indonesian Modder

jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jay2 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm still waiting my raspi delivery

an XBMC+android raspi would be great..
jay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2012, 13:18   #13
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2 View Post
I'm still waiting my raspi delivery

an XBMC+android raspi would be great..
XBMC is the best OS for RasPi i've tested yet. Light and quite reactive for this little SOC with 256mb of shared ram. Really acceptable for video and music. And the sound is really good.be patient.
Old 8th Nov 2012, 14:34   #14
C4B12
Minimalistic PC's

C4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youC4B12 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Hmm this gives me ideas!

Check out my website Minimalistic PC where you can find different modding projects, reviews and contests!
C4B12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2012, 15:44   #15
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice idea to build something really small.

What I don't understand tho, as you allready started to solder/desolder some parts... Why didn't you just desolder the power-plug of the RasPI or USB-Hub and make a permanent wired connection between the two boards? Same for the USB-ports ofc. Would've been even better imho and it would look neater aswell.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2012, 16:17   #16
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Nice idea to build something really small.

What I don't understand tho, as you allready started to solder/desolder some parts... Why didn't you just desolder the power-plug of the RasPI or USB-Hub and make a permanent wired connection between the two boards? Same for the USB-ports ofc. Would've been even better imho and it would look neater aswell.
Sizing question; have you ever weld micro usb on printed circuit? TOO SMALL!!!

But if I could, I'll do.
Old 8th Nov 2012, 16:18   #17
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4B12 View Post
Hmm this gives me ideas!
A RasPi in aluminim coc@ col@ bottle??
Old 8th Nov 2012, 16:20   #18
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canardwc View Post
Sizing question; have you ever weld micro usb on printed circuit? TOO SMALL!!!

But if I could, I'll do.
Ah OK. Thought you'd have some equipment to solder SMD-components

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Nov 2012, 17:16   #19
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Ah OK. Thought you'd have some equipment to solder SMD-components
Unfortunatly, don't have those kind of equipments...

I do with stuff on board
Old 8th Nov 2012, 18:14   #20
Canardwc
Gentel-Mod'R

A real test: on Youtube, follow the link bellow
I know, poor quality. Thkx to my Nokio N8-00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udh7F6L3vMc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by Canardwc; 8th Nov 2012 at 20:45.

View Mode